Feliks Audio tube amps
Aug 7, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #661 of 1,113
Again depends on who you ask. Go to the Schiit Yggdrasil and Ragnarok thread and they will disagree with you. This is just your opinion. It's not universal.

Similarly many of us here agree that Elise is leaner than Euforia but your opinion is the opposite. So you can see, opinions differ greatly here.
What makes your opinion more valid than mine?

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #663 of 1,113
I am simply stating we disagree. I am not even going to argue on subjective opinions with anyone. They are entitled to their opinions.
Well your the first to jump up by saying opions vary, twice now. We all know YMMV so why is there the need to keep defending yourself whenever someone has a different opinion to yourself?

It just comes across as a bit insecure, like you're trying to convince yourself by highlighting the fact you don't agree.

Also maybe keep Schiit impressions to the Schiit thread?

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #664 of 1,113
Not just my opinion alone. Mordy clearly stated that his opinion is clearly the opposite of yours too. I think you are the one getting defensive here.

You jump in and stated that it's a universal truth. That's hardly YMMV.

This thread as far as I'm concerned benefits comparisons of Elise / Euforia with other amps. I've at one time too spoke highly of La Figaro 339 here in comparison with FA amps. Likewise Woo Audio Wa22.

If you think this thread should be solely closeted with Elise and Euforia, then it becomes nothing but a fan club.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #665 of 1,113
Not just my opinion alone. Mordy clearly stated that his opinion is clearly the opposite of yours too. I think you are the one getting defensive here.

You jump in and stated that it's a universal truth. That's hardly YMMV.

This thread as far as I'm concerned benefits comparisons of Elise / Euforia with other amps. I've at one time too spoke highly of La Figaro 339 here in comparison with FA amps. Like Woo Audio Wa22.

If you think this thread should be solely closeted with Elise and Euforia, then it becomes nothing but a fan club.
Do you see what I mean? You've done it again. You're getting very sensitive about this and I don't know why, it's just gear.

Also you didn't compare the Rag you just went off about how it's your end game...that really should be kept to the Schiit thread to keep the S/N down. It's keeps the threads tidy, the S/N is already very high and adding to the problem doesn't help.

I get that judging by your gear and headphones you prefer a leaner more upper mid recessed sound(HD800) so your opinion is going to be different to someone like me who prefers a more fuller mid range, lush sound.

Don't take everything so personal.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #666 of 1,113
I read that story with a smile Mordy. Thank you. Very interesting story indeed about that irate customer at Schiit. Jason is right. Not every customer is worth having.

So to continue with my reporting on the trial of using Euforia as preamp.... this is nothing new. Many have use Elise and Euforia as preamps and they worked exceedingly well. I even get a 'like' from Oshipao. :) Thanks Osh. Hope your sale of Elise goes smoothly and keep me in the loop of what you will be eventually getting. :) Going deeper into vinyl? :)

Anyhoo, here's another picture of Euforia in action as a preamp, feeding Ragnarok. Very interesting tone indeed. You have the best of both worlds. Morale of the story. Never be afraid to experiment.

20170807_192328.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #667 of 1,113
I read that story with a smile Mordy. Thank you. Very interesting story indeed about that irate customer at Schiit. Jason is right. Not every customer is worth having.

So to continue with my reporting on the trial of using Euforia as preamp.... this is nothing new. Many have use Elise and Euforia as preamps and they worked exceedingly well. I even get a 'like' from Oshipao. :) Thanks Osh. Hope your sale of Elise goes smoothly and keep me in the loop of what you will be eventually getting. :) Going deeper into vinyl? :)

Anyhow, here's another picture of Euforia in action as a preamp, feeding Ragnarok. Very interesting tone indeed. You have the best of both worlds. Morale of the story. Never be afraid to experiment.

For the benefit and amusement of others, here is the story from the Shayit thread - much can be learned from it. The topic was: Which one is their worst customer?:
But first their customer service motto:
We bend over backwards for our customers.
But we won’t be bent forwards.

"The worst customer ever wasn’t just bad. He was criminally bad.

Here’s what happened.

After work on Friday evening, I decided to check the customer service email. Until December 2013, I was the primary guy who answered customer service email, so this in itself wasn’t an unusual event.

