Feliks Audio tube amps
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #916 of 1,113
With PrimaLuna HP, there is a switch for either speakers or headphones. You can also use the remote to switch between triode or ultralinear (pentode) modes.

I still can't believe how well it drove both Eikon and Atticus. On speakers, it's a great tone. There's no shortage of power here. I'm only at 9 oclock on the volume dial.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #917 of 1,113
Looks like the Ragnarok will be moving to a new home soon...

I once had a PL Prologue 2 integrated but it didn't synergies very well with the stand mounted Dynaudios..

Eager to hear your detailed impressions of this beast...do you have any EL34s to roll with?

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #918 of 1,113
Looks like the Ragnarok will be moving to a new home soon...

I once had a PL Prologue 2 integrated but it didn't synergies very well with the stand mounted Dynaudios..

Eager to hear your detailed impressions of this beast...do you have any EL34s to roll with?

It's strange that I'm getting a few offers to buy my Ragnarok and Euforia after my posts of the PrimaLuna. I think they assume I will be selling those amps. I will make no such decisions now.

For a start, PL is so heavy, it's impractical to move it around and to take it to Cam Jam or Meets. I had to strained to lift it.

I'm using my HD800 with the PL now using the original stock long cable with the 1/4 inch termination. I'm so glad that HD800 synergised so well with PL. I've not heard so much micro and macro details on the HD800 before. There's none of the harshness or treble spike. It has the goodness of tubes and the clarity is even better than Ragnarok or Euforia. Much better I'd say. I didn't think I'd say that of Rag and Euforia so soon but clearly the PL is in another league in headphone mode. In speakers mode it's better than Ragnarok. The control and grip it has on my Axis LS28 is authoritative.

This person who has sampled a lot of stereo amps, has this to say of the PL HP. See the last post.
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/119115-primaluna-standard-vs-hp/?page=2

I'm so glad that a long weekend is coming up. Monday is a public holiday. I'll be able to really sit down and have a good listen to PL, Rag and Redgum with speakers and PL and Rag with headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #919 of 1,113

Yes right now it's just my musing. Detail impressions will have to come after a few weeks with all these amps and headphones.

I am using stock Primaluna 12au7 and KT88. It has the PL logo on the tubes. PL claimed that these tubes are carefully selected and are of the highest quality. I don't have EL34s yet but I will get an Octet set. I'm debating between Mullard and Tung Sol both of which have good favourable reviews. New reissues of course. I won't be chasing NOS tubes. A lot of tubes on eBay shows killer prices for NOS EL34 tubes. A quad pair goes for US$499 and I need 8 !!!.The 'modernised' tubes as Oskari calls them, sells for $36 each for Mullard EL34 and $38 for Tung Sol EL34.

I also thought of getting an Octet set of Tung Sol KT150. I was told there's only Tung Sol brand for the KT150. However, the KT88 has so much drive and control now I doubt I need more powerful tubes. Even EL34s will do the job of driving my speakers and headphones easily.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #920 of 1,113
All my headphones Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f and HD800 sounds fabulous on the PL. The stock HD800 cable is long enough to listen in the lounge sitting on the sofa away from the system. The LCD-2f stock cable is just a bit short. Those 2 new cables I have from Forza are just 1.5 metres. So I need I good long cable. As long as the HD800 stock cable.

Eikon sounds so good right now driven by the PL. I tested triode and UL mode and there's not much difference except that UL mode is louder and seem to have more grip. I have not heard Eikon sounded so good before. I think I will be saying this of all my headphones. Primaluna seems to be a Prima Donna now. :ksc75smile:

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #921 of 1,113
Having said all that, I'm considering an Elise for my high-impedance cans (HD600, HD250, DT-880/600, DT-770/250, DT-150, DT250).

You should. Those cans sound really good with Elise. I'm still very fond of Elise and Euforia. You don't get tired of your first loves.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #922 of 1,113
OMG 'Money For Nothing' is being belted out now with such force and intensity. I thought speakers sound really good with the PL but right now my HD800 is like a new headphone. There is bass NOW. Listening to 'Brothers In Arms' I can feel the hairs of my arms rising - you hear the mist in the battlefield after the last shot is fired and all you see or hear in the haze are the dead and destruction. Music has never sounded so REAL.:gs1000smile:

Ross, sell everything and get this Prima Donna. She's a killer.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #924 of 1,113
Hahahah...having trouble even selling the Elise and there's quite a number of Elises for sale on the trade forums here itself. So I guess the PL is not coming home anytime soon. In any case, a new one costs in the region of MYR17k!

