Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #3,871 of 11,460
Hi mp,

Looks interesting - I always wanted to try the 6S33S power tube:

Only 3.3A

From my old LD days I remember that that the start up current can be up to three times higher than the tube current draw, and the external power source for a 6336 tube has to be able to handle 15A.

The 6336 is supposed to be a dual 6080 tube.

Mordy, thank you for the startup surge current info. I did notice the amp scale went beyond 10 amp for a second or so when I turned on heater power.

I will use this power supply for one tube only. Will wait to try out Euforia until I get another external power supply.

BTW, 6S33S looks really cool.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,872 of 11,460
IMG_0484.JPG
Custom black adaptors...4 coats of flat enamel. I didn't like those white things !!

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,873 of 11,460
Currently allowing the NOS EL tubes some "burning time". Beautiful sounding tubes, with a delicate, refined, extended, very special sound. Great spatial qualities, also (with Euforia as preamp). Couldn't get rid of hum with the EL12 spezials as powers, will try the ferrite trick. But they are terrific drivers, with no hum at all. A bit different from EL11s, maybe the more relaxed tube in this position, being the EL12sp a tad more energetic...just initial impressions.

In a totally different setup, I am absolutely impressed with the Russian 6N1P-E, triple mica black anode fom 63', regarded as the "holy grail" in the thread about 6922/E88CC tubes, used as drivers in quite a few tube amps. By chance, found a pair of those very rare tubes, NOS, for about $40, got the proper adaptor and paired them with Mullards 6080...fantastic !! A sweet, fully organic sounding tube with thunderous dynamics, astounding bass, a real discovery. Researching a little, this tube was made to be 100% compatible electrically with 6NS7s, so I assume the Euforia is giving the perfect bias...it must be so..

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,874 of 11,460
Couldn't get rid of hum with the EL12 spezials as powers, will try the ferrite trick.

The ferrite choke helped me with EL12spez as powers. But I also had to fiddle some with headphone cable placement. Only took me a few minutes and once I found the right position coming out of Euforia I haven't had a hum problem since.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,875 of 11,460
The ferrite choke helped me with EL12spez as powers. But I also had to fiddle some with headphone cable placement. Only took me a few minutes and once I found the right position coming out of Euforia I haven't had a hum problem since.

Hi Pct...and with NO headphone cable at all ?
I have no HP cable to fiddle with. But certainly will have to find the right position for the antennas...sorry, cables.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #3,876 of 11,460
Hi Pct...and with NO headphone cable at all ?
I have no HP cable to fiddle with. But certainly will have to find the right position for the antennas...sorry, cables.

Sorry. I use Euforia strictly for headphone, so I can't be much help. Good luck. We are pioneers with our OTL amp and crazy tubes, so nothing comes easy :ksc75smile:

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #3,877 of 11,460
I have not had a lot of experience with the El12 spez tubes. I tried them with headphones and were great. Tried using as pre amp out, and had massive hum problem. It was only on one tube, replaced it with el12n and hum was gone, sent bad tube back, so long term do not know.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #3,878 of 11,460
Actually no one should ever take advice from me. About an hour ago I dropped my BIG wireless mouse on the floor right below my desk chair. The floor ate it. It is gone. Nowhere to be found. Had to go to Best Buy to buy a new mouse (((((

BTW. EL11/EL12spez has just gotten better and better. The SQ my system is pumping out is unlike anything I have heard since I first got into highend phones about 2 year ago. Organic, natural, relaxed, dynamic, airy, precise, Long Term Fatigue Factor = Zero. I know this sounds OTT, but it is scary how good it is. It is not euphonic. It won't compensate for poor recordings. But with most recordings it is pure magic.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,879 of 11,460
And BTW, also tried the Russian 6N6P as drivers, have a pair since these happen to be the standard powers in the LDIII. Great sounding tubes, similar to the (smaller) 6N1P-E. And dirt cheap. Compatible with the E88CC/6SN7 adaptor, but 0.750 amps each, at the very limit of the Euforia with standard powers, so I was a little worried. Not just because of the amp consumption, these are powerful double triodes not tried previously in this amp, as far as I know, so I didn't want to fry my new amp so soon...what do you think Mordy ?

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,880 of 11,460
IMG_0491.JPG The 3 mm ferrites worked very well. Zero hum, no fiddling at all. Used some conductive copper tape on the cables. The pairing of TFK EL11s and Tesla EL12sp is sounding quite good. The loud hum is gone, so is the first time I am able to hear the Teslas in its "proper" role as powers. Nice, fast, nimble bass and an airy, refined sound. Not as deep bass as 5998s maybe, but very likable on its own. These are NOS tubes, so I think they need some 20 hours or so... My black adaptors contribute to the sound, I'm sure (lol)

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #3,882 of 11,460
Hi guys, I wonder if everyone around here knows me, after being away from this thread awhile? Turns out I was auto-unsubscribed to this thread with the update of Head-Fi earlier this year.

Well my EUFOria technology amp is in storage while I'm still in Asia, but am taking up a recent combo recommendation anyway to save for when I get back. I've already ordered the RCA 6AS7G tubes, shown below. Does this appear to be the same construction that some of you were raving about?
s-l500.jpg

Next about the 6N8S tubes. I have a bit of info. to impart that may / not have been known already. According to a knowledgeable tube seller, the Foton "ribber anode" AKA ribber 'plate' version from the 50's are close to the best sounding version at a reasonable price, however really the Melz metal base ('holed anode' type if I understand correctly) are really the king of the hill, just much more expensive. The proceeding was rewording of the sellers words so may not be a 100% sound summary. And he bases this off a customer who bought all 6N8S types on a different amp, and didn't define in what ways the Melz was 'better' than the Foton. So I'm waiting until @mordy receives his second pair so he can compare a few versions on the Euforia amp.

In the meantime, has anyone here tried more than one 6N8S version on the Euforia, and which suits you best?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,883 of 11,460
Hi DL,

The RCA are the same ones I have - I believe that they are all basically the same. They stayed in production a long time and came under several rebranded names.
Presently enjoying the GEC 6080 - wonder if I am going to like them better than the GEC 6AS7? Will let them burn in and then compare.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,884 of 11,460
Hi DL,

The RCA are the same ones I have - I believe that they are all basically the same. They stayed in production a long time and came under several rebranded names.
Presently enjoying the GEC 6080 - wonder if I am going to like them better than the GEC 6AS7? Will let them burn in and then compare.
I have a pair of GEC 6080 but no GEC 6AS7 i would venture to say that the 6080 will be warmer sounding than the GEC 6AS7. If i remember my 6080'S are warmer sounding than my 5998 maybe the reason why the 5998 are on my amp and not the 6080's. i like a sound that's not to warm sounding

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,885 of 11,460
Hi DL,

Mordy, please read my post # 3879 above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back