Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #10,726 of 11,519
I am new to world of tube amps and have been reading up on them. There are quite some discussions around not using the amp right away after turning on and that it should be let it warm up for ew minutes. What's the consensus on AE? If it needs to be warmed up every time after turning on how much time do you all give for it to warm up?

I tend to turn it off if I don't plan on using it for next 30 min and I am stepping away from it..but doing everytime when turning on is going to be a pain, but guess that's what it is as I want to extend the life of tubes as much as possible.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #10,727 of 11,519
I am not aware of any harm in listening immediately after switching on but my experience is sound may be more true to optimal capabilities after 30 minutes or so. In addition, my understanding is that if amp. is in a well-ventilated, not overly warm room it can be left on for at least 6 hours or so with no downside except perhaps a few hours less of tube life. Just my 2 cents as a fellow Euforia AE owner and prior Elise owner. Interested in the views of others, of course.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #10,728 of 11,519
Yes I can confirm what @LoryWiv said. Because of the nature of the vacuum tubes that work with filaments at higher temperatures, tube amp needs a warm up time so that the tubes reach its nominal operation point when temperature stabilize. However this doesn't mean you cannot use the tube amp right away, but that the optimal sound quality is reached after that.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #10,729 of 11,519
Hi, I’m completely new in the tube world and I’m thinking about buying a Feliks Euforia amp. It would be paired with Chord TT2 or holo audio spring 3 KTE. I’d like to ask you if there are any noticeable sonic differences between standard and anniversary editions?

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #10,730 of 11,519
Hi, I’m completely new in the tube world and I’m thinking about buying a Feliks Euforia amp. It would be paired with Chord TT2 or holo audio spring 3 KTE. I’d like to ask you if there are any noticeable sonic differences between standard and anniversary editions?
Thr Anniversary Edition is warmer with more musicality while the regular Euforia is leaner and more detail orientiert.

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #10,731 of 11,519
I am not aware of any harm in listening immediately after switching on but my experience is sound may be more true to optimal capabilities after 30 minutes or so. In addition, my understanding is that if amp. is in a well-ventilated, not overly warm room it can be left on for at least 6 hours or so with no downside except perhaps a few hours less of tube life. Just my 2 cents as a fellow Euforia AE owner and prior Elise owner. Interested in the views of others, of course.

Yes I can confirm what @LoryWiv said. Because of the nature of the vacuum tubes that work with filaments at higher temperatures, tube amp needs a warm up time so that the tubes reach its nominal operation point when temperature stabilize. However this doesn't mean you cannot use the tube amp right away, but that the optimal sound quality is reached after that.

Appreciate the inputs! The amp is very well ventilated and I will plan on using right away for now.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #10,732 of 11,519

@smutnyjoe I confirm what @ThanatosVI said about difference but considering the SQ of TT2 I would also consider Envy while it is in different price league, it is also sonically at least level above Euforia AE. I've found only one track so far that sounds better on Euforia AE than on Envy. However I can understand both budget and space limitation. Euforia nicely fits TT2 ot KTE design in black and shares similar dimensions with TT2. Overall Euforia AE is great amp IMHO and you should be very happy with it. In fact if I had enough space and budget I would consider getting both: Euforia AE and Envy for different setups.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #10,733 of 11,519
Thanks! To be honest, I really like the sound from TT2 (I just want to have a choice: super speed and clarity or adding some tubeness) . And I feel I have too much gear on my desk: TT2, Spring3KTE, v550, ifi zen stream, 2 or 3 headphones, and soon a tube amp. I've always been a minimalist :) That's why I thought I will reduce it to TT2 and Euforia, which has a small footprint in terms of tube amps. TT2 fits in my backpack so I can take it with me when I travel for a longer time, and TT2+Euforia (probably Evo version) would be my stationary setup.

I really like Envy. I've seen it two weeks ago on an audio show in Warsaw. It was beautiful, produced excellent sound, and had a lot of power. I could even buy it. But instead, I could buy Euforia + some stabilized rarity ZMF Atrium during ZMF November and I will be probably happier with a new TOTL headphone. But Envy looks like a long-term plan for me if I get in love with tubes!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #10,735 of 11,519
I tested the Euforia AE with the Spring3 KTE and the TT2 before I got my Spring3 KTE.

Both are great DACs and made sing the Euforia, but they have slightly different presentations. In the end is just a matter of taste. To me the Spring3+Euforia combo sounded more "analog" and realistic, however the TT2+Euforia combo was also very enjoyable.

Now, if you listen to DSD material then the Spring 3 KTE was noticeable superior to the TT2 in DSD native playback.
Second thing I observed was that while TT2 is a marvelous DAC, I didn't find its headphone amp to be special, so I thought that for that price difference (1.5K between Spring3 and TT2) I could get the Spring3 KTE + a way better SS amp. I actually already tested the Spring3 KTE with some SS amps and I could confirm that.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #10,736 of 11,519
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate your suggestions.
To be honest, I'm one of these people that really like both TT2 as a DAC and as a combo. And since it's ok for me as a combo, it can work as a transportable device as well (which can't be said about spring3 and Euforia :D ).
I really like them both and TT2 wins only because of these additional factors (having a SS amp that I like and a small footprint). Moreover, I don't look at the price so much as I've already paid for them both lol
But still hesitating, They are both great DACs but different. I just don't need them both, and even don't want them both. But that's me; others would probably like to keep them both. I just don't like too many choices/too much gear on my desk.

I just want something different than for example TT2's amp. That's why I got Violectric v550 a year ago. To be honest, it's a really great chain, adding some bottom weight and musicality ("adding some coloration" like a true Chord fan could say, haha, but it's true that the perfect clarity decreases slightly).
To be honest, I like this pairing so much with my new Verite Closed (my first ZMFs) that I don't know how it could be any better :wink: but people keep saying that ZMFs pair so well with OTL tube amps so I thought: why not? And decided to experiment and buy my first tube amp.

I've heard that S3 is better at DSD but I listen 99% of the time using Tidal ( /roon)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #10,737 of 11,519
For similar reasons I love my ADI2. A small black box that I can put in my rucksack and enjoy music from everywhere so I don't feel too much Euforia withdrawal. :D.
I also use TIDAL through Roon but for my favorites albums I prefer digital versions for highest SQ (AFZ, MFSL UHQR, DSD, etc), specially after TIDAL introduced MQA. Starting with why do we need today a lossy audio format when we can stream 4K-HDR/multichannel video/audio?.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #10,738 of 11,519
For similar reasons I love my ADI2. A small black box that I can put in my rucksack and enjoy music from everywhere so I don't feel too much Euforia withdrawal. :D.
I also use TIDAL through Roon but for my favorites albums I prefer digital versions for highest SQ (AFZ, MFSL UHQR, DSD, etc), specially after TIDAL introduced MQA. Starting with why do we need today a lossy audio format when we can stream 4K-HDR/multichannel video/audio?.
I’m always keeping an ADI2 for the same reason. It’s my 3rd DAC, after May and Spring. I used to have three of them.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #10,739 of 11,519
Is the current Euforia worth the upgrade from the Elise for mainly ZMF headphones? Considering the upgrade but I don't know if the upgrade between the two is worth it or if I should get the AE instead..

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #10,740 of 11,519
Quick question re. Euforia's auto-bias: does this mean that matched power tubes are of lesser importance as each will be biased optimally by this circuitry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back