What I found was disturbing, though—an email from a very, very irate customer who had ordered a B-stock Mjolnir. Back in those days, we sold B-stock manually, by individual inquiry. If someone wanted B-stock, they had to email us, we told them the price, and if they were interested, we sent them a PayPal invoice.

Aside: today, all B-stock is sold through Amazon.

Apparently I’d sent them an invoice, and they’d paid for it. However, we didn’t ship the Mjolnir the same day, as requested. This also isn’t unusual, since we quote a 1-3 business day shipping time on in-stock items that aren’t ordered with expedited shipping.

But that didn’t matter to this guy. He was livid. I mean, full-boat, cartoon-steam-whistle-out-the-
ears, screaming red-faced rage. In acidic sentences strung in all-caps, he told us what a terrible company we were for not shipping it right away, expressed his extreme displeasure with our customer service, questioned our competence in an overall manner, and made various other personal assertions relating to our lack of professionalism and discipline.

And, to top it all off, he told me that Alex was the worst person in the universe, he didn’t care about him as a customer, and had never returned the emails he’d sent earlier in the day.

In a perfect, algorithmic, Mr. Spock-driven world, I would have tweaked an eyebrow and said, “Curious,” then investigated this incident in a dispassionate manner.

Humans don’t work this way, though. I was pissed. I’d been called an incompetent idiot. Alex had been called much, much worse.

So, I bit back my first response and emailed Alex, asking if he’d replied to the guy’s emails.

Alex sent me a long string of increasingly irate emails, beginning at 10 that morning—all responded to in less than 10 minutes by Alex.

Okay. That’s all I needed to know. Screw Spock and dispassionate logic. This guy was a butthead of the first caliber. What could we do?

I called Alex. “What can we do about this guy?”

“If it were me, I’d give him a refund and invite him never to be a customer again.”

“Can we do that?” I asked.

“I can have FedEx re-route his shipment back to us.”

I only had to think for about a millisecond. “Do it. I’ll refund his money, then he’s a non-customer.”

“Done,” Alex said, and went off to do what he does with shipping. He came back a few minutes later via email. “Done and done.”

Cool. I went into PayPal and refunded all of his money. We’d be out the shipping and rerouting fees, of course, but that was a small price to pay to be rid of him.

Aside: seriously, I am saving your mind by not posting the emails here. They were seriously, pathologically disturbed. This guy was, no crap, going to lose his mind because his amp shipped a day late.

There we go. Package rerouted, money refunded, done. Right?

Wrong.

The guy came back to me about 10 minutes later on email, even more livid than before. He’d noticed that we refunded his money, and wanted to know what was going on. (But with about 10000x more expletives and rage.)

I sent him a pleasant email in return, saying something like:

Dear Butthead (actually his real name),

We have refunded your purchase in full and re-routed the shipment of your B-stock Mjolnir. We have done this because you are so disappointed with our service to date. If you are this unhappy now, we have no confidence that we will ever be able to make you happy. We believe this parting is for the best, and wish you luck in finding the perfect component to meet your needs.

Sincerely,

Jason, etc.

Oh, boy, was he ever pissed. After four or five more irate emails, Alex and I seriously wondered if we’d meet a guy with a lead pipe at the office on Monday morning.

But Saturday was quiet—no emails.

And Sunday was the same.

And nobody was waiting to jump us on Monday.

So, end of story, right?

Oh no.

About a week later, Alex starts wondering where that Mjolnir went. It had never come back to us. And it had only been shipping within California, so it should have come back quickly.

He checked the shipping record, and quickly found the problem: the guy we’d shipped it to had called FedEx himself and rerouted it to a FedEx office, then picked it up.

Yes, the guy we refunded and finalized the transaction, so we couldn’t charge against his card again.

“What do you want me to do?” Alex asked me, his eyes dark and murderous.

“Whatever you want,” I said.

Luckily, Alex is very good at internet forensics. Through this guy’s multiple email addresses, he was able to track down his LinkedIn, his business website (yes, he had his own business), and his Facebook page. On his Facebook page, in plain view, was a photo of the Mjolnir.

Alex sent an email (and a registered letter) to the guy’s main business address, demanding payment for the Mjolnir within 72 hours—or a visit from the sheriff’s department.

