Ferrum Audio ERCO - Headphone DAC/Amp
May 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #47 of 120
So, after a couple if weeks, I decided to go with the Oor/Hypsos and my Erco is for sale on classifieds now..
Did the brightness to which you referred earlier ever subside?

May 26, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #50 of 120
Hows the sound comparing Oor/Hypsos to Erco/Hypsos for Elite and ZMF VC?
The Oor//Hypsos is very neutral and it depends, which DAC you use. I tried the Erco and the Musician Pegasus and both sounded different. The Oor/Hypsos is very powerful and has a big soundstage with nice layering and depth. Not harsh at all. I'm caught into the R2R sound and I want some flexibility in the system.
The Erco itself used with the Hypsos is also very impressive. Wonderful mids, nice bass and very controlled and smooth treble. Not bright at all (I expected something different from rmy experiences with Sabres and my former 220max). Soundstage and layering are not as big as with the Oor, but it's still impressive.
The Elite scales with the Erco and also with the Oor, so both match very well.
To me, I doesn't make sense to keep Erco and Oor and I want to go for a Holo Spring3. But if someone is looking for a DAC / amp solution, the Erco is highly recommended and you need to do a direct A/B comparison to hear the differences.
Hope this helps.

May 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #51 of 120
The Oor//Hypsos is very neutral and it depends, which DAC you use. I tried the Erco and the Musician Pegasus and both sounded different. The Oor/Hypsos is very powerful and has a big soundstage with nice layering and depth. Not harsh at all. I'm caught into the R2R sound and I want some flexibility in the system.
The Erco itself used with the Hypsos is also very impressive. Wonderful mids, nice bass and very controlled and smooth treble. Not bright at all (I expected something different from rmy experiences with Sabres and my former 220max). Soundstage and layering are not as big as with the Oor, but it's still impressive.
The Elite scales with the Erco and also with the Oor, so both match very well.
To me, I doesn't make sense to keep Erco and Oor and I want to go for a Holo Spring3. But if someone is looking for a DAC / amp solution, the Erco is highly recommended and you need to do a direct A/B comparison to hear the differences.
Hope this helps.
Thanks! That definitely helps! Did you try it with ZMF VC?

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #55 of 120
I am looking for DacAmp combo as an alternative to HugoTT2 (for me too pricy)
I will be using it to drive ZMF Atrium, and Hifiman Arya Stealth.
The quality i am looking mainly will be natural timbre, soundstage and imaging

How is standalone Erco (without hypsos) compared to TT2?

EDIT: Why without Hypsos? From my experience with OOR + Hypsos stack, for my headphones above, the performance Hypsos bring to the chain is not significant enough (Hypsos really shine if you pair to hard to drive stuff like Susvara). I hope it behaves similarly with the Erco too.

EDIT2: Nevermind. I read the headfonics review. Seems like not the flavor I am looking for (better bass dynamics slightly drier midrange timbre, slightly edgier high)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #57 of 120
Ferrum Erco is still the best dac amp combo I've heard paired with the Meze Elite. It just drives the Elite so effortlessly :L3000:

I also recently tried the Naim Uniti Atom HE, which some have praised highly...geez the user experience is so good!

Sound wise, this all-in-one unit is superb, but the Erco is more detailed with a bigger soundstage yet has that same fantastic bass texture and PRaT of the Atom HE.

So the Ferrum Erco will remain my favorite until a new competitor appears. :relieved:

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #58 of 120
Ok. Guys. Thanks. Now ordered the Erco and Hypsos inkl. Powerlink connection.
Does the USBC connection works without any issues? Just read in a review, that there were some issues ...
Because that's the main connection I'll use..

I just got Erco (used one but still needs burn in). I have some USB issues, too. I informed Ferrum I hope they can fix it. I think it's about USB driver,

One thing I noticed is that while listening Erco, if you try to surf on the net especially with MS Edge browser, when you close the browser the sound mutes on Tidal, Youtube or even few times happened on Foobar. It's not pausing or stopping, music app seems to continue play (Tidal and Foobar I am using) but no sound out of Erco.

You need to click next / previous track to get sound again.

But if you don't do anything on computer there isn't any issues you can listen without any issue for hours..

Another thing is that sometimes when above issue happens and when you play next or previous track (or if you restart same track) to get back sound, sound is being distorted. You are getting some "zzzzz" sound or a sound like that your headphone cable has some issues..

I tried different USB C cable but same thing happened so it's not about USB cable I think.

Also I tried with another computer it happened again so it's not also about corrupted driver installation or Windows. It's about Erco and I hope it's a software level issue, and Ferrum team can solve it with a FW upgrade or a driver update.

I also tried with USB Audio Player Pro and I am having similar issues..

And what about the sound quality? I am very satisfied with the sound quality. It's just what I was looking for. Very detailed, a wide and deep stage, excellent seperation, no harshness but very resolving highs, very sweet and musical timbre..

Especially details are not metallic or thin, you are hearing the tone and timbre of any instrument even from the deepest parts of music..

Also very fast.. It put my headphone to next level.. I love it so far..

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #59 of 120
I just got Erco (used one but still needs burn in). I have some USB issues, too. I informed Ferrum I hope they can fix it. I think it's about USB driver,

One thing I noticed is that while listening Erco, if you try to surf on the net especially with MS Edge browser, when you close the browser the sound mutes on Tidal, Youtube or even few times happened on Foobar. It's not pausing or stopping, music app seems to continue play (Tidal and Foobar I am using) but no sound out of Erco.

You need to click next / previous track to get sound again.

But if you don't do anything on computer there isn't any issues you can listen without any issue for hours..

Another thing is that sometimes when above issue happens and when you play next or previous track (or if you restart same track) to get back sound, sound is being distorted. You are getting some "zzzzz" sound or a sound like that your headphone cable has some issues..

I tried different USB C cable but same thing happened so it's not about USB cable I think.

Also I tried with another computer it happened again so it's not also about corrupted driver installation or Windows. It's about Erco and I hope it's a software level issue, and Ferrum team can solve it with a FW upgrade or a driver update.

I also tried with USB Audio Player Pro and I am having similar issues..

And what about the sound quality? I am very satisfied with the sound quality. It's just what I was looking for. Very detailed, a wide and deep stage, excellent seperation, no harshness but very resolving highs, very sweet and musical timbre..

Especially details are not metallic or thin, you are hearing the tone and timbre of any instrument even from the deepest parts of music..

Also very fast.. It put my headphone to next level.. I love it so far..

I don't have any problem with what you mentioned on both my desktop PC and laptop (win 10, win 11).

Your best bet is to open a support ticket and wait for their technical team to help you.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #60 of 120
Ok. Guys. Thanks. Now ordered the Erco and Hypsos inkl. Powerlink connection.
Does the USBC connection works without any issues? Just read in a review, that there were some issues ...
Because that's the main connection I'll use..

Can you share what review is talking about USBC issues, I want to check if they are similar to my issues.. Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back