Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #361 of 3,851
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #362 of 3,851
I got both A90 and OOR Hypsos Stack, The OOR just beat the A90 in every aspect. Width and depth of the stage, bass detail, clarity, separation. OOR wins basically in every aspect, except the lack of the 4.4 mm jack on the OOR.
Same here: I have replaced my Topping A90 last week with Ferrum OOR and HYPSOS stack, driving my Dan Clark Audio Stealth, and also for me the Ferrum stack clearly excels in the aspects Gavin mentions. Good to know that both units measure well, but for me this is another indication that a unit's assumed superiority due to even better measurements doesn't necessarily fully translate into actual real life experience, at least in my case.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #363 of 3,851
Did anyone test out the Oor with a tube pre-amp or tube-buffer?

I've had the Oor/Hypsos for almost a week now. Using them with the HE1000 V2. I absolutely love the pristine clean sound and control the Oor has, and yet I feel a good chunk of my playlists has lost the magic/soul tubes brought with them in my previous setup (an Xduoo TA-20 with Philips, Amperex or Mullard tubes).

Do I have a way to keep the best of both worlds, or will I mess up what I like the most about the Oor?

Nov 22, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #364 of 3,851
Did anyone test out the Oor with a tube pre-amp or tube-buffer?

I've had the Oor/Hypsos for almost a week now. Using them with the HE1000 V2. I absolutely love the pristine clean sound and control the Oor has, and yet I feel a good chunk of my playlists has lost the magic/soul tubes brought with them in my previous setup (an Xduoo TA-20 with Philips, Amperex or Mullard tubes).

Do I have a way to keep the best of both worlds, or will I mess up what I like the most about the Oor?
I ran it with the WA22 as a pre and it was excellent, but I also think the Oor and Susvara are a match made in heaven as is. For a bit more context I sold my WA22 a few months ago and regretted so I ordered another one, I definitely love the tube sound.

What is your entire chain With the Oor right now and which headphones are you driving?

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #365 of 3,851
The whole chain is the HE1000 V2, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos fed from a Denafrips Pontus II hooked up to a Raspberry Pi/HAT via I2s. Started out with a Musician Pegasus DAC, but the Pontus was a good step up. Also tried it with an older Audio Note DAC 3.1x (usually resides in the living room) which is a bit less forward and perhaps a slightly better match.

I think many people would find the current setup to be perfect (and on certain tracks I do too), but having gotten accustomed to the slightly more meaty and ethereal sound of tubes I would love if I could combine that with the Oor.

With the WA22 as preamp, do you feel you got the strength of both?

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #366 of 3,851
The whole chain is the HE1000 V2, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos fed from a Denafrips Pontus II hooked up to a Raspberry Pi/HAT via I2s. Started out with a Musician Pegasus DAC, but the Pontus was a good step up. Also tried it with an older Audio Note DAC 3.1x (usually resides in the living room) which is a bit less forward and perhaps a slightly better match.

I think many people would find the current setup to be perfect (and on certain tracks I do too), but having gotten accustomed to the slightly more meaty and ethereal sound of tubes I would love if I could combine that with the Oor.

With the WA22 as preamp, do you feel you got the strength of both?
The WA22 gives that wide soundstage that I’m after coupled with the exactness of the AHB2 and to a lesser degree the Oor stack. I find the Oor to be a touch warm sounding with my Holo Audio Spring 3 (similar to your Denafrips both being well implemented R2R) and not needing tubes for warmth but for expanding the soundstage. On the AHB2 the tubes are needed for warmth and body to my ears.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #368 of 3,851
Thank you for your impressions @OneEyedHito, very helpful! I'm guessing my taste might tilt a little further towards the warm side than yours - so perhaps that would indeed be a good combination for me. Despite the WA22 adding more warmth than needed, you didn't feel that obscured the Oors strenght?
You are very welcome. To clarify I don't think the WA22/Oor is too warm, but that the Oor is just a bit warmer than neutral. The added soundstage for my hearing benefits from the added warmth of the WA22/Oor.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #370 of 3,851
I've heard about good synergy with Empy to make these yet thick sounding cans more clear and fresh out of a review.
@HiFiHawaii808 reported excellent impressions with Utopia improving soundstage to a new level.
There are also Elite owners here and can post their view too

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #371 of 3,851
I've just ordered the OOR/ Hypnos combo and, as it happens, I'm in the market for some new headphones as well :relaxed:. Budget is around £3/4K GBP, 2nd hand or New. I'm not in the market for Susvara's or Abyss but thinking Focal Utopia, maybe Empyrean Elite. What's the consensus here?
Congrats! I would have a serious look at the LCD 5. I have not heard it myself yet, but based on what I've read and heard from headfi buddies, it's an a awesome headphone, up there with the very best. (Esp if you don't mind EQ)

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #372 of 3,851
I’ve listened to Susvara, LCD5, Utopia, Empyrean, Elite, Liric, and a few others on the Oor/Hyposis stack. All sound great to my ears. The Oor doesn’t have anything in the sound that causes any synergy issues to me. All of those are great fit with it but they are all different than one another at this level of listening. The Susvara is my favorite with the Ferrum stack but that could be to it driving them properly and their overall superiority.

The LCD5 is my choice for a better overall “the one” AMP INDEPENDENT headphone but if you have the Oor then the Susvara is really the best to get for my tastes and ears.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #373 of 3,851
I’ve listened to Susvara, LCD5, Utopia, Empyrean, Elite, Liric, and a few others on the Oor/Hyposis stack. All sound great to my ears. The Oor doesn’t have anything in the sound that causes any synergy issues to me. All of those are great fit with it but they are all different than one another at this level of listening. The Susvara is my favorite with the Ferrum stack but that could be to it driving them properly and their overall superiority.

The LCD5 is my choice for a better overall “the one” AMP INDEPENDENT headphone but if you have the Oor then the Susvara is really the best to get for my tastes and ears.
I second this, The LCD-5 is one of the best amp independent headphones out there. That being said, if you don't plan on using EQ, the susvara is the best headphone out there if you drive it properly, and don't mind having a bit softer of a low end compared to the Focal or Audeze headphones. If you do use EQ, the the LCD-5 would be my top recommendation.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #374 of 3,851
Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I did have the LCD-5 on my “possible” list so I will seek out a pair to listen to. I know I should try the Susvara but finding a dealer near me with a pair in stock has proven difficult. I’ll give it another go as, if I’m going to spend some serious money I should give as many options a try before committing.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #375 of 3,851
Until I decide which "totl" headphone to get any recommendations for a cheap and cheerful 'phone with good synergy with the OOR/Hypnos? One review I read mentioned Beyerdynamic DT1990 but I have no experience that of brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back