Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Apr 1, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,322 of 3,858
Impression of the Niimbus US 5 Pro and Ferrum Hypsos OOR. Impression is based on the paring with the Utopia and Susvara.

I will be solely focussing on the sonic aspect of the two amps.

The width of the sound stage with the US 5 Pro slightly ahead of the OOR. The stage with the US 5 Pro slightly sounded wider to the left and right. Whereas for the depth of the stage, the OOR has a slightly upper hand, some instruments sounded further back at the stage. It may be due to tuning and the blacker background in the OOR, it sounded there are more contrast between black areas and color, this creates a deeper stage. The black background contributes to the presentation of the stage and positioning of instruments on the stage. The size of all instruments and vocals are very well controlled with an accurate amount of space added between them, as if the resolution is enhanced slightly.

The tuning and tonality of the US 5 Pro is very neutral. I really agree with the sonical description that it is a reliable " tool " for music amplification. It does not have much sonical character or coloration to it. It is studio monitor quality neutral, it does not exaggerate your bass, does not add any additional emotion to the vocals, highs are extended and articulated as a studio monitor reference signature. It reveals exactly what is given to it from your upper front gear. It is extremely transparent to it point that it makes everything up front counts including your DAC, XLR analog cable, power cable and even your power source. It is a reliable Tool or a professional device for you to evaluate and compare your headphones and DAC. It is the most neutral and well balance amp that I have came across. Perfectly studio monitor neutral and reference quality in all aspects including tonality, details and staging.

The tuning and tonality of the Hypsos and OOR stack is exactly as it is discussed on this thread. As most of us here have a general consensus that the tuning of the Hypsos and OOR leans slightly warmth of neutral. The higher frequency is also very detailed while being very well controlled in quantity to ensure no excessive hotness or brightness for particular headphones. The tonality characteristic of the Hypsos OOR and tuned with one sole purpose in mind, is to create a musical amp that enables you to enjoy music at the top level of detail and transparency for an extended period of time without fatigue. The Hypsos OOR is not a neutral amp, it has a very slight tasteful coloration to it.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,323 of 3,858
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,324 of 3,858
That's a dusty environment! :)
Looks downright pristine compared to the bullshittily ridiculous amount of dust that forms in my room daily -.-

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,325 of 3,858
Apr 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,326 of 3,858
Well, my hopes have been somewhat dashed in creating a transportable set up with the Orr. I got a 3.5mm to RCA cable and my Susvara only sounds okay with all of my DAPs. N8ii sounds too analytical and bright since tube mode can't be used in line out. N6ii has better bass, but lacks resolution in the treble. RS6 has glorious treble but terrible bass. I have a 4.4mm to dual Xlr cable on order which could make a difference in the bass. But I am now less excited about it.

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,327 of 3,858
Well, my hopes have been somewhat dashed in creating a transportable set up with the Orr. I got a 3.5mm to RCA cable and my Susvara only sounds okay with all of my DAPs. N8ii sounds too analytical and bright since tube mode can't be used in line out. N6ii has better bass, but lacks resolution in the treble. RS6 has glorious treble but terrible bass. I have a 4.4mm to dual Xlr cable on order which could make a difference in the bass. But I am now less excited about it.
you could always give a P6 Pro a try (it has a true LO with a passive pre). P6 Pro -> Oor is what caused me to buy susvara at canjam

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,328 of 3,858
you could always give a P6 Pro a try (it has a true LO with a passive pre). P6 Pro -> Oor is what caused me to buy susvara at canjam
Yeah, it sounded great with SP1000. I am probably not going to buy a P6 Pro, then buy music since I won't be able to stream with it. Maybe it's just that my m scaler and TT2 is so much better that I can't unhear it.

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,329 of 3,858
IMG_20211216_093517.jpg

The Hypsos OOR actually adds a lot of resolution to the HD6XX.

Yup. I concur.

It's fun to see more mention of this after posting my similar findings hahaha. I was expecting myself to be the only weirdo who'd try a 6 series on a stack like this lmao. I guess that makes three of us so far hahaha.

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,330 of 3,858
It's fun to see more mention of this after posting my similar findings hahaha. I was expecting myself to be the only weirdo who'd try a 6 series on a stack like this lmao. I guess that makes three of us so far hahaha.
We Senn HD600 fans have always said that the HD600 “scales up” unbelievably with great -> ultra gear. 👍

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #1,331 of 3,858
I talked about the 650 in my video review of the oor hypsos some time back

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #1,334 of 3,858
We Senn HD600 fans have always said that the HD600 “scales up” unbelievably with great -> ultra gear. 👍
Sure, but let's not pretend that it makes it comparable to any TOTL headphone. It turns a $300 headphone into one that sounds like a $750 headphone.

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #1,335 of 3,858
I definitely feel like they're no slouch for sure! I tend to lean on my other cans given the choice, but I wrote elsewhere that there's something about the HD650 that for me at least is like a warm blanket that I know I can always return to if I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back