Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #646 of 3,846
Agreed, I see myswlf having both Oor and the GT for different use cases. Large hall electronica sounded unbelievable on the GT, you don't really care that much about the natural timbre, precise imeging or the fact that some lines are smeared, but the overall scale and envelopping sound is literally jaw dropping ...

... it may happen that I'll get the GT back again ...

I would go as far as saying that those particular amps sound so different, that its almost like getting another set of headphones.
I'm not getting any of those negatives, but then again, I'm using a PSaudio Power Plant + Hypsos + upgraded power cables.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #647 of 3,846
I'm not getting any of those negatives, but then again, I'm using a PSaudio Power Plant + Hypsos + upgraded power cables.
If I get GT back, ill try it again on the PC5000 with different filtering levels and see what it does. Im curious now :) its only when you do critical listening back to back you notice the differences.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #648 of 3,846
Has anyone else compared the Hypos vs ifi Elite with the Oor?

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #649 of 3,846
It seems the Hypsos and OOR have a very high quality of clarity and detail that excels above a lot of other solid-state amps. To a small degree, the clarity may take away a bit of the width of the sound stage. Since you hear the detail so clearly, it might not sound so far away. While some amps have slightly less clarity or some things are presented in a slightly vague manner, that makes the instrument on the left and right sound slightly further away.

Imo, the OOR almost has the best presentation in width and depth. It is extremely accurate and does not exaggerate it. If the recoding is an live recording, sense of space is well presented. If the recording is inside a small studio, it is presented as it is. The Hypsos and OOR is a truly transparent amp. What makes the Hypsos and OOR so good is that the amp does not achieve clarity and detail by adding fake brightness into the music. Instead, the Hypsos and OOR are very so slightly warm in presentation with the fatigue-free listening experience.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #650 of 3,846
It seems the Hypsos and OOR have a very high quality of clarity and detail that excels above a lot of other solid-state amps. To a small degree, the clarity may take away a bit of the width of the sound stage. Since you hear the detail so clearly, it might not sound so far away. While some amps have slightly less clarity may make the instrument on the left and right sound slightly further away.

Imo, the OOR almost has the best presentation in width and depth. It is extremely accurate and does not exaggerate it. If the recoding is an live recording, sense of space is well presented. If the recording is inside a small studio, it is presented as it is. The Hypsos and OOR is a truly transparent amp.
This is something that I noticed with really good mixes when you have instruments moving, like harp plucks that play out in quick sequence but each pluck is happening in a slightly different place. Those little nuances Hypsos Oor is capturing so precisely you have to hear it to believe it, especially on sets that do large stage and laser sharp imaging like TC and Susvara.

Dec 27, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #651 of 3,846
I've been looking for another headphone amp to add to my stable - I've got a couple of good tube ones, and Eddie Current Studio B and an Auris Nirvana, but I'd like to see how something else would work thrown into the mix, and what I'm reading about this Ferrum gear, I like. I'd be using it with a Holo May KTE DAC or an MSB Analog DAC as the source, and my headphone stable right now is Susvara, Utopia, and LCD-5. So much to mix and match and see what combinations I like best! I was looking at an Enleum, as those seem to be available now, but I'm going to buy a Ferrum stack instead... Looking forward!! :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #652 of 3,846
I've been looking for another headphone amp to add to my stable - I've got a couple of good tube ones, and Eddie Current Studio B and an Auris Nirvana, but I'd like to see how something else would work thrown into the mix, and what I'm reading about this Ferrum gear, I like. I'd be using it with a Holo May KTE DAC or an MSB Analog DAC as the source, and my headphone stable right now is Susvara, Utopia, and LCD-5. So much to mix and match and see what combinations I like best! I was looking at an Enleum, as those seem to be available now, but I'm going to buy a Ferrum stack instead... Looking forward!! :)
Nice one, works and looks great paired with May Utopia and Susvara, it will be interesting to see how it plays with LCD5. Let us know :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #653 of 3,846

I have tried the Auris Nirvana and the Ferrum Hypsos and OOR is just as good in another way. Don't let stereotypes affect you, given the Ferrum is such a small amp compared to your tube alternative, it sounded really amazing. Really look forward to your impression of the Vertie Open.

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #654 of 3,846
I had a bit of an adventure with trying to return my Soloist GT ... in the end I managed to get the package back after it got stuck at FedEx for about a month 0_o xD

Anyway, in the meantime I got the Susvara and Hypsos + Oor for Christmas and I decided to keep the GT for now at least (too much stress with customs and couriers to bother for now) and just enjoy the music.

But I did some comparisons (also using the conditioner) and came to some interesting conclusions.

- Hypsos + Oor is a a lot warmer and fuller; GT is more ethereal and has more upper mids / trebble energy
- The difference in tuning affects the sound stage a bit, GT is slightly wider (but that has been said already), but the difference is minor really and depends on the track.

Now the interesting bit about the pairings ...
- Oor was developed as a pairing for Susvara, and it works great, but for me GT is a better pairing for Susvara. It injects a bit more life and sharpness into this very smooth and balanced headphone making it, at least for me, a bit more pleasurable. There is a cost to that tho and the cost is losing a bit of the natural timbre Susvara is known for. So if you want maximum timbre then Oor still wins hands down, but GT makes Susvara a more of a generalist headphone.
- Funnily enough Oor is the best pairing I've eaver heard for the 1266 TC. The same way as the GT inects some extra air and life into the Susvara making it more exciting (for me of course), Oor is taming this in the TC to great effect. TC is the most controlled and balanced I've ever heard it running from H+O.

