Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #7,726 of 11,460
Nicely done, C.J., looks great! Glad you are getting this all just right to your liking. So when are you going to offer all these additions,adapters, led's in kit form? Looks like a winner! The price of $2200 for the SE amp is great, here in the states we only have one distributor and he does not offer tubeless, have to get the whole shooting match for about $3500, at that price I am not interested in it. I emailed Feliks to see if I can order from them direct without tubes, but I doubt it, when I asked about ordering from them direct they said I would have to go through their distributor, so does not look good. Oh well, happy with the KT77,KT88 more so than I did with a quad of KT88's. Think about all the fun you would have if you offered all the additions like you have now,, why you would be rich, and tired I would imagine. Glad it looks so good, would you offer it with green led's?

Hi @connieflyer, wow thats a serious mark up and at that price would have made the AE to rich for me. Here you can buy direct or from the sole UK stockist Audiobarn, the price is the same from both. They didnt have a price for unit without tubes until i asked, but it wasnt a problem to order it. From what Audiobarn have told me the FA pricing model doesnt allow for much of a margin for any retailer selling at the direct price. I'm guessing the import costs to the US must ramp the price up, but it does seem a bit strange that its so high, because the UK/European price does include 20% VAT/ sales tax, which is not applicable elsewhere. It also seems strange that they wont order a naked AE for you and just add their mark up. One can only guess that upscale may have ordered a certain volume of units to get the price as it is.

Sorry thats a lot of supposition and not a lot facts, but i hope Lukasz is able to accommodate you somehow, although CJ's route to audio nirvana is pretty enticing as always. Sadly, i cant see any GEC TT21's for less than £250 each, which makes the AE with a quad of KT88's look okay for the money. :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #7,727 of 11,460
Yo @teknorob23 ...if I myself hadn't struck lucky with 2x (good) used TT21s for about £140 the pair (and 1x NOS at £175) I would never have known the magic I'm now enjoying lol! But when GU50 adapters are finally available, I'm sure anyone prepared to go the 12V heater route will still be able to take their Euforia (or Elise) to another level...and far cheaper than 4x reissue KTs, which the GU50 does indeed surpass - the JAC Music guy was right, much to my astonishment (I didn't believe him at first to be honest!). Not up to the 50/21 combo, but excellent nonetheless :).

On reflection, I suppose it wouldn't be impossible for Mrsx to make a double adapter to take one GU50 and a KT tube if there was interest and they were willing...should bring further improvement once again over just the two powers...:wink:. And I personally have no worries this time about these particular tubes being doubled, given they don't get the amp's circuit running anywhere near 'normal' operating temperatures, even with the quad power combo and 2x drivers :):)...BFN

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #7,728 of 11,460
OK guys...just an interesting reflection on reading Headfonia's review of the AE Euforia.

Firstly, his description of the improvements over the standard amp mirror precisely what I'm now hearing from my dual GU50/GEC TT21 power combo, driven by 2x GU50s....no exaggeration. But in addition, with more hours on my duos' connecting wires, there is a noticeable increase in dynamic range handling, highlighting just how 'compressed' many recordings are in this respect (as opposed to frequency compression - kHz/bit rendering)....ie. those that haven't been 'reduced' in this way have a more impactful range from soft to very loud. And this in addition to even more previously unheard detail from either of the 2 tubes individually..???

I suspect that my own results are no doubt helped by my use of UP-OCC silver and copper wires throughout, not to mention my Naim UnitiCore source via said UP-OCC wire-clad coax cable as opposed to computer and USB. This wire will also be raising my Empyrean's performance a good bit above his own, if he was using stock.

Also, the GU50s and TT21s (as would be the KT tubes) will be streets ahead of the RCA/Chatham 6AS7G powers and stock PsVane drivers he was using.

And so, as I have no doubt my system could well easily match the reviewer's own findings now, it begs the question just how the AE Euforia might sound in my system, given the above...:wink:...closer to his amps at 2 to 3 times the price lol?...hmmmm.......(if only I'd had one to demo! :triportsad:). But then again, it's not guaranteed that my multi-tube combo would synergise with the new circuitry to the same degree!! Ah well, I'm not too worried actually, given the stellar sound I'm now fortunate enough to be coaxing out of my standard Euforia...each new track confirms it's not only a Special Edition, but a Super one. I count myself very lucky indeed...as does my wallet! :ksc75smile:

ps. All of the above also confirms the latent potential of the standard Euforia...I for one shan't bother opening mine up for component surgery lol! :L3000::L3000:...(perhaps! :wink:)...CJ

