Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,886 of 11,472
Hi guys, I wonder if everyone around here knows me, after being away from this thread awhile? Turns out I was auto-unsubscribed to this thread with the update of Head-Fi earlier this year.

Well my EUFOria technology amp is in storage while I'm still in Asia, but am taking up a recent combo recommendation anyway to save for when I get back. I've already ordered the RCA 6AS7G tubes, shown below. Does this appear to be the same construction that some of you were raving about?
s-l500.jpg
Hi DL, The RCA 6AS7Gs will not dissapoint you if you are after some truly "classic" tube sound: warm, lush, with pronounced bass and great soundstage... I allways enjoy the sound of the RCAs. I call them "jazz tubes". Fifties tubes (or earlier as my 49´and 46´vintage) and probably up to mid sixties are supossed to sound best...the RCA construction is unique with that black "skirt" below the lower mica, so you can spot rebranded RCAs everywhere...

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,889 of 11,472
I have a pair of GEC 6080 but no GEC 6AS7 i would venture to say that the 6080 will be warmer sounding than the GEC 6AS7. If i remember my 6080'S are warmer sounding than my 5998 maybe the reason why the 5998 are on my amp and not the 6080's. i like a sound that's not to warm sounding

Well I suppose this can be a bit of good news for you MikeLap - my extensive testing, owning both GEC 6080 and (formerly two, now one pair) of GEC 6AS7G has shown that at least on the Elise and Euforia, the opposite is true: it's the GEC 6080 that is much brighter / sweeter / dynamic, while the 6as7G is more laid back, lush with silky mids, weightier bass and easygoing treble. But to me the strength of the GEC 6AS7G or A1834 is the amazing realism, spot-on tonality and just right soundstage.

So I guess nobody around here has any experience or at least knows about different sounds of the 6N8S? But I guess that's all subjective anyway if tried on a different amp.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #3,890 of 11,472
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,891 of 11,472
Hey guys, after doing a little more homework I noticed there are two types of Melz 6N8S. The "metal base" version with slotted holes in the plates, and the "metal base holed plates" version with round holes. The former is going for about $60 / pair and the metal base holed plates (holed 'anodes') version are at least $160 / pair, which are said to be the best of the best.

The so-called mid-tier Melz
s-l1600.jpg

The best regarded metal base holed anode / plate Melz:
s-l1600.jpg

"Those MELZ tubes with holes in the plates were made for the USSR Military- never sold to the public -used for nuclear power plant control systems, and used on the Russian Space Station, and used for guidance systems on missiles. They are considered to be the highest quality tube ever made in the USSR, they were expensive to build, and were only used for special military purposes.

They sell for about $175 for a pair. Often called a 1578 MELZ."

(quoted from @ozaudios, feel free to jump in here)

taken from eBay:
5636643.jpg

for contrast, here's the design of the Foton 'ribber plates' 6H8C (6N8S), which are generally regarded as performing just below the Melz
s-l225.jpg

IIRC, the Melz are also the same tubes that are regarded as the best of 6SN7 which are also of the same class, and that's interesting to see at least some affordable pairs of the 2nd best Melz. I also read from a completely separate thread that the Melz are said to pair well with 6as7G tubes, which confirms a recent pairing here, with the Fotons. That would be cool to see some comparisons between the Foton and Melz versions on the Euforia

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,892 of 11,472
Impressive research @DecentLevi However, I guess the proof is in the pudding, or in the listening in one's own system. I have a pair of Fotons - not sure what particular flavor. They are good, especially for the price. But I wouldn't rate them close to the top of different drivers I own.

As I recall, when FA first introduced Elise they offered some kind of Meltz drivers as an upgrade. May be wrong about that.

I've retired from tube rolling. But good to see it at least remains on life support on this thread. Brings back memories of the early glory days ))))

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,893 of 11,472
Looking for Mordy,

Had a few too many pops tonight and bought some tubes. Did I do OK or what?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-RCA-JAN-6AS7G-MATCHING-PAIR-NIB/192282772734?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Hi aqsw,

Part of my enjoyment in tube rolling is to try to find bargains. How do you know what the market value is and how much to pay for an item?

There is an easy method for this: Type in what you want to buy, bring up the eBay screen, set the pop down menu to lowest price + shipping, and click. Now you get the current offerings in increasing price order.

THEN, go to the very left column on the screen and scroll down to SOLD ITEMS and click on the check box. You will now see what these items sold for during the past months. The actual selling prices are shown in green.

So here is the answer to your question:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Electronics/183077/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rca 6as7g&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,894 of 11,472
If anyone knows someone in search of a Euforia, there is one in barely used condition(June '17) for sale on USAM for $1200. Mine is incoming from Poland or I would have def jumped on this. Cheers!

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,895 of 11,472
With all this talk recently about RCA 6AS7's decided to pull out the pair I bought, only used about an hour, had GEC 6080's inbound. This time I paired the RCA 6AS7's with a pair of RCA 6SN7 GT from 1948 and I must say this is a really great combination. Don't know why I had never tried it before. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-RCA-6...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 price of $20 was a good deal to say the least. I see by my account, I bought them just before the GEC's came in so now I know why I did not pursue these before.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,896 of 11,472
With all this talk recently about RCA 6AS7's decided to pull out the pair I bought, only used about an hour, had GEC 6080's inbound. This time I paired the RCA 6AS7's with a pair of RCA 6SN7 GT from 1948 and I must say this is a really great combination.
That's another set of tubes I should try (and I should have them if I can find them). I have no problem believing that they can be very enjoyable. I'm such a failure as a tube roller. I'm sooooo slow at it.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,897 of 11,472
With all this talk recently about RCA 6AS7's decided to pull out the pair I bought, only used about an hour, had GEC 6080's inbound. This time I paired the RCA 6AS7's with a pair of RCA 6SN7 GT from 1948 and I must say this is a really great combination. Don't know why I had never tried it before. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-RCA-6AS7G-Audio-Radio-Vacuum-Tubes-NIB-Tested/282540045559?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 price of $20 was a good deal to say the least. I see by my account, I bought them just before the GEC's came in so now I know why I did not pursue these before.

Must be nice to have an unlimited supply of tubes :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,898 of 11,472
That's another set of tubes I should try (and I should have them if I can find them). I have no problem believing that they can be very enjoyable. I'm such a failure as a tube roller. I'm sooooo slow at it.
Hi Oskari,

I have gathered from several posts that some forum members have tubes that they have trouble finding. Perhaps presenting my
SSSSSSFSB (Stackable Space Saving Storage Solution System From Shoe Boxes) [or S system in short] will prove helpful in organizing them little glass thingies. These boxes can safely be stored 5-6 high - shown is only a small part of my S system:

upload_2017-9-7_14-58-26.png

This system is easily expandable and usually very economical (read free). Individual tubes are stored in their boxes or wrapped in bubble wrap with a rubber band around them together with a piece of paper with the vital tube information.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,899 of 11,472
I am using two three drawer plastic containers. Cheap and easy. They come in three drawer sets.
20170907_152617.jpg

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #3,900 of 11,472
This system is easily expandable and usually very economical (read free). Individual tubes are stored in their boxes or wrapped in bubble wrap with a rubber band around them together with a piece of paper with the vital tube information.
I do agree. I have tubes in boxes within boxes within boxes possibly within boxes. Those labels are extremely essential!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back