Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Mar 12, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3,271 of 3,852
Mass Kobo 433

Any particular reason why you're looking at the 433? The Mass Kobo stuff that I have heard, which admittedly doesn't include the 433, has always been a bit underwhelming for me and seemed overpriced for what I'm hearing. That said, I have a friend who really digs his 428 so I'm sure that's totally down to preferences which is why I was wondering what drew you to MK. Aside from the aesthetics you mentioned.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #3,272 of 3,852
i am looking at the Oor manual and it says:

The bypass function disables the built-in potentiometer in OOR. As a result, the signal given at the input of OOR will be transmitted to the headphones or RCA or XLR outputs with all its power. ... Please use the Bypass function with caution! A sudden jump in headphone volume may damage your hearing and the headphones or speakers!​

the Oor will output full volume but the volume will be attenuated by the passive pre-amp by setting the pre-amp volume to 0 and then moving up accordingly and so any headphones attached to the Oor will not be damaged; that is, they will not receive the full, max volume of the Oor.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #3,273 of 3,852
Any particular reason why you're looking at the 433? The Mass Kobo stuff that I have heard, which admittedly doesn't include the 433, has always been a bit underwhelming for me and seemed overpriced for what I'm hearing. That said, I have a friend who really digs his 428 so I'm sure that's totally down to preferences which is why I was wondering what drew you to MK. Aside from the aesthetics you mentioned.
Haven’t heard the chance to listen to it but heard great things from users. Including Meze Elite owners. The 394 mkii is supposed to be excellent. Other option I was looking at is the luxman P750u.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #3,274 of 3,852
Looks do count. I particularly love the Ferrum’s look. Have you seen one in person. Worth a look.
The iron square on the left hand side bothers me a bit.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #3,275 of 3,852
Cannot comment much on aesthetics as it’s clearly a matter of taste and matching to your environment and other gear around.
What I can tell you is that the Ferrum Holo Audio combo is one of the best of some people on headfi for Elite.
Giving musicality without sacrificing detail and impact once called for, natural and smooth, very good stage in width and depth
Yeah that’s why it’s still on my list. Wonder why stereophile doesn’t include it amongst recommended components.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #3,276 of 3,852
Thanks brother. It appears Power Amp mode on the Ferrum is essentially medium gain at full power. I'm batting around the idea of picking up a GoldPoint passive pre and giving it a shot.
I like my Goldpoint SA1X. GoldenSound has a short review in his Active vs passive preamplifiers? - Holo Serene Preamp Review (and GoldPoint) review.

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #3,278 of 3,852
I went with a custom setup of Dual Mono (remote allows you to control the volumes as one or you can control volume channels separately. Takman REY resistors as well.I also have the Tube Stage on order which provides 9db of gain and a little bit of Tube flavor. This goes after the preamp and can be used Active (On) or Passive (passthrough)

Arek who is the founder of Hattor and Khozmo is a real pleasure to deal with. IF it can be done he will do it for you. All you need to do is give him your chain specs for impedance considerations and he figures out the rest.

Hi
Your passive preamp is a bit seductive for me :wink:
Can you please post a picture with Oor/Hypsos side-by-side so I can get a better idea about the size.
Am having very limited space on my desk, therefore I need to see the size in relation
Thx!

Btw, does your passive pre have AC?
That‘s only for the remote, right?
Edit: I think I am getting it, you have some fancy otional tube stage inside which can be operated acitvely or passive, right?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #3,279 of 3,852
Hi
Your passive preamp is a bit seductive for me :wink:
Can you please post a picture with Oor/Hypsos side-by-side so I can get a better idea about the size.
Am having very limited space on my desk, therefore I need to see the size in relation
Thx!