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #7,729 of 11,460
This photo will be part of my review on Feliks Euforia, but right now it is also the cover art on Audiophile-Heaven's Facebook page. You could probably say I like it. A lot :)

82310982_2987795394610870_4000302560622673920_o.jpg

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #7,730 of 11,460
ps. @Johnnysound and anyone interested, I asked xulingmrs to make adapters for the GU50 a few days ago and they agreed. I expect it's taking longer than usual because of the need for extra work in attaching external heater wires, so hopefully they'll be available some time next week. Will keep y'all informed...CJ

Good news ! unfortunately, I have had problems with Mrs. Xuling EL11/6SN7 adaptors, at least three of them (!) just ceased working at different times for no apparent reason (after using them carefully) which indicates (for me) very bad soldering. I reported this to xulingmrs, and they promised to send me some free of charge...anyway, if they will make GU50 adaptors, I would suggest a message emphasizing the need for better quality control, or (more to the point), double soldering on all internal contacts...including the external wires.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #7,731 of 11,460
OK guys...just an interesting reflection on reading Headfonia's review of the AE Euforia.

Firstly, his description of the improvements over the standard amp mirror precisely what I'm now hearing from my dual GU50/GEC TT21 power combo, driven by 2x GU50s....no exaggeration. But in addition, with more hours on my duos' connecting wires, there is a noticeable increase in dynamic range handling, highlighting just how 'compressed' many recordings are in this respect (as opposed to frequency compression - kHz/bit rendering)....ie. those that haven't been 'reduced' in this way have a more impactful range from soft to very loud. And this in addition to even more previously unheard detail from either of the 2 tubes individually..???

I suspect that my own results are no doubt helped by my use of UP-OCC silver and copper wires throughout, not to mention my Naim UnitiCore source via said UP-OCC wire-clad coax cable as opposed to computer and USB. This wire will also be raising my Empyrean's performance a good bit above his own, if he was using stock.

Also, the GU50s and TT21s (as would be the KT tubes) will be streets ahead of the RCA/Chatham 6AS7G powers and stock PsVane drivers he was using.

And so, as I have no doubt my system could well easily match the reviewer's own findings now, it begs the question just how the AE Euforia might sound in my system, given the above...:wink:...closer to his amps at 2 to 3 times the price lol?...hmmmm.......(if only I'd had one to demo! :triportsad:). But then again, it's not guaranteed that my multi-tube combo would synergise with the new circuitry to the same degree!! Ah well, I'm not too worried actually, given the stellar sound I'm now fortunate enough to be coaxing out of my standard Euforia...each new track confirms it's not only a Special Edition, but a Super one. I count myself very lucky indeed...as does my wallet! :ksc75smile:

ps. All of the above also confirms the latent potential of the standard Euforia...I for one shan't bother opening mine up for component surgery lol! :L3000::L3000:...(perhaps! :wink:)...CJ

The AE Euforia look really nice, but the upgrades over the “standard” one (wiring, caps, trafo) look more incremental than substantial (IMHO) in terms of final sound quality. With all due respect for UP-OCC wiring, (and given the short internal runs) I think that Euforia silver wiring is perfectly up to the task. The new caps might be really good, but so are the Mundorfs. There is a new “low noise” trafo, but the original is also a high quality, “low noise” one. The mods on the circuit or general config could be relevant, but the advertised mods look like no more than slight “refinements” of the original. Which makes sense, you do not want to risk changing anything substantial in an already great sounding amp. Of course, only head to head comparisons would tell...

At last, got a pair of GLKT88s, and (like CF) put them as powers with GLKT77s as drivers. I must say I am impressed with the heft and build quality of the GLs...very nice looking tubes, and (as CJ said) the big plates look like American “heavy duty” 6550s...anyway, very nice sounding powers out of the box, with unexpected finesse, nuance, and great, tight, accurate bass. And yes, driven by the KT77s which are sweet and highly dynamic, this must be one of the best combos I have heard in Euforia. At least as a preamp, it simply rocks !!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #7,732 of 11,460
Good news ! unfortunately, I have had problems with Mrs. Xuling EL11/6SN7 adaptors, at least three of them (!) just ceased working at different times for no apparent reason (after using them carefully) which indicates (for me) very bad soldering. I reported this to xulingmrs, and they promised to send me some free of charge...anyway, if they will make GU50 adaptors, I would suggest a message emphasizing the need for better quality control, or (more to the point), double soldering on all internal contacts...including the external wires.

Hi J.

