Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #586 of 3,852
You are right
As my TC is so new I still have a new toy syndrome but I confirm that listening with TC out of OOR I don't feel that timbre and enjoyment of vocals and so called Susvara disciplines is lacking.
TC in that pairing is a much better all-rounder than I expected from the reviews before
TC is an absolute person to get to sound smooth or natural, with good dynamics accross the board and good bass. H+O is the first amp I've heard that is able to do that. When you have a chance try it with some harsher amps like Bursons on Vivid op amps etc. or just play with the voltage on Hypsos. It's a miracle it sounds as natural and balanced as it does on H+O nominal voltage. Ferrum has done an exceptional job with tuning.

Dec 16, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #587 of 3,852
When you have a chance try it with some harsher amps like Bursons on Vivid op amps etc.
I would but needed to sell all my old gear to help financing my current TOTL gear 😉
Next step: Spring 3 KTE into the chain

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #588 of 3,852
I would but needed to sell all my old gear to help financing my current TOTL gear 😉
Hah, I mean try it at a store or at a meet, mates place etc. : ) If Spring 3 is anything like my May you will not regret it : )

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #589 of 3,852
Hah, I mean try it at a store or at a meet, mates place etc. : ) If Spring 3 is anything like my May you will not regret it : )
Crazy times with Corona and child caring currently prevent flexibility for such events unfortunately but after researching and encouragements of mates like @OneEyedHito I went for the Spring 3

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #590 of 3,852
The May is amazing for sure :D

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #591 of 3,852
I'm listening to the TC now, through the Qutest/Hypsos/OOR. It sounds magnificent, very enjoyable indeed. I do need high gain, 12 o clock for the TC. But it's approaching the sound quality of my setup 1, at a much lower cost. Not quite, the Dave / M Scaler is next level, but the bang for the buck of this combo is outstanding IMHO.

And the TC remains the GOAT, for me.. 😊 A class of its own, among headphones.

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #593 of 3,852
It would be interesting to directly compare the Hypsos Oor to the formula, Powerman using the same source and 1266
This is what I had to say about it earlier. (Not all that much):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fer...fier-with-a-soul.958541/page-19#post-16633827

Listening more to setup 2 with the TC, there is a little bit of wow factor missing, vs setup 1. Whether that's due to the difference in DACs or amps, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the DAC. Still sounds great though.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #594 of 3,852
I have the Ferrum Kit combined with the Spring 3 KTE and it is a great match sonically. I agree with Kay to not stack these pieces they get warm to the touch side by side after several hours on so stacking for me would be too much heat so close to me not to mention how it might affect the equipment.

Heat is definitely the enemy but I noticed some other things while unstacking... Sound quality seemed to step up a notch ever so slightly.

It makes sense as you don't really want to place a transformer (and other electrical components from the power supply) directly on top or adjacent to your sensitive audio circuitry.

The same principle goes for TOTL 2-channel preamps with two chassis. It's not a good idea to place the power supply unit RIGHT next to or on top of the sensitive audio circuits in the other chassis.

Adjacent is always better than on top.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #595 of 3,852

Better get the May for best results with the separate power supply stack, just perfect match with the OOR Hypsos stack.

I put my OOR stack side by side, becaise heat will build up and accumulate if I stack them up on top of each other.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #596 of 3,852
This is what I had to say about it earlier. (Not all that much):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fer...fier-with-a-soul.958541/page-19#post-16633827

Listening more to setup 2 with the TC, there is a little bit of wow factor missing, vs setup 1. Whether that's due to the difference in DACs or amps, I'm not sure, but I suspect it's the DAC. Still sounds great though.
I’ve mentioned this before but I’ll say it again. I’m very surprised in the headfi world how little respect the source gets. Personally I would take the very best source over the very best amp. It’s that important. So yes I’m not surprised setup 1 beats setup 2. Setup 2 is almost entry level DAC by Chord and setup 1 is the flashship DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #597 of 3,852
Better get the May for best results with the separate power supply stack, just perfect match with the OOR Hypsos stack.
Maybe one day.
But I got the Spring3 KTE for far less than half of the price of the May KTE and that's all I can afford right now after getting Susvara, Ferrum stack, TC and JPS SC cable this year.
From what I read the Spring 3 KTE is quite decent and a bigger jump from Spring 2 than Spring 3 to May.
But of course I d like to get May one day 😉

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #598 of 3,852
Maybe one day.
But I got the Spring3 KTE for far less than half of the price of the May KTE and that's all I can afford right now after getting Susvara, Ferrum stack, TC and JPS SC cable this year.
From what I read the Spring 3 KTE is quite decent and a bigger jump from Spring 2 than Spring 3 to May.
But of course I d like to get May one day 😉
I’ve had the May KTE, I currently have the 3 KTE. For headphones which is where I use it the difference is not noticeable to my hearing. In a 2-channel system there is a difference I can hear but not with headphones that is quantifiable to me.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #599 of 3,852
My seller wants to keep Spring 3 KTE for himself, so I need to look for a good deal elsewhere now 🙄

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #600 of 3,852
My seller wants to keep Spring 3 KTE for himself, so I need to look for a good deal elsewhere now 🙄
That is a bummer and I'm sorry your plans are delayed, but I can appreciate the seller wanting to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back