Ferrum Audio ERCO - Headphone DAC/Amp
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #61 of 122
I am the happy owner of the Hypsos and Erco.
Driving a Focal Clear (and traded my Focal Arche. Hard decision, so elegant).

The Erco runs hot = and the volume knob feels warm to the touch. Do not know if this is normal.

I DID have USB issues, as initially, I connected it to an RP4 running RoPieee.
The connection did not click - dropouts and stuttering until a dreaded red LED lit up.
I tried changing cables and brought my RP3 from the bedroom, no good.
It did keep a steady USB lock with my Mac. But this is odd: I had a similar issue with the Arche, and Focal never fixed this.
I hope Ferrum will provide a firmware build to cover the USB over Linux issue.

Can you tell me what kind of problem you have with Erco? I am having sudden sound cut issue on Windows. But only if I open a web browser surf for a while and close the page.. If I don't open web browser it works without any issue..

Nov 26, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #62 of 122
I just got Erco (used one but still needs burn in). I have some USB issues, too. I informed Ferrum I hope they can fix it. I think it's about USB driver,

One thing I noticed is that while listening Erco, if you try to surf on the net especially with MS Edge browser, when you close the browser the sound mutes on Tidal, Youtube or even few times happened on Foobar. It's not pausing or stopping, music app seems to continue play (Tidal and Foobar I am using) but no sound out of Erco.

You need to click next / previous track to get sound again.

But if you don't do anything on computer there isn't any issues you can listen without any issue for hours..

Another thing is that sometimes when above issue happens and when you play next or previous track (or if you restart same track) to get back sound, sound is being distorted. You are getting some "zzzzz" sound or a sound like that your headphone cable has some issues..

I tried different USB C cable but same thing happened so it's not about USB cable I think.

Also I tried with another computer it happened again so it's not also about corrupted driver installation or Windows. It's about Erco and I hope it's a software level issue, and Ferrum team can solve it with a FW upgrade or a driver update.

I also tried with USB Audio Player Pro and I am having similar issues..

And what about the sound quality? I am very satisfied with the sound quality. It's just what I was looking for. Very detailed, a wide and deep stage, excellent seperation, no harshness but very resolving highs, very sweet and musical timbre..

Especially details are not metallic or thin, you are hearing the tone and timbre of any instrument even from the deepest parts of music..

Also very fast.. It put my headphone to next level.. I love it so far..

An update.. I contacted to Erco and they tried to help a lot but they couldn't understand the problem and told me if I want I could contact with seller and send back and later they can get the device and check the problem but I did not want to send it back,

That is my solution, I can surf online while listening without any issues for hours till I close the browser. If I need to close the internet browser during a listening session just I am pausing music and then close web page and then replay music. That solves that conflict between browser and music playing via Erco,

So far I am so much happy with the device sound is awesome and opening up more while burning in now...

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #64 of 122
Another update.. I connected Erco through a USB hub instead of directly connecting computer's USB port and problem solved.. Now after closing web browser nothing is happening :)
I just received my ERCO and seem to be having similar issues. Using an external USB hub has made things more manageable. Whenever I close a web browser, my music still pauses but there is no static.

Without the USB hub, I will get episodes of static and slowed audio though.

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #65 of 122
I just received my ERCO and seem to be having similar issues. Using an external USB hub has made things more manageable. Whenever I close a web browser, my music still pauses but there is no static.

Without the USB hub, I will get episodes of static and slowed audio though.

I see so please contact Ferrum support and let them to know issue, because they told me if they will get similar issues from other users may be they can consider a FW upgrade. I think it's a software (firmware) level issue.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #67 of 122
I see so please contact Ferrum support and let them to know issue, because they told me if they will get similar issues from other users may be they can consider a FW upgrade. I think it's a software (firmware) level issue.
I'm currently waiting on a response after trying their troubleshooting suggestions. I also found out that opening the Ferrum Audio USB Control Panel and selecting the "Info" tab will recreate the issue as well.

@thingwfeathers By the way is your music still pausing while using USB hub?
It's more of a skip. The audio player does not pause but there is a brief skip with audible distortion with the hub.

I am using TP Link UH 720 as USB hub and I don't have any pause or any kind of sound distortion with it. Just a side note.
I am actually using that exact same USB hub.

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #74 of 122
Running the USB input through my iGalvanic3.0 seems to fix the problem entirely. I don't think the ERCO USB input is galvanically isolated, and I think the sound is a touch cleaner. Could be placebo but perceived improvement is improvement lol.

I think the thing is putting something between USB port of computer and Erco. In my case putting UH 720 solved the problem. But it did not work for you. By the way, are you using UH 720 with it's power adapter or without it?

I am using without it's AC power adapter.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #75 of 122
I think the thing is putting something between USB port of computer and Erco. In my case putting UH 720 solved the problem. But it did not work for you. By the way, are you using UH 720 with it's power adapter or without it?

I am using without it's AC power adapter.
When I used the UH 720, it was with the power adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back