Feliks Audio tube amps
Sep 23, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #902 of 1,113
The Maggies always struck me as being good value. How reliable are they in the long term?

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #904 of 1,113
The pair I have must be close to 30. Still fine.

That speaks of the reliability of the Maggies. Even the name sounds good. The only problem is the low sensitivities of the Magneplanar 1.7. However there is a review that Ragnarok drives this Magnepan .7 with enough power. https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier

This is Absolute Sound's praise of the 1.7

"Not just The Absolute Sound's Affordable Loudspeaker of the Year, the 1.7 is the affordable loudspeaker of the decade" The Absolute Sound magazine, January, 2011

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #905 of 1,113
Yesterday I drove all the way to get the Auralic Aries Mini and then went to two GTG (Get ToGether) ... I think that's what GTG means.... or is it Good To Go?? :ksc75smile:

Anyway, at these 2 GTG, I heard the best stereo sound I've ever heard ... rivalling those of showrooms demonstrations. I saw Garrard 401, SOTA and Denon DP 59 turntables with Benz, Dynavector, etc cartridges. Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp and some incredible sounding speakers that literally move you with subterranean bass. No subwoofers required. What is beautiful is that the whole musical spectrum is so vivid and clear. It's not just the bass. I want those systems. The soundstage is simply massive.

Anyhoo... now back home and I've installed the Auralic Aries Mini to access my 2TB portable drive that is plugged into a powered USB hub and I have access to Tidal HiFi. All this controlled via my iPad using Lightning DS software from Auralic. Plain and simple. Very good sounding too because I did not use the Mini's DAC. I have the Aries Mini connected to Yggdrasil via coaxial for now. Not as good as vinyl but it is good enough for casual listening.

The new gear on the 2nd shelve.
20170924_071009.jpg

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #906 of 1,113
I will be getting the Prima Luna for the weekend ... hopefully. Seller is sending it by courier from Melbourne.

Also told me to be careful because the protective covers for the tubes are very tight. See picture of how the tubes are wrapped with the protective foam. Looking at the picture of the KT150 tubes in the PL, I just know I want to get them.

He also told me not to drop the remote control on my feet. Says it's metal and heavy.

A friend of mine has PRIMA LUNA PROLOGUE 2 and when i was checking is amp for tube rolling possibilitys and reading several threads what i saw is when rolling the other power tubes they are taller than the KT88 tubes and that the tube cage will not fit, the tubes are to tall

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #907 of 1,113
A friend of mine has PRIMA LUNA PROLOGUE 2 and when i was checking is amp for tube rolling possibilitys and reading several threads what i saw is when rolling the other power tubes they are taller than the KT88 tubes and that the tube cage will not fit, the tubes are to tall

Yes correct. If you roll in KT150, the cage won't fit. EL34 and KT88 are fine. I'll probably leave the cage off anyway. :)

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #908 of 1,113
When's your Primaluna arriving, UT? Cant wait for your impressions - 2 channel and headphones :) Especially how it stacks against the Ragnarok..and if only you had the Vidar as well then it would be a most awesome shootout!

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #909 of 1,113
It should have been here on Friday but it didn't !!! I'm going to sue the courier company for the delay. :)

Latest news is my friend will loan me the Redgum RGi35ENR black series to do a 3 way amps comparison - on speakers of course because Redgum is not a headphone amp.

I don't need Vidar now. I've the best Schiit in the house now with Yggy and Rggy. It's not about power. Yesterday at my friends place I heard these Wyndham Audio CH2 speakers driven by the Luxman 590A Class A 25 watts and the bass is subterranean and slam you in your chest, face and everywhere.

20170812_152506_resized.jpg.8fedbd73a53804329bcb895fe164db57.jpg

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #910 of 1,113
It should have been here on Friday but it didn't !!! I'm going to sue the courier company for the delay. :)

I think that the courier is this weekend checking if it works properly, you know, to check if there is no transport damage :ksc75smile:

About the picture, those two white "cupboards", I can only say wow. They won't fit in my house. My speakers are outdwarfed.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #911 of 1,113
Wow I hook up the Redgum RGi35ENR black series integrated amp and I was immediately impressed !!! The sound is big, vivid, clear, punchy and natural with no hint of harshness. It's clear to my ears that I prefer the Redgum sound over Ragnarok for speakers..... and just prior to that I thought Ragnarok sounded amazing on my speakers.

This is the amp. The 35ENR is 65w rms 8 ohms but it's the 120ENR at 175w rms 8 ohms that I'm interested in. However the 35ENR already sounded effortless driving my speakers.

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #913 of 1,113
Words cannot describe what I am feeling right now. What I am hearing from both speakers and headphones have left me speechless. This is the chosen one, the 5th element, the bringer of joy, peace and destruction. The amp and tubes are already burn in and what I'm hearing is a world class amp. Imaging and instruments separation is top notch. This is an ultra linear sound without the bloom and bloat of cheap tube amp sound. On the contrary, notes are startlingly vivid, coherent and pin point accurate. It does all this with all the goodness of tubes at it's best. I can't describe more for now. I just want to hear song after song....

and the amp 5 coats of paint is just amazing. It changes colour when you look at it from different angles. The amp is as good as new. So are the 12au7 and KT88 tubes and I got it for half price. It came in the original double box with special thick foam inserts - much better that Yggdrasil and Ragnarok packaging. Behind, all connectors are gleaming and looks quality stuff. The remote control is a lovely piece of solid metal and works like a treat.

20170925_181245.jpg

20170925_210936.jpg

20170925_211412.jpg

I will start a dedicated thread for Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP as a headphone amp eventually but for now I just want to soak in the euphony of the grandest scale.

Oh this thing is so heavy. Don't try to lift it too often. Do some gym workout before attempting to lift it.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #914 of 1,113
The Ref 5.5 also weighs about 34Kg, and the build quality is off the scale! I chose it, because it is a modern ground-up first principles design for a SET with power (18W) and control. And because I can't quite afford an Ongaku:ksc75smile:.

This is not typical Chi-Fi! This is a thouroughly modern, original design, hand-assembled in Beijing's art district.

I am investigating whether I can drive my HE-500 directly off the speaker taps, or whether I should use a resistor network.

And no, I don't work for Opera Consonance!

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #915 of 1,113
Having said all that, I'm considering an Elise for my high-impedance cans (HD600, HD250, DT-880/600, DT-770/250, DT-150, DT250).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back