Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #10,741 of 11,519
I know that Feliks just released the Evo. But I am not buying a 6AS7G amp again. I already sold my Euforia a while ago.

But is there any news or rumours about Feliks releasing a lower priced OTC amp? Something for the EL34/KT88 family maybe?

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #10,743 of 11,519
I know that Feliks just released the Evo. But I am not buying a 6AS7G amp again. I already sold my Euforia a while ago.

But is there any news or rumours about Feliks releasing a lower priced OTC amp? Something for the EL34/KT88 family maybe?
Many of us urged them to release an Envy lite with KT88/EL34 tubes.

Actually something like that is missing in their lineup as well, so chances probably aren't half bad.

However I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, since they are really busy with the current mass of orders

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #10,744 of 11,519
Hello,

The Cayin Ha 3a is really making alarm at the moment.
It offers great tube rolling possibilities with 6v6 tubes and 12au7 plus retifer tube.

Works very well with most headphones as you can read and have heard from first hand sources.

The price is also well below that of the Euforia.

Personally, I think it's a pity that Feliks didn't deliver an update for the Elise and Euforia that would make sense with the tubes.
Even if it otherwise offers such great possibilities.
I probably wouldn't have minded much if it had a different sound from the original Euforia.
Although it could probably only have been better.

Just a tip on the side,it's worth replacing the Mundorf capacitors on the Euforia with better ones it doesn't have to be Vcap,there are great capacitors from Audio Note,Duelund.
The conversion to Vcap got the last out of my tubes and amplifiers and I hardly buy any more tubes lately, although there is still some room for improvement with the 5998 tungsols and various 6v6,Kt 88,6SN7.

From this point of view, the Euforia/Elise is still one of the best Otl on the market, simply because of the variety of tubes you can use, even with adapters.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #10,745 of 11,519
Hello,

The Cayin Ha 3a is really making alarm at the moment.
It offers great tube rolling possibilities with 6v6 tubes and 12au7 plus retifer tube.

Works very well with most headphones as you can read and have heard from first hand sources.

The price is also well below that of the Euforia.

Personally, I think it's a pity that Feliks didn't deliver an update for the Elise and Euforia that would make sense with the tubes.
Even if it otherwise offers such great possibilities.
I probably wouldn't have minded much if it had a different sound from the original Euforia.
Although it could probably only have been better.

Just a tip on the side,it's worth replacing the Mundorf capacitors on the Euforia with better ones it doesn't have to be Vcap,there are great capacitors from Audio Note,Duelund.
The conversion to Vcap got the last out of my tubes and amplifiers and I hardly buy any more tubes lately, although there is still some room for improvement with the 5998 tungsols and various 6v6,Kt 88,6SN7.

From this point of view, the Euforia/Elise is still one of the best Otl on the market, simply because of the variety of tubes you can use, even with adapters.
For those of us who are technically challenged, is replacing the capacitors a straightforward process?

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #10,746 of 11,519
On the 6SN7 socket, it is quite easy to make yourself with a little skill.
You don't have to be a professional, just know how to solder and have a little sensitivity.

On the 6AS7G socket, I had an electrician do it, but it is more complicated and beyond my own abilities to do it myself.
It was important to me personally that it was done properly and not bungled, even by my own hand.

My impression is that it is more worthwhile on the 6SN7 socket than on the 6AS7G socket.
The Vcap TFTF did a great job on the 6SN7,on the 6AS7G with the Vcap Odam it just rounded it out,brought it up a notch overall.so a little more polish if you will,in definition,richer low end,a little more warmth and texture as well as contour and also made some areas of the high end better.
With the Mundorf, I occasionally had a distortion in the treble, which has since disappeared.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #10,750 of 11,519
Hi mordy.