... so ... hmm 🤷‍♂️ also running GT + supercharger from a power conditioner makes it a bit more controlled and restores some upper band details if anyone is interested (@Tubewin already mentioned that and inspired me to first get a conditioner and then test it).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #655 of 3,846
I have tried the Auris Nirvana and the Ferrum Hypsos and OOR is just as good in another way. Don't let stereotypes affect you, given the Ferrum is such a small amp compared to your tube alternative, it sounded really amazing. Really look forward to your impression of the Vertie Open.
Hi Gavin! Not sure if I'll be able to give you an impression through the VO's, as I'm putting them up for sale. Beautiful headphones, great sound, but just missing something for me that I get with Susvara and Utopia - jury still out on LCD-5! Happy New Year!! :beerchug:

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #656 of 3,846
I had a bit of an adventure with trying to return my Soloist GT ... in the end I managed to get the package back after it got stuck at FedEx for about a month 0_o xD

Anyway, in the meantime I got the Susvara and Hypsos + Oor for Christmas and I decided to keep the GT for now at least (too much stress with customs and couriers to bother for now) and just enjoy the music.

But I did some comparisons (also using the conditioner) and came to some interesting conclusions.

- Hypsos + Oor is a a lot warmer and fuller; GT is more ethereal and has more upper mids / trebble energy
- The difference in tuning affects the sound stage a bit, GT is slightly wider (but that has been said already), but the difference is minor really and depends on the track.

Now the interesting bit about the pairings ...
- Oor was developed as a pairing for Susvara, and it works great, but for me GT is a better pairing for Susvara. It injects a bit more life and sharpness into this very smooth and balanced headphone making it, at least for me, a bit more pleasurable. There is a cost to that tho and the cost is losing a bit of the natural timbre Susvara is known for. So if you want maximum timbre then Oor still wins hands down, but GT makes Susvara a more of a generalist headphone.
- Funnily enough Oor is the best pairing I've eaver heard for the 1266 TC. The same way as the GT inects some extra air and life into the Susvara making it more exciting (for me of course), Oor is taming this in the TC to great effect. TC is the most controlled and balanced I've ever heard it running from H+O.

... so ... hmm 🤷‍♂️ also running GT + supercharger from a power conditioner makes it a bit more controlled and restores some upper band details if anyone is interested (@Tubewin already mentioned that and inspired me to first get a conditioner and then test it).
I feel that Hypsos‘ transparent qualities pair better with good r2r like Holo’s smooth and analog-sounding offerings, while GT which has a smooth analog sound pairs better with the more incisive Chord Dacs.

Any amp with an upgraded power supply sounds significantly better from stock PSU right, including Oor. Have people tried other PSUs for the Oor other than the Hypsos? There’s a lot of good options available and I would be very curious how the Oor will sound when compared with Hypsos vs with a very good linear PSU.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #658 of 3,846
Does anybody recommend a dealer in the US? Seems like it’s MSRP across the board in which case might as well just order directly from Ferrum.
I'm getting mine from Tone of Audio in San Francisco; in fact, Tim from Tone is bringing by Oor and Hypsos tomorrow!

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #659 of 3,846
Any advice on which amp would be fitting better? Oor + Hypsos Vs. Vio 550pro???

I usually don't write in Forums but read threads from first to last page if the topic is of interest to me.

Set up:
SOtM 200 Ultra - Gustard X26 Pro - ??? - Focal Clear OG /// future HP has to be anything other than Dynamic - having either Audeze LCD-X or even LCD 5 in mind!!!
Most importantly: music is electronic, not your typical EDM, most of it not found on streaming platforms, techno in it's various forms, D&B and ambient type...
Hesitant to ask audiophiles who probably wouldn't consider that music, but to be honest I have YouTubers and reviewers attitudes in mind. Not to forget the importance of bass performance which should go without saying...
Any suggestions welcome, even if you think of something (DAC, hp, amp) entirely different. Peace and greetings from austria.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #660 of 3,846
Any advice on which amp would be fitting better? Oor + Hypsos Vs. Vio 550pro???

I usually don't write in Forums but read threads from first to last page if the topic is of interest to me.

Set up:
SOtM 200 Ultra - Gustard X26 Pro - ??? - Focal Clear OG /// future HP has to be anything other than Dynamic - having either Audeze LCD-X or even LCD 5 in mind!!!
Most importantly: music is electronic, not your typical EDM, most of it not found on streaming platforms, techno in it's various forms, D&B and ambient type...
Hesitant to ask audiophiles who probably wouldn't consider that music, but to be honest I have YouTubers and reviewers attitudes in mind. Not to forget the importance of bass performance which should go without saying...
Any suggestions welcome, even if you think of something (DAC, hp, amp) entirely different. Peace and greetings from austria.
Hah I listen to all sorts including underground techno and dnb 🍻

I would start with picking up a headphone first and then an amp and dac for it. For techno I would start with auditioning 1266 TC, Utopia, Empyrean / Elite and LCD5, chances are 1266 TC wins ... if it does get Oor + Hypsos for it and a smooth dac. Some people say this is the best setup for electronica 🤷‍♂️🤠

Users who are viewing this thread

Back