It looks like you were very unlucky indeed with your particular adapters from Mrsx. Although a few folks have occasionally had problems - that have been replaced, no fuss - most seem very happy with them...especially for their very reasonable (IMHO) cost. And especially also given the hundreds they have made for us here over the years.
But I shall certainly impress upon them the benefits of trying to improve reliability lol!! :wink:

The AE Euforia look really nice, but the upgrades over the “standard” one (wiring, caps, trafo) look more incremental than substantial (IMHO) in terms of final sound quality. With all due respect for UP-OCC wiring, (and given the short internal runs) I think that Euforia silver wiring is perfectly up to the task. The new caps might be really good, but so are the Mundorfs. There is a new “low noise” trafo, but the original is also a high quality, “low noise” one. The mods on the circuit or general config could be relevant, but the advertised mods look like no more than slight “refinements” of the original. Which makes sense, you do not want to risk changing anything substantial in an already great sounding amp. Of course, only head to head comparisons would tell...

At last, got a pair of GLKT88s. and (like CF) put them as powers with GLKT77s as drivers. I must say I am impressed with the heft and build quality of the GLs...very nice looking tubes, and (as CJ said) the big plates look like american “heavy duty” 6550s...anyway, very nice sounding powers out of the box, with unexpected finesse, nuance, and great, tight, accurate bass. And yes, driven by the KT77s which are sweet and highly dynamic, this must be one of the best combos I have heard in Euforia. At least as a preamp, it simply rocks !!

Yo J...it would seem on paper the AE upgrades may not actually justify the higher cost, but @teknorob23 was certainly impressed with his own unit :). And even head to head comparisons could vary from system to system of course! All I know personally is that my own latest multi-combo tube setup is so far ahead of stock that I do actually doubt the extra expense would be worth it for me at least :wink:. I don't know whether it's more hours on my duos' connecting wires or further burn-in of my last 2 GU50s, but yesterday - yet again! - I hardly recognised what was coming out of my Euforia. I know I've said similar before, but this time it truly was like listening to a different amp entirely...everything is up yet another notch (or 2!), from an already superlative performance - the increased dynamic range handling presumably 'opening up' the FR, thereby allowing much more (micro/macro) detail to come through, along with greater tonal range. (I suspect a major factor could indeed be the GU50s continuing to improve well after 150+ hours...not to mention the NOS GEC TT21 in the mix of course!).

And yes, those GL KT88s do indeed look and sound impressive IMO...and obviously the KT77 synergises very well with them as drivers...@connieflyer certainly loves the combo, and being my deputy chief tester I'll be making him a dual adapter/cradle so as to see whether he duplicates my findings re. the quad powers but with GL 88s, instead of my GEC TT21s, partnering GU50s (driven instead also by his KT77s). This should then confirm if it might be worth asking Mrsx to possibly make a dual adapter for folks :ksc75smile:...(all I need now is more hours in the day lol!! :wink:)....CHEERS!...CJ

ps. If you like the GLKT88s now, just wait 'til they have at least 100 hrs on them!! :L3000:...(But the GU50 is still better lol! :laughing:)...

Jan 19, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #7,733 of 11,460
And C.J. I will certainly take on the new task with pleasure. Hoping it will allow an upgrade path for those that already have the GLKt88's to experience the Gu50's as well. My thoughts were that it will. Now if I am wrong of course I will let you all know. Not a fan of making a purchase and hiding the facts just to try not to lose face. When I am wrong, no disgrace in admitting it and moving on. So thank you C.J. will do my level best to ascertain whether this will be still another path we can take the Euforia, turning out to be a very good purchase.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #7,734 of 11,460

At last, got a pair of GLKT88s. and (like CF) put them as powers with GLKT77s as drivers. I must say I am impressed with the heft and build quality of the GLs...very nice looking tubes, and (as CJ said) the big plates look like american “heavy duty” 6550s...anyway, very nice sounding powers out of the box, with unexpected finesse, nuance, and great, tight, accurate bass. And yes, driven by the KT77s which are sweet and highly dynamic, this must be one of the best combos I have heard in Euforia. At least as a preamp, it simply rocks !!

I was expecting to be underwhelmed before
I demo’d it, but all I can say is it’s definitely better than the some of its upgrades. I highly recommend giving it a listen if you can. It was a long time in the development and I fact was delayed by 3 months, so there’s no doubting the work Lukasz and his team have put in to it, and from what I can hear it’s a legitimate upgrade not just a tweak. Quad of kt88s sound stunning, both driving my stellias and my primare amp/pmc speakers.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #7,735 of 11,460
Have seriously considered one, in the past, but the fact I have to go through distributor in the States, and his price is way out of line with the value, many more amps in this price range. So continuing to experiment with better tube combos, right now Kt GLKT 88's power, GLKT77's drivers use as a pre amp to my Anthem MRX720 I have no complaints. Good luck with yours

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #7,736 of 11,460
When companies obtain worldwide distribution chains and strategic deals like Focal partner, innovation or price / value ratio fall from their top priorities. This happened a lot with Intel, Apple and other vendors. Look at Samsung releasing tens of times the same phone with minor tweaks and everyone buys it. This is how commerce and business go.