Well done for keeping hold of your Euforia...you're in for a real treat with these KT tubes lol! :)

And as @connieflyer said (beating me to it, but I don't mind one bit!! :wink:), the best combo will in fact be QUAD 88!!...and yes again - by far! And another yes, the 6L(V)6/7581 adapter is the same pinout. As for which 88s, I myself - and others here - are finding the Russian reissue Genalex Gold Lions to be extremely good. Most other folks using these tubes also sing their praises, with the occasional problem turning up. I suspect the latter are possibly down to unreliabe sources, and/or plain bad luck lol! Hence cf's good advice for sticking to a reliable supplier such as UpscaleAudio in the US, or anyone else who offers pre burn-in and testing of tubes before shipping. I'm also quite sure that we will be much less likely to encounter any problems, with these tubes not being driven anywhere near as hard as would be in a power amp :L3000:

And so folks...................... an update from me on said KT88 quad combo..........................

My fourth GL KT88 arrived today, eagerly awaited after cf's findings re the quad - (well done for going straight in, mon ami!). To tell the truth, with the one as driver along with a KT66 I wasn't expecting a great deal more...wrong! Even with just a couple more hours on the 20 hr pre burn-in from HotRox UK, all I can say is...cf is absolutely right.

I'm still not quite believing the difference coming from replacing the 66 driver in the left channel with another 88. Basically, all the qualities I've described so far go up yet another notch (or 2!), the most obvious ones being even more 3D enhanced stage; even more detail/solidity/punch/definition and clarity to the bass (in my system); sharper attack to notes, and with subsequent greater sustain and decay; voice even more contained within its own space - as are instruments - and with more precision still in pronunciation. Overall is a sheer mastery of control, balance and cohesion...and all this is just for starters lol! Can't wait for more hours on this last KT88...not to mention the full works on converting them as opposed to sitting in my adapters...(shall be praying extra hard for this final surgery!). Speaking of scalpels, these KT88s simply cut through to the music like I've never heard before...but not in any way 'dry' or (negatively) clinical...again, in my own system at least.

And another - very important for some! - bonus...NO HUM from my HD650s!!!..and total, deathly black background from the Empyreans. The lower gain from the 88 compared to the 66 means turning up the vol knob a bit more, but brings this wonderful benefit. And even with the vol knob turned up quite high, I get no distortion whatsoever.

And so another pic of my current setup, but will be glad when I can get the 2 as drivers converted using the larger gold plated bases, to match the powers lol :wink:

DSC_0027.1.jpg

ps ...cf, female voices are now simply gorgeous - or, rather, even more so than before! I'm falling in love all over again with Loreena, Mim Grey ('Purple Sky'), Joan Collins ('A case of you')...and this is just for starters...(sshhh, don't tell 'She who must be obeyed'!! :astonished::ksc75smile:)...CHEERS!...CJ
Hi! Where did you get the the larger gold plated bases? Visually it’s much better than the smaller black ones …

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #10,752 of 11,519
I used to love that combination on Euforia AE. Now I use the quad of GL KT88s as drivers on Envy, with different adapters from @Deyan.
Too bad that they need external current.
Drop in replacement as in the Euforia would be cool 😎

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #10,754 of 11,519
For those of us who are technically challenged, is replacing the capacitors a straightforward process?
I have replaced all resistors and capacitors in the signal path: Texas Instrument TX2575 naked resistors at volume control (shunt) and between 6SN7/6AS7; Vcap cuTF capacitors before 6SN7, and film capacitors at output (replacing the large electrolytic capacitors).

As Deleeh stated, replacing the 6SN7 capacitors (and resistors) is quite straight forward; Replacing the output capacitors is difficult.

The capacitors replacement makes huge improvement in sound quality. Resistor replacement is not as significant

I am waiting for Mundoff EVO Oil supreme capacitors (on back-order in Germany for months) to replace current WIMA film output capacitors, hoping for further improvement.

My Euforia is a first production unit. I have only used factory recommended tube types (6SN7/6AS7 family), and high impedance phones.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #10,755 of 11,519
Hi! Where did you get the the larger gold plated bases? Visually it’s much better than the smaller black ones …
Does anyone know where can a get this large gold base adapters for the KT88 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back