Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 12, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #1,126 of 3,851
Switching between musetec mh-da005 and holo may kte
I know we discussed DACs before but would you say that the musetec is a good complement to the May? @teknorob23 In my mind, a good complement to the May would be more forward sounding since the May can be a bit laidback.

Sorry, don’t mean to derail the thread at all but just a tiny detour. 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #1,127 of 3,851
I know we discussed DACs before but would you say that the musetec is a good complement to the May? @teknorob23 In my mind, a good complement to the May would be more forward sounding since the May can be a bit laidback.

That's fine, we're already in Susvara-ville, lol. What's another detour? :)

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,128 of 3,851
I apologize but I should have explained that I do not know how to respond your advice regarding EQ, as I am not a big fan of EQ and would rather use system synergy or swap headphone outright than alter the default tuning of a pair of cans. I am getting 4V through my Bifrost 2's balanced XLR outputs into the OOR. My MacBook Pro's music player's digital volume is at 100% volume, I have not enhanced it in any way. The Bifrost 2 DAC did not show any fault since its arrival, my Susvara was bought new (it was unboxed in front of my eyes for demo for 90 minutes before purchase). Thanks for all the advice but I think at this point it's due to me really disliking the Susvara for my music. PM replied.

I understand that certain genres such as pure piano, jazz and orchestral do not really require the bass slam. But the flat tuning of the Susvara and lack of any mid-bass boost actually makes vocals thin and lifeless and hiding in the back. Half hour into any session it gets incredibly boring and emotionally disconnecting. The constant softness and lack of impact really get to me and cause frustration amidst its obviously technical chops in soundstaging and resolving power.

I also took a hard look at the EF 1000, and its rarity meant I did not have chance to try it. But the price is shocking, at first it looks like a tremendously powerful amp but when you do the conversion at 60 Ohms it is more or less delivering the same kind of voltage as OOR in XLR output. Maybe the synergy is optimal since it was developed specifically for it by the same manufacturer. At that price point I would rather get something extravagant like WA33EE than just a single amp catered for one single product. Hmm ....
So now that I have my Hypsos and Oor I can indeed say that the bass has less punch than my A90. What's weird is everything else besides the bass seems like it punches harder though.

Which is really weird. It obviously hasn't had a chance to break in yet but still these are my current observations (I've only been using it about 30 minutes so far across a wide range of music.)

Edit: I do want to say even though the punch isn't as hard it's more clear. The Oor/Hypsos sounds more defined and refined. Probably the most detailed stack I've owned and tested yet.

I'm on a D90SE (In 5v mode) myself on Silver Dragon Interconnects and a Silver Dragon Susvara cable.

Edit 2: I wonder if I use the A90 as a Pre... hmm tests for later. I have a few things I need to go out and do before I do all this Frankenstein testing.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,130 of 3,851
hoping to get one of these soon to compare against AHB2 with susvara

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,133 of 3,851
Mar 12, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #1,134 of 3,851
What don't you like?
I’ve been trying to piece that together and it might just be the quality of the soundtracks. Vocals in some of my tracks have been recessed. I figured it might be the source so iI tried some lossless of the same pieces and it got better.

So it could very well be the pieces I was listening to. Given just how well this setup reveals crappy file types and mastering.

One other thing someone else mentioned that I also noticed. I took my Hypsos/Oor off of my conditioner and it feels like it hits harder in the dynamics and bass. It obviously wasn’t by much though.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,135 of 3,851

I’m not sure. Initially when I’d only listened to the May briefly, I would have said yes and agreed it can be laid back, but having spent a decent amount of time with it in both my hp and 2 channel set ups im struggling to find a weakness in the May. The musetec is ever so slightly more forward but it’s stage sounds compressed by comparison and while it’s very detailed, it’s harder to pick out the nuances in the way it’s easy with the May. I listen to mainly electronica like biosphere, Four Tet, autechre, etc and I’m devout fan of the Utopias which are obvs know slouch.