He tried to play it off: “Thank you for the gift of the Mjolnir, in compensation for your poor customer service,” the smug person emailed.

We reiterated that it was clearly not a gift, and repeated the timetable. Pay, or see how having a criminal record for grand theft felt.

Over the next few days, we endured various emails about what terrible people we were, our relationship with our mothers, how we had small body parts, etc. None were responded to, save to remind him of the time ticking away.

I really thought we’d have to get the police involved, but on the last day, he blinked. He paid for the Mjolnir.

And that, really, was that.

However—if he ever orders anything else, it won’t be shipped. If that Mjolnir comes in for service, he will be getting a check for full value in return, and we’re keeping the amp. We don’t need customers like that. Ever. For any reason.

Starting a business? Working with customers? Repeat after me: not every customer is worth having."

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #668 of 1,113
This little gadget is wonderful. Now that I have most of my headphone cables switched to 4pins xlr balanced, I need a way to connect to Euforia for when I want to listen directly to a tube amp. No surprise here as I have been listening to tube amps for 2 years and I'm still a tube amp lover.

So this xlr to 1/4 adapter which doesn't cost much, allows me to do just that.

@canthearyou I did not really answer your question of what tube combos is best for Elise. Well my answer is quite correct. There really is no definitive best combo. Depending on who listens to it and depending on your mood and the genre you listen to, you can get practically any tube combinations and they will sound good on Elise and Euforia. The tubes in picture are stock Psvane 6sn7 and Rca 6as7g, which gives a very rich, warm and lush tone. In short, Elise / Euforia are immensely tuneable. :)

20170808_062405.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #669 of 1,113
Thanks Mordy for relisting that post from Jason. It's an important and practical lesson for our world today. You simply can't please everyone. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #670 of 1,113
Now that my Elise is on its way to Poland for a rebuild, I need to get some tubes. Is there a pair of power and drivers that are unanimously agreed to be the best?

I could list you a lot of tube combinations that sounds good. Really depends on your budget. Without making you more confused I'll just list 3 of varying prices.

1. Psvane 6sn7 and Mullard 6080
2. Sylvania 6sn7wgt and Bendix 6080wb
3. Sylvania 6sn7w and Gec 6as7g

The last is the most expensive but also my favourite.

Ok make it 4.

4. 7N7 with adapters and Tung Sol 5998.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #671 of 1,113
I think someone from your neck of the woods has a Glenn 300B amp...Tony, maybe, not sure.

Hi Joe, Tony does indeed live in Australia but Australia is a continent. If he lives on the other side of the coast from me, then we are really very far apart. :)

Besides, it's best not to meet Tony. He goes through far too many expensive gear. :)

On your thoughts about OTL amps, I couldn't agree more. Why do you think I have Elise, Euforia and La Figaro 339 ... well Elise for a good 1.5 years. I have been fascinated by OTL because the driver and power tubes changes the tone quite immensely. It's great for tube rolling but bad for your pocket. After 2 years of tube rolling, I've settle down to just listening to music.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #672 of 1,113

Anyhoo, here's another picture of Euforia in action as a preamp, feeding Ragnarok. Very interesting tone indeed. You have the best of both worlds. Morale of the story. Never be afraid to experiment.

No problem UT :beyersmile: Actually, I am not sure what to do next. But I am keeping my record player, that is for sure :L3000:

Btw, I love Harbeths. Want a pair really bad.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #673 of 1,113
No problem UT :beyersmile: Actually, I am not sure what to do next. But I am keeping my record player, that is for sure :L3000:

Btw, I love Harbeths. Want a pair really bad.

I'm sure you will find your lovely setup eventually and the turntable is a good starting point.

I was talking about KEF LS50 in the Ragnorak thread when this guy mention Harbeths. When I look it up, I realise they are very good speakers indeed. :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #674 of 1,113
I'm sure you will find your lovely setup eventually and the turntable is a good starting point.

I was talking about KEF LS50 in the Ragnorak thread when this guy mention Harbeths. When I look it up, I realise they are very good speakers indeed. :)

:beyersmile: I think so anyway, but have only heard the SHL5. I like boxes :L3000:

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #675 of 1,113
I love turntable too. Just using the Denon DP300f now.

Could have gotten a good turntable for the price of Yggdrasil :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back