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #925 of 1,113
UT, this looks absolutely fantastic. I wish you many great hours of music with her. Just like I have with my Euforia but then a level higher.

Althalus.

Thanks Althalus. After Euforia I thought that was it. In reality Yggy and Euforia with HD800 sounded end game but then Ragnarok came and then now Primaluna. End game goal has just been pushed further back.

I would really love to auditon PL with the best tube amps out there because it's sounding out of this world now.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #926 of 1,113
Hahahah...having trouble even selling the Elise and there's quite a number of Elises for sale on the trade forums here itself. So I guess the PL is not coming home anytime soon. In any case, a new one costs in the region of MYR17k!

You can afford it Ross. Just sell off your durians plantation. :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #927 of 1,113
OMG 'Money For Nothing' is being belted out now with such force and intensity. I thought speakers sound really good with the PL but right now my HD800 is like a new headphone. There is bass NOW. Listening to 'Brothers In Arms' I can feel the hairs of my arms rising - you hear the mist in the battlefield after the last shot is fired and all you see or hear in the haze are the dead and destruction. Music has never sounded so REAL.:gs1000smile:

Ross, sell everything and get this Prima Donna. She's a killer.
Hi UT,

Can't keep up with all the new developments lol....
Reading the PL advertising - is this true?

The PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium integrated amplifier has been hailed by experts as the best without regard to cost. Sam Tellig loved it in his review for Stereophile magazine, giving it a Stereophile Class A Recommended Component rating. Dick Olsher, a world expert on vacuum tube audio stated in his review for The Absolute Sound magazine said “It’s my current benchmark in integrated tube amplifiers.” Merriam-Webster defines benchmark as, “Something that serves as a standard by which others may be measured or judged.”

Because of our designs and proprietary output transformers, the 36 watt DiaLogue Premium has better bass slam than 75 watt tube amps from the biggest names out there. For customers with low efficiency speakers (84-86dB) that like to play their music loud and have a large room, they may want even more power.

We could have easily doubled the output power by simply doing what everybody else does: Run the tubes harder. You’ve seen it. Two power tubes per channel running at the jagged edge, producing 75 or even 100 watts. They also produce unhappy customers, who have to replace tubes every 12 months whereas PrimaLuna customers may go ten years before re-tubing.

A better, though much more expensive way to build, is to keep running the tubes easy, but add four more EL34s. That required enlarging the toroidal power transformer, adding a second Adaptive AutoBias board, and all the circuitry upgrades including the tubes, sockets, Swiss wiring, and Takman resistors.

The result is the HP. One of the most powerful tube integrated amps in the world. Delivering 70 watts per channel from EL34's, 80 watts from KT88's, 84 watts from KT120's, and 96 watts from KT150's. And like all PrimaLuna amps, the tubes are run so easy you can use it every day and just relax.

And it seems to me that you could get used old tubes without worries: (correct/false?)

BAD TUBE INDICATOR

PrimaLuna engineers wanted to make owning a tube amp so simple you would have no excuse not to have your tube dreams come true.

If a tube fails, Adaptive AutoBias will instantly put the amplifier into protection mode so no parts can get damaged. A red LED will light up in front of the tube that needs replacing. Simply plug in another tube, and listen. No guesswork. No smoking amp. No getting out the soldering iron or dropping your amp off at UPS.

It also seems to me that with them KT150s you could save on the heating bills in the winter.....

Caution! Don't look at this list of tube rolling possibilities unless you are ready to max out your credit card:

With PrimaLuna, you get to choose. Go for it. 6L6G, 6L6GC, 7581A, EL34, EL37, 6550, KT66, KT77, KT88, KT90, KT120, even the monstrous KT150.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #928 of 1,113
Just goes to show: it's all about the output transformers!

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #929 of 1,113
It's all true Mordy. I may have stumbled upon one of the best stereo integrated amp and headphone amp by chance.

What I hear last night and this morning makes me long for the end of my work day so I can get my next 'fix'.

As for tube rolling I will get an Octet set of EL34 and KT150. That will set me back $1000+.... and I haven't even thought of NOS 12au7.

However the PL tubes sound so good now...I will just soak in it and enjoy for a while.

Mordy buy this amp.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #930 of 1,113
Just goes to show: it's all about the output transformers!

I have wonder why the amp is so heavy. Must be a monstrous transformer in it.

If you read the PL write up, it is a point to point wiring using the best resistors, caps and other parts.

At night with the lights off, the PL emits a wonderful light glow from 14 tubes !!!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back