Just to take us a little further off the ferrum slopes, I’ve been listening to the May via the holo serene preamp. It has plenty enough juice for utopias out of the second pair of xlr outputs and wow, overall clarity is lifts considerably, but despite being neutral compared to the ferrum there’s more weight and attack is quicker too. In 2 channel it’s equally amazing. I have listened to quite few very high end preamps and this is right up there and in tandem with the May it’s outstanding and at a fraction of the price. Seriously accomplished and I’m not sure how holo can do this for the price. I doubt there’s enough there for the susvaras, but I know the pure headamp version called the Bliss, is due sometime this year which will sort this and has to be one of the most exciting up coming launches.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,136 of 3,851
I’m not sure. Initially when I’d only listened to the May briefly, I would have said yes and agreed it can be laid back, but having spent a decent amount of time with it in both my hp and 2 channel set ups im struggling to find a weakness in the May. The musetec is ever so slightly more forward but it’s stage sounds compressed by comparison and while it’s very detailed, it’s harder to pick out the nuances in the way it’s easy with the May. I listen to mainly electronica like biosphere, Four Tet, autechre, etc and I’m devout fan of the Utopias which are obvs know slouch.

Just to take us a little further off the ferrum slopes, I’ve been listening to the May via the holo serene preamp. It has plenty enough juice for utopias out of the second pair of xlr outputs and wow, overall clarity is lifts considerably, but despite being neutral compared to the ferrum there’s more weight and attack is quicker too. In 2 channel it’s equally amazing. I have listened to quite few very high end preamps and this is right up there and in tandem with the May it’s outstanding and at a fraction of the price. Seriously accomplished and I’m not sure how holo can do this for the price. I doubt there’s enough there for the susvaras, but I know the pure headamp version called the Bliss, is due sometime this year which will sort this and has to be one of the most exciting up coming launches.
Holo products are indeed shockingly good for the price once people have spent enough time with them.

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,137 of 3,851
On my second day with the Erco/Hypsos stack. Still figuring it out but I like what I hear so far. I got this for standalone use on my desk for headphones and IEMs (4.4mm jack is appreciated for IEMs) but for fun might feed it with other DACs after I get itchy. I’ve heard OOR at Canjam NYC but haven’t spent time with it at home.

First words that came to mind after listening: refined, clean, smooth with some guts down low. Enjoyable at louder volumes. I can sense what sound they were focusing on and I think many people will find this easy to like (call it musical or whatever vague term with good control).

Black background even with IEMs. Good control on volume and no issues with channel imbalance. Enough power for all full sized headphones so far but haven’t busted out my OG HE-6. Happy with what it’s doing with LDC-5 but need more time with that combo. Spending more time with Utopia since I’m digging that the most. Bold, big sound without that edge of harshness I sometimes get with other combos.

I like how the midrange is handled. It seems full but not heavy/overly weighty but loses a bit of micro details in texture. Comparing to DX240 amp8.2 using Elysian Annihilator the mids seems smoother and more natural/full, taking away some of the sparkly airiness/thinness in the upper midrange/treble (which presents the space and vocal placement in an addictive way). So this could be a good thing or bad thing.

Compared to MS/Dave (mostly direct, but did quickly plug into Phonitor X, GSKmk2, and Cayin C9), the biggest thing I lose with Erco is the extreme holography/dimensionality, separation, and resolution. On MS/Dave I get sucked into the music mostly through these aspects, which adds to the timing and realism. I have to check again but on busier complex music Erco has a harder time controlling things to keep up with Dave. I have the OG Hugo and I would say it’s behind that also in this regard, but on par/better than iFi Pro iDSD.

Listening to Erco I go into a different listening zone, similar to the Shanling M30. First, I crank the volume up more since I can on the Erco without it getting too hot or fatiguing. It’s more relaxed and smooth with doing a good job with details. It’s fun, involving, and good enough technically with good power and control for headphones and easy to use for IEMs.

This is good stuff. Still early days so my thoughts might change.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,138 of 3,851
A good 200+ hrs on my Hypsos/OOR fed by Antipodes DX server and Chord TT2/mscaler and I'm shocked at just how much superior is performance compared to TT2's direct hp out...in every area you care to name. I shan't go into fine detail re said performance...enough has been covered already elsewhere - and comprehensively IMHO over at 6 Moons.