Btw, does your passive pre have AC?
That‘s only for the remote, right?
Edit: I think I am getting it, you have some fancy otional tube stage inside which can be operated acitvely or passive, right?
No tube stage yet. That is on order. Should be here soon and will sit atop the preamp. The linear power supply (to the right) is just for the display and remote of the preamp. No power input in the audio path. The size of the preamp is about the exact same size as the Ferrum OOR just a bit thicker and maybe 1.5 inches wider on both sides compared to the Ferrum. The preamp puts off no heat so it can sit on the bottom of your stack and matches the Ferrum perfectly for color. Khozmo / Hattor do offer small sized preamps too.
IMG_6770.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #3,280 of 3,852
Anyone using the stack with a Yggdrasil (OG A2, specifically)? If so what are your thoughts? Currently I'm using the following with the noted Yggdrasil:
- THX AAA 789 with Empyreans
- Feliks Euforia AE with Utopias

I find the Utopias on the 789 too sharp and the Empyreans on the Feliks too muddy. But, with the pairings above it's quite nice.

Upgraditis has me considering alternatives to the 789. The Ferrum stack, GSX-Mini, and either a DSHA-3F (very hard to find) or the new Nitsch DSHA version (not yet out...maybe as equally as hard to find) have been in the thought process. Probably looking for something between the 789 and tubes....with more emphasis on detail vs warmth.

I myself was surprised at the performance from my Empyreans via a (cheap) THX AAA 'ONE'...especially (nay, necessary!) with an LPS replacing the cheap stock PS! Better even than direct out from TT2/mscaler. But the Ferrum stack is in a totally different league IMHO - and my Empys simply love being fed by it. Plus, they shine even more in bypass (power amp) mode, with TT2's 'AMP' out performing volume control function - perfectly, losslessly and , thankfully, without having to spend a load more $$$£££ on another preamp plus more (really) good cables, of course!

I hear you re. the Mezes and Euforia...especially if not using a top class hp cable replacement - they really do need mono crystal OCC silver (plus copper if poss.) to give of their best! :wink: And if able to stretch to such cabling throughout the system, and fed by a top class music source (such as hi-end CD transport), Hypsos/OOR can push the Empys snapping at the heels of the much more expensive Elite (have personally compared)..especially in bypass mode and balanced out.
Hi All,
Anyone has experience paring Ferrum OOR/Hypsos combo with Meze Elite for rock blues jazz?
Many thanks!
Although only into light rock - ELO/Genesis/Supertramp/Mike Oldfield etc., and acoustic-based on the whole music, my Empys at least deliver a performance via the Ferrums I've seldom heard improved upon to any great degree...given my particular system, as mentioned above. Dynamic music is handled as effortlessly as much more subtle fare, all the while maintaining supreme precision throughout an extended tonal range (including harmonics) - highlighted especially in a way only really well recorded (and played!) acoustic instruments can convey :).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #3,281 of 3,852
I myself was surprised at the performance from my Empyreans via a (cheap) THX AAA 'ONE'...especially with an LPS replacing the cheap stock PS! Better even than direct out from TT2/mscaler. But the Ferrum stack is in a totally different league IMHO - and my Empys simply love being fed by it. Plus, they shine even more in bypass (power amp) mode, with TT2's 'AMP' out performing volume control function - perfectly, losslessly and , thankfully, without having to spend a load more $$$£££ on another preamp plus more (really) good cables, of course!

I hear you re. the Mezes and Euforia...especially if not using a top class hp cable replacement - they really do need mono crystal OCC silver (plus copper if poss.) to give of their best! :wink: And if able to stretch to such cabling throughout the system, and fed by a top class music source (such as hi-end CD transport), Hypsos/OOR can push the Empys snapping at the heels of the much more expensive Elite (have personally compared)..especially in bypass mode and balanced out.

Although only into light rock - ELO/Genesis/Supertramp/Mike Oldfield etc., and acoustic-based on the whole music, my Empys at least deliver a performance via the Ferrums I've seldom heard improved upon to any great degree...given my particular system, as mentioned above. Dynamic music is handled as effortlessly as much more subtle fare, all the while maintaining supreme precision throughout an extended tonal range (including harmonics) - highlighted especially in a way only really well recorded (and played!) acoustic instruments can convey :).

