Feliks Audio tube amps
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #873 of 1,113
Thanks O and DL for the additional info on more driver tubes option for the PrimaLuna. I just checked the manual and it says these are compatible replacements tubes:-

• For 12AU7: ECC82, ECC802S, E82CC, 5814, 6189, CV4003
  • For the KT88 switch position: 6550 and KT88. You may also use KT90, KT120, KT150
  • For the EL34 switch position: 6CA7, E34LS, E34L. You may also use 6L6GC, 7581A and KT66 though power will drop slightly
However I was advice by the seller (who is a really nice bloke) to use the Prima Luna supplied tubes of 12au7 and KT88 first before spending money on the wallet killing KT150. However many said that the KT150 is on another level of clarity, details and tight bass, huge soundstage and rocket launching capabilities. Ok the last part I make it up.

Furthermore the seller told me this:-

This may be the only integrated amp that you ever need, even if you buy pre-power combos, or other kit in the future, it's that good. Having said that, I have been saying that I will stop buying new Hi-Fi since about 1976!

Looking at his gear which included the Harbeth speakers, I think he has sample quite a lot of good stuff.

Ha ! This is in the Prima Luna manual says about the tubes they supply with their amps.

PTS™ - Premium Tube Selection™ Our “standard” PrimaLuna SilverLabel tubes are pre-selected using our simple 60 out of 100 rule and as such, are already “special” when compared to other standard tubes on the market. Out of 100 tubes which have passed the final quality control from the manufacturer, we are allowed to select and keep the 60 best pieces. The other 40, which are in no way defective (these just do not belong to the best 60), go back to the manufacturer and are used to supply other clients. Additionally, we keep an eye on all tubes still manufactured today and if special, high quality tubes become available, we consider them as candidates for our GoldLabel tubes. Normally these are tubes which are still in production—we don’t want to offer minor quantities of N.O.S. (New Old Stock) tubes as PrimaLuna GoldLabel tubes. Currently we have available 12AX7 and 12AU7 GoldLabel tubes.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #874 of 1,113
I will be getting the Prima Luna for the weekend ... hopefully. Seller is sending it by courier from Melbourne.

Also told me to be careful because the protective covers for the tubes are very tight. See picture of how the tubes are wrapped with the protective foam. Looking at the picture of the KT150 tubes in the PL, I just know I want to get them.

He also told me not to drop the remote control on my feet. Says it's metal and heavy.

5254-11.jpg

TONEWEB_kt150-2.jpg

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #875 of 1,113
My friend Jimmy Boi has just bought a Woo Audio WA5-Le. So we will have a mini meet at my place sometime later. It would be interesting to sample his WA5-Le.

...and tonight I will get to meet Rob and the other designers of Chord for the Chord Mojo Poly demo event at www.minidisc.com.au

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #879 of 1,113
The doubters in you will project such negativity. Anyhoo in the realm of audiophile, there will be such naysayers before they even try it. :)

No one will buy the Prima Luna HP primarily to drive headphones. Neither did I. This is great stereo tube integrated amp driving the likes of Harbeths and Martin Logans. I doubt the owners of such will heap such tubey praises on this amp if it didn't sound right.

As for headphones I shall soon find out as the PL is heading my way today. :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #880 of 1,113
+1 on driving MLs with tubes. I use an 18W SET with mine (Consonance Ref. 5.5)...

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #881 of 1,113
+1 on driving MLs with tubes. I use an 18W SET with mine (Consonance Ref. 5.5)...

Good stuff. Just check out the Consonance Ref 5.5 Mkii 300B integrated tube amp. Looks nice too and I have no doubt your Martin Logans will sing with this amp.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #882 of 1,113
They certainly do, especially after upgrading to Tianjin Full Music "Aubergine" mesh plates :smile_phones:

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #884 of 1,113
Oh no folks and @UntilThen it was a total misunderstanding. I was trying to congratulate you on the new amp with a bit of humor that you've finally gone overboard with such an extravagant purchase that is sure to sound either grand or tubey using that many tubes. You already have the great Euforia for headphones and the super 'Rag' for speakers - certainly the PL amp seems it could be better yet, but I felt a bit sorry for your wallet LOL. I'm eyeing this amp too, and would like to read more on its' thread and may try it sometime. Sometimes humor is not received the same way it was intended. Congrats and best of luck.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #885 of 1,113
All good DL. Move on.

You will be surprised Prima Luna is $100 cheaper than my Yggdrasil because I didn't buy PL new. Otherwise it would have cost $6500. I paid $3400 for pretty Luna. Aussie dollars of course. :)

My headphones gear are pretty much sorted. I don't need upgrades anymore.

I bought the Prima Luna solely to drive my speakers. The fact that it's supposed to be a good headphone amp too is simply a bonus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back