In short, although addicted to tubes for some years now, I finally feel that SS has come of age with these offerings from Poland such as to banish any thoughts of returning to the glass wonders that I now increasingly suspect cannot/will not match this delivery in so many respects...particularly re. purity of reproduction; total absence of 'noise'/distortion/seductive (but illusory) 'coloration'; speed; rhythmic mastery etc. etc.

Needless to say, I'm sure any perceived 'failings' will most likely be down to system matching/quality therein, and even to simple settings...for example, I personally found significant differences between setting Hypsos at 28V instead of 24V...my own setup (and ears!) much preferring the higher o/p. Overall performance also benefited from using OOR's high gain with TT2's 'amp' out setting at the normal for my Empyreans, as opposed to (OOR's) 0. HOWEVER, when I changed my SE hp connector to an XLR, OOR's mid gain setting gave a much superior sound. Using the 4 pin FPL DC power link also changes things for the better.

I would also submit that one doesn't need to spend $6000 or so on Susvaras to enjoy supreme sound...with an upgraded cable, these more(?!) affordable Empyreans are now delivering a sound beyond my wildest expectations. I would say however, that they need something like mono crystal OCC silver wire (eg Neotech's UP-OCC) to really shine...(I combine with Neotech's OCC copper - both solid, in my own DIY cable). And no doubt use of this amazing wire throughout the system - in a dual configuration for all signal and AC/DC cables also helps things along. OK...commercially very costly, but worth honing one's DIY skills or begging a good friend/acquaintance to do the honours lol! :wink:

And so, with attention to details as aforementioned, I'm quite sure this Ferrum combo is a match for equipment that hits the wallet with a much greater thud...with each new track I've used for tube assessment over the years I become more in awe of this gear's potential.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,139 of 3,851
Dear GoldenOne,

Your YouTube channel is well and professionally done. I greatly appreciate your reviews and explanations. I got the Serum Oor with the Hypsos. How do I know I didn't get one with "issues"? I bought it from a reputable website store. BTW, any idea where I can buy the Singxer SDA-6 Pro Dac?
Any that have been delivered to customers afaik have had the fixes applied.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,140 of 3,851
A good 200+ hrs on my Hypsos/OOR fed by Antipodes DX server and Chord TT2/mscaler and I'm shocked at just how much superior is performance compared to TT2's direct hp out...in every area you care to name. I shan't go into fine detail re said performance...enough has been covered already elsewhere - and comprehensively IMHO over at 6 Moons.

In short, although addicted to tubes for some years now, I finally feel that SS has come of age with these offerings from Poland such as to banish any thoughts of returning to the glass wonders that I now increasingly suspect cannot/will not match this delivery in so many respects...particularly re. purity of reproduction; total absence of 'noise'/distortion/seductive (but illusory) 'coloration'; speed; rhythmic mastery etc. etc.

Needless to say, I'm sure any perceived 'failings' will most likely be down to system matching/quality therein, and even to simple settings...for example, I personally found significant differences between setting Hypsos at 28V instead of 24V...my own setup (and ears!) much preferring the higher o/p. Overall performance also benefited from using OOR's high gain with TT2's 'amp' out setting at the normal for my Empyreans, as opposed to (OOR's) 0. HOWEVER, when I changed my SE hp connector to an XLR, OOR's mid gain setting gave a much superior sound. Using the 4 pin FPL DC power link also changes things for the better.

I would also submit that one doesn't need to spend $6000 or so on Susvaras to enjoy supreme sound...with an upgraded cable, these more(?!) affordable Empyreans are now delivering a sound beyond my wildest expectations. I would say however, that they need something like mono crystal OCC silver wire (eg Neotech's UP-OCC) to really shine...(I combine with Neotech's OCC copper - both solid, in my own DIY cable). And no doubt use of this amazing wire throughout the system - in a dual configuration for all signal and AC/DC cables also helps things along. OK...commercially very costly, but worth honing one's DIY skills or begging a good friend/acquaintance to do the honours lol! :wink:

And so, with attention to details as aforementioned, I'm quite sure this Ferrum combo is a match for equipment that hits the wallet with a much greater thud...with each new track I've used for tube assessment over the years I become more in awe of this gear's potential.
I personally prefer the Silver cables myself. Silver changes the presentation considerably and I prefer it to both Copper and Silver plated Copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back