Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #421 of 3,852
How does the bass slam/tactility differ on the oor with the susvara compared to other amps? How does it compare to the LCD-5?
A part of that question is answered in the before mentioned extensive Susvara review with 13 amps being compared including tables for different attributes like tonality, stage, etc.
In that review Oor is one of the top dogs of head amps with dynamics of 9 out of 10 in that ranking specs
You get more only out of speaker amps and there only of selected models
Here the ratings for the Ferrum stack (10 is max)
Resolution/Details: 8
Transient Response: 9
Dynamics: 9
Tonality: 8.5
Power/Control: 9
Stage size: 8
Overall score: 8.58

As mentioned before in this thread, Oor is not raising a bass shelf, it's neutral with a hint of warmth and maybe a slight treble roll of at the very top to avoid listening fatigue.

Regarding slam: Susvara can slam hard with the right tracks also on OOR like Infected Mushrooms etc.
Instead of tweaking the signature through amping there's a very interesting way described in the Susvara thread using custom ear pads like from ZMF Eikon.
Several people tested that yet with success saying you can make Susvara more LCD-5 like through that but with still better technicalities.
I will test that myself too.
Earpad and mounting rings are on the way...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #422 of 3,852
I leave the amp on for 24hrs to warm up, I am not sure if its placebo or not. But it sounded very slightly warmer and more pleasant compared to not warming up.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #423 of 3,852
I’m curious about how the Oor/Hypsos paired with the 1266 would compare with the Xiaudio formula S/Powerman which I didn’t buy as it was far too expensive for me.

Xi audio is not an balanced amp, if you have true balanced dac, better use an amp with balanced circuit. There are some comments on the Xi in the thread multiple pages ago.

Dec 2, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #425 of 3,852
I leave the amp on for 24hrs to warm up, I am not sure if its placebo or not. But it sounded very slightly warmer and more pleasant compared to not warming up.
Not placebo, all amps will sound much better if left on rather than continuously cycling on and off.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #426 of 3,852
Aside from Vana Ltd, are there US retailers who sell the OOR/Hypsos combo?
Seems like there's a TN shop who's in the top of the google search and headphones.com. FYI.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #427 of 3,852
Yes, the gain switch works fine on the OOR. Switches failing, both the gain switch and RCA/XLR source switch, is a known issue on the first batch.

I have not played with the voltage on the Hypsos, as I don't know by how much this can be adjusted safely, and I am not sure about the benefits.
Matt, is the affected serial number range known?

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #428 of 3,852
Matt, is the affected serial number range known?
No, I don't think so. You can ask HEM about the serial numbers. They found out about it quite quickly, so I think the number of devices with this issue is low.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #431 of 3,852
Also I’ve only just discovered that the cable connecting the two units must be purchased separately.
It can be bought separately, yes. But if you order the OOR + Hypsos stack, the cable is included. At least, it was with mine, and would not make sense if it were not.

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #433 of 3,852
My dealer charged me $130USD for the cable but I believe as you said Mat that yes it is included in the $3190 USD price from Ferrum.
My dealer charged me extra too though I got the bundle

Dec 3, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #434 of 3,852
My dealer charged me extra too though I got the bundle
Mmm. I ordered direct from HEM.

EDIT: I understand now that your total price was comparable to mine, actually a little lower. The HEM price includes the cable, dealer prices apparently not but are lower to reflect that.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #435 of 3,852
That is a 5 ⭐️ review if I’ve ever read one and I don’t mean he is giving 5 ⭐️‘s, I’m giving him 5 ⭐️‘s for his thoroughness and sharing of knowledge. Wow. That’s should stand as an example of how to do a review for all.

Sandu really is one of the best... I like his yt reviews but for me I really to prefer his written reviews when I'm interested in the product. Yes I don't read them all but the ones I do like I read the full review and appreciate the thoroughness.

Some people may prefer reviewers with more emphasis on measurements and objectiveness but I actually find his opinion and subjective-ness to be far more valuable. Especially when he mentions frequency response of Sus not changing between amps but actual SQ having major changes. I find that to be incredibly true based upon my own experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back