Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #961 of 3,851
Am wondering a bit about the necessity of remote control for headphone usage or do you guys have 3m cables attached sitting in some distant armchair?
My cables are usually too short (and too expensive to be too long 😉)

Feb 17, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #962 of 3,851
Am wondering a bit about the necessity of remote control for headphone usage or do you guys have 3m cables attached sitting in some distant armchair?
Hah! My reach is a lot less than 3 meters! My listening chair is about 4 feet from where the gear is situated - my cables are 8 feet long. When listening in 'shuffle' mode, I often have to be constantly adjusting the sound level...

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #964 of 3,851
Some photos of the @Ferrum Audio OOR and Hypsos.

F40F2AD8-5778-4544-A576-FBF521BE580D.JPG

I have been listening to the Susvaras more in the last week, than I have, in the past year.

13A50B8B-CB23-4DF5-9F8A-E8BF8D58E5CD.JPG

I also really like the HD650 off it, go figure, lol. It also drives the TC well. Some do prefer tubes with the TC, so that's that.

2A9980CA-B4E3-4BE8-A16C-627245455E82.JPG

Overall, really enjoying the stack.

03A86DFA-31D8-42AC-8708-20C0D55D341D.JPG

Hope to do more detailed write-ups and vids in the future...

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #965 of 3,851
Some photos of the @Ferrum Audio OOR and Hypsos.

F40F2AD8-5778-4544-A576-FBF521BE580D.JPG

I have been listening to the Susvaras more in the last week, than I have, in the past year.

13A50B8B-CB23-4DF5-9F8A-E8BF8D58E5CD.JPG

I also really like the HD650 off it, go figure, lol. It also drives the TC well. Some do prefer tubes with the TC, so that's that.

2A9980CA-B4E3-4BE8-A16C-627245455E82.JPG

Overall, really enjoying the stack.

03A86DFA-31D8-42AC-8708-20C0D55D341D.JPG
Hope to do more detailed write-ups and vids in the future...
Know whatcha mean about the Susvaras - you can listen to 'em through this thing (I assume you're using + gain?) and say, "This sounds GREAT!" without putting a 'but....' after it. Susvara sounds great through this full stop. So do Utopia and LCD-5's for that matter. SS with no dryness and a bit of warmth, I'd say... Enjoy!

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #966 of 3,851
Know whatcha mean about the Susvaras - you can listen to 'em through this thing (I assume you're using + gain?) and say, "This sounds GREAT!" without putting a 'but....' after it. Susvara sounds great through this full stop. So do Utopia and LCD-5's for that matter. SS with no dryness and a bit of warmth, I'd say... Enjoy!
From May in balanced (5.8v) it has enough for Susvara and TC on 0 gain 💪 which sounds even smoother and cleaner.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #967 of 3,851
Yes, the stack sounds great, period. So much so, I might sell the SR009S after this. The Susvara also sounds tactile and just right. Not too warm, not cold, but natural.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #968 of 3,851

Professional as always :) now waiting for the follow up :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #971 of 3,851
Yes, I listen to music in my Ikea Pöang and, although is near my desk, the 3 meter cable of all my headphones elongate at maximum when listening to music. I also plan to conect my active monitors to the AIO (talking about Erco) and I need a remote in both cases.

When I have the money to upgrade my AIO, I will ask to the guys at Ferrum if they have a solution for that (maybe a separated IR receiver or something, like the guys at Flux labs do).

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #972 of 3,851
Yes, I listen to music in my Ikea Pöang and, although is near my desk, the 3 meter cable of all my headphones elongate at maximum when listening to music. I also plan to conect my active monitors to the AIO (talking about Erco) and I need a remote in both cases.

When I have the money to upgrade my AIO, I will ask to the guys at Ferrum if they have a solution for that (maybe a separated IR receiver or something, like the guys at Flux labs do).
Latest with monitors / loudspeakers the remote is really useful.
Strange that Ferrum is allowing the usage of an Apple Remote for the Hypsos though.
Both Oor and Erco seem to be designed for pure "analogue" frontend usage with physical buttons to be turned and no digital interface like Hypsos.
Am no technical engineer but I am wondering if the implementation is allowing remote control by any means...

Edit: as you mentioned Flux, I used to own a Flux FA-10 and though it also appeared to be quite "physical" without any digital interface it indeed offered an IR receiver to be attached at the back and the volume wheel had a built-in electric motor which could be steered by the IR remote control.
Apple remote technology is based on Bluetooth, so it allows controlling the receiver even if it's hidden inside of some rack.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #973 of 3,851
From May in balanced (5.8v) it has enough for Susvara and TC on 0 gain 💪 which sounds even smoother and cleaner.
I was beginning to think that I was alone in this, still that is how I listen - I am using a Spring V3 KTE, also 5.8v balanced output into the Hypsos/Orr set to XLR and 0, and find it to be much smoother and with enough gain to work Susvara at my preferred comfort SPL level and beyond, if desired vs. setting the gain to +dB on the Orr.

With the Orr, working from the XLR input with the gain switch set to '0', it is still 6dB gain over if working SE from the RCA and gain switch set to 0.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #974 of 3,851
I think I ve read before in this thread that there shouldn't be a difference of the Gain levels if volume is matched and I have to say I also used to play Susvara at 0 DB before but since owning TC I think my taste has changed towards maximizing the experience of maximum dynamic range, detail and resolution.
0DB is appearing a little more lush and a tad warmer to my ears but the maximum Gain setting is nevertheless my Go to setting meanwhile fed with XLR from either Shanling M30 (might sell that one soon) or Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #975 of 3,851
Anyone compare this to Pro iCan Signature using an LCD5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back