Feliks Audio tube amps
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #106 of 1,113
Place the speakers closer together and toe in. Oh man, this sounds so good now. Will I even want to go back to HD800?

I have never heard my speakers sound so clear and impactful, with an astonishing tight powerful bass. Now this is soundstage and precise instruments separation. Yggy sounds even better with speakers !!!

Pink Floyd rocks now.

Very, very nice. There is no reason for you to waste anymore money on headphones :)

Get the speakers you want and live happily ever after, no headphone will sound as good.

This is where the Rag or a Glenn 300B amp will really shine, when paired with some nice speakers

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #107 of 1,113
It's past 10pm and I am still listening to the Best of Kitaro on my speakers setup.

Yggy is the best thing to happen to my music. Simply wonderful sounding. Bass has that hard impact. On speakers it is more evident. Really good soundstage too. The music is haunting at moderate volume level.

Whirlwind, you are right. I don't how I will return to headphones again. That's astonishing considering I have just bought my HD800 and I love it a lot.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #108 of 1,113
I believe two Vidars would be powerful enough to drive anything! About the sound though, I believe we have to wait. This is definitely big boys territory now and the competition is well seasoned. Yggy did its magic though with Stereophile and TAS, didn't it?

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #109 of 1,113
If you know that Jason Stoddard was Vice-President of Engineering Sumo at age 25 and lecturing at Harvard on virtual marketing, the great products churned out at Schiit shouldn't surprise you.

I haven't taken notice of him and Mike Moffat before but collectively, they have a ton of expertise and experience to do high end. The fact that they choose to do so and make their products affordable is a big gain for consumers.

Yes Vidar will probably outdo products costing much more. Do I need Vidar?

No. I only need Ragnarok. :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #111 of 1,113
Glenn 300B amp would definitely be very nice too. I can't afford that now though. :)

A few years later. On my wish list...

You really need nothing more than a nice vintage receiver, which you already have...the sound is gonna trump any headphone sound regardless.

IMHO, the only reason to listen to headphones is because one has too. :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #112 of 1,113
You really need nothing more than a nice vintage receiver, which you already have...the sound is gonna trump any headphone sound regardless.

IMHO, the only reason to listen to headphones is because one has too. :)

Yup that would be me because I get up at 1am to listen to music and I need headphones at that hour or the police will knock on my door. :)

Stereo will be for weekends and earlier in the night. :)

Dammmmm..... I forgot about State of Origin tonight. Its our famous rugby match.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #113 of 1,113
I would never have thought that I would be using Euforia mainly as a preamp but looks like I am heading that way.

Listening to Marina Prior on speakers at 6am. What a way to start the day. As stated before, with Euforia and Yggdrasil in the equation, my speakers are singing so sweetly and clearly even at low volume.

I don't need an LCD 2.2 or 3 anymore. I need to focus on my stereo now. :)

Tubes in Euforia are still Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #114 of 1,113
Hi UT,

Re the Durian fruit, they are supposed to taste absolutely delicious, but they have such an offensive smell that they are banned in many restaurants and, apparently, in the Singapore public transit system:
upload_2017-7-12_20-3-57.jpeg

Angpsi,

The creatures you wondered about are called trolls (not mosquitos):

Only speakers now and no headphones:

Massdrop has now extended the HD650 run another 10,000 units; so far 13,400 orders. Why can't they drop the price under $200?

Want a pair of 5998 tubes? 43 minutes left for a pair - bidding up to around $104
upload_2017-7-12_20-3-57.jpeg
:

• s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
Have one to sell? Sell now
Details about 2 Vintage NOS 50's Tung-Sol Chatham 2399 5998 421A 6080 Domino Matched Tube Pair

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #115 of 1,113
Mordy, I have move from my study to my lounge now.

It's party time and let the tsunami begin.

And nobody bid on that Chatham 2399 because it's mine.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #116 of 1,113
Can't wait to get home to listen to music again.

That's my subwoofer at the far left. It fills in the low end for the Axis LS28 really well.

20170712_155900.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #117 of 1,113
Great start, I might be late to the party, was busy in my studies :D

I talked to Lukasz to upgrade my Elise but he said it will cost more and it will be better to go with Euforia instead. And he also mentioned that other Elise owners reached him to upgrade the Elise to Euforia specs, looks like I was not alone.

I am also going to sell Elise to afford Euforia, Euforia is definitely a step up in all departments. I have been catching up on the last thread and now another thread with 8 pages to read, back to reading.

PS If anyone is interested in Elise, hit me a PM :wink:

This is Elise. This amp arrived on the 27th Oct 2015. I had almost 1.5 years of audio bliss with it. It only cost me $649 back then. It has since been renewed. Everything has been changed except for the transformer and chassis. It has been upgraded to 2017 Elise specs. I have since sold it to Ross because I also have Euforia.

Here I am running a strange tube combination. One Raytheon 6sn7gt vt231 black glass and RCA 6sn7gtb with a pair of GEC 6as7g power tubes. :wink:

Sounds really good though.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #118 of 1,113
You can't upgrade Elise fully to Euforia because the latter power transformer is bigger.

Euforia chassis has a better finish and nice solid feet. It is the internal that the changes are greatest.

Euforia sounds a lot more polish and refined. Stock tubes in Euforia sounds a bit too warm and would suit a bright sounding headphone such as hd800.

I am looking forward to Ragnarok. It would be a good contrast to Euforia.

This is as far as I would go in Head-Fi. It's time to make my gear useful and play the music I want to hear. :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #119 of 1,113
Congrats on the new thread UT, good start. I use the Euphoria out to my Harmin-Kardon 2200 receiver and PSB Silver's and find that it helps to smooth out and warm up the sound just a tad. Nice sound, even had my old boss over for a listen and he was very surprised how much better it sounded this way. SOOOOOOOO UT, since you no longer need 800's you putting them up for sale? I could always use a spare pair!

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #120 of 1,113
Thanks CF.

UT's going it solo at the moment. So good on you to drop in. :)

As good as speakers sounds and 'feels', I would still need headphones. Like now at 1:50 am, I couldn't possibly turn on the stereo.

Besides HD800 looks so funky, if I only have one headphone to keep, that would be it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back