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #7,737 of 11,460
Hi J.
... I'll be making him a dual adapter/cradle so as to see whether he duplicates my findings re. the quad powers but with GL 88s, instead of my GEC TT21s, partnering GU50s (driven instead also by his KT77s). This should then confirm if it might be worth asking Mrsx to possibly make a dual adapter for folks :ksc75smile:...(all I need now is more hours in the day lol!! :wink:)....CHEERS!...CJ

ps. If you like the GLKT88s now, just wait 'til they have at least 100 hrs on them!! :L3000:...(But the GU50 is still better lol! :laughing:)...

Hi @hypnos1, just to assure I am thinking of this the right way, if the Euforia amperage total shouldn't exceed ~ 6.5 A and the KT88 are 1.6 A each = 6.4 A for the quad powers, will any further current needed for the drivers require external heaters?

Also, now about 25 hours into my quad GL KT88's in Elise the more "conventional" way, a pair as drivers and a pair as powers. I am really, really impressed. The bass quantity and control has improved, and treble goes to the edge of extension w/o any fatiguing quality, retaining sweetness and musicality. Mids may be a tad less forward and euphonic then with GL KT77 as drivers but that actually was a bit overwhelmingly "in your face". Soundstage is wide / deep / tall but not excessive and sounds very natural. That said, the best part is the detail retrieval, instrument placement and layering...best I've heard from Elise.

Looking forward to the next 75+ hours! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #7,738 of 11,460
Hi @hypnos1, just to assure I am thinking of this the right way, if the Euforia amperage total shouldn't exceed ~ 6.5 A and the KT88 are 1.6 A each = 6.4 A for the quad powers, will any further current needed for the drivers require external heaters?

Also, now about 25 hours into my quad GL KT88's in Elise the more "conventional" way, a pair as drivers and a pair as powers. I am really, really impressed. The bass quantity and control has improved, and treble goes to the edge of extension w/o any fatiguing quality, retaining sweetness and musicality. Mids may be a tad less forward and euphonic then with GL KT77 as drivers but that actually was a bit overwhelmingly "in your face". Soundstage is wide / deep / tall but not excessive and sounds very natural. That said, the best part is the detail retrieval, instrument placement and layering...best I've heard from Elise.

Looking forward to the next 75+ hours! :smile_phones:

Hi LW...just a quickie before zzzzzzz.

The quad powers in question will be 2x KT88s and 2x GU50s, the latter (12V) having external heating so no problem there lol.

Glad the KT88s as drivers also are now more to your liking...that's just how they performed for me and my own particular system. From what you describe - along with @Johnnysound 's and @connieflyer 's findings - the 77s would appear to be better suited to the likes of the Senn HD800 rather than my more 'mellow' Empyreans...the 88s giving the Mezes a welcome 'shot in the arm' lol! :ksc75smile: It will therefore be very interesting indeed to hear what the GU50s bring to his table when partnering KT88s as powers, driven by the 77s...my own suspicion is that they may well bury once and for all some folks' questioning of the 800's bass, along with showcasing other (latent) qualities of the Senns (particularly after hearing what they do for my 650s!). But time will, as always, tell...BFN...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #7,739 of 11,460
I was expecting to be underwhelmed before
I demo’d it, but all I can say is it’s definitely better than the some of its upgrades. I highly recommend giving it a listen if you can. It was a long time in the development and I fact was delayed by 3 months, so there’s no doubting the work Lukasz and his team have put in to it, and from what I can hear it’s a legitimate upgrade not just a tweak. Quad of kt88s sound stunning, both driving my stellias and my primare amp/pmc speakers.

Hi, TR, and let me say that I have no doubts that the AE Euforia is a legitimate upgrade and not just a “tweak”... only that advertised mods by FA do not look very significant soundwise (for Euforia owners)...save for a hint on a new “very low noise” circuit config that they do not reveal...and this may be the most relevant mod over the original. Perhaps marketing strategy, who knows...

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #7,740 of 11,460
The GL KT 88 quad makes a fine nightlight, or with those center slots perhaps a group of tuxedo clad gentleman:

Quad (Night 2).jpg

Looks pretty classy in the daytime too:

Quad 3.jpg Quad 4.jpg

More than just good looking, at around 30 hours the quad is really starting to shine sonically in Elise as well! :smile_phones::):):smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back