Thanks, appreciate the insight! I'm with you on the cables - I purchased a used Lazuli Nirvana for the Utopia and noticed a big enough change to immediately purchase one for the Meze as well as RCA's going from the Yggy to the Euforia. I also have a LPS on the THX 789....made a difference.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #3,282 of 3,852
Anyone using the stack with a Yggdrasil (OG A2, specifically)? If so what are your thoughts? Currently I'm using the following with the noted Yggdrasil:

I find the Utopias on the 789 too sharp and the Empyreans on the Feliks too muddy. But, with the pairings above it's quite nice.

Upgraditis has me considering alternatives to the 789. The Ferrum stack, GSX-Mini, and either a DSHA-3F (very hard to find) or the new Nitsch DSHA version (not yet out...maybe as equally as hard to find) have been in the thought process. Probably looking for something between the 789 and tubes....with more emphasis on detail vs warmth.

I use my stack primarily with the Holo Audio May KTE, but I have also used it with my OG Yggy. Aside from confirming that the Ferrum stack is definitely more musical with a touch of euphonic warmth to it's sound, that it pairs VERY nicely with the Yggy, and that it's flexibility, power, and refinement put it on a completely different level from the 789 as far as performance goes, what else would you like to know? Ask away and I'll do my best to answer impartially. I will note in advance that I have never been a fan of the THX amps as the three I have tried (789, 887, SP200) all sound overly bright and clinical for my tastes.

Edit: I also happen to own the GS-X Mini which I also occasionally use with the Yggy as well. The Ferrum Stack and the Mini are my two favorite headphone amps ATM.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,283 of 3,852

The Ferrum strongly reminds me of the 789 when I am listening to it, of course it sound better in every way.
If you want a slightly warmer tone I'd say the GSX-mini/DSHA is a better option, I found them to have a more organic sound.
For even warmer sound, Luxman p750u and Pass HPA-1, they are almost tube-like.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,284 of 3,852
I use my stack primarily with the Holo Audio May KTE, but I have also used it with my OG Yggy. Aside from confirming that the Ferrum stack is definitely more musical with a touch of euphonic warmth to it's sound, that it pairs VERY nicely with the Yggy, and that it's flexibility, power, and refinement put it on a completely different level from the 789 as far as performance goes, what else would you like to know? Ask away and I'll do my best to answer impartially. I will note in advance that I have never been a fan of the THX amps as the three I have tried (789, 887, SP200) all sound overly bright and clinical for my tastes.

Edit: I also happen to own the GS-X Mini which I also occasionally use with the Yggy as well. The Ferrum Stack and the Mini are my two favorite headphone amps ATM.

The first question would be, in your opinion, what's the biggest difference between the Mini and Ferrum stack?

EDIT: [Sorry, started the post and then came back to it, and see you replied in the meantime.]

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #3,285 of 3,852
The first question would be, in your opinion, what's the biggest difference between the Mini and Ferrum stack?

EDIT: [Sorry, started the post and then came back to it, and see you replied in the meantime.]

The biggest difference is presentation and flexibility, specifically with harder to drive planars and headphones that are a bit picky about amplification. The Mini is my favorite super clean amp. Not bright or sterile, but clean and incredibly detailed. It doesn't color the signal at all so what you put in is exactly what you get out. The Ferrum stack is my go to amo setup when I want a touch of warmth/euphonics like you get with tubes, but with the precise, detailed accuracy of solud state. When I say flexibility, the variable voltage settings, power amp mode, preamp functionality, etc make the Ferrum rig as versatile as it gets. I have some hard to drive planars (Expanse and Stealth) that like a higher voltage setting to open up their soundstage and get them pumping, but I have some dynamics (HD800S and K812) that prefer a lower voltage setting to take the edge off their presentations and find their sweet spot while still driving them with authority. I haven't encountered another amp that gives me the same ability to tailor the amp to the headphones and/or the music. The settings aren't at all a gimmick, they work and are useful. If you get the Ferrum stack you'll find that each headphone has a different sweet spot with those settings and that finding that sweet spot lets you get the best from them, almost giving you a different amp for each one rather than an amp matched to one headphone that's kind of a compromise for many others. I hope that makes some sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back