Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,856 of 11,472
Interested to hear the answer myself. I couldn't believe what my Elise could do with the lowly Tivoli Model Two I have on my desk!
Hi angpsi,

I used to have a Tivoli radio (and in the stone age I visited the Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen, Denmark - it was across the street from the central railroad station).
Instead of looking for an esoteric British expensive desk system, how about an Audioengine A2+ speaker? They get good reviews and are reasonably priced and self powered as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-...&sr=8-4&keywords=audioengine+desktop+speakers

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #3,857 of 11,472
Hi angpsi,

I used to have a Tivoli radio (and in the stone age I visited the Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen, Denmark - it was across the street from the central railroad station).
Instead of looking for an esoteric British expensive desk system, how about an Audioengine A2+ speaker? They get good reviews and are reasonably priced and self powered as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-...&sr=8-4&keywords=audioengine+desktop+speakers
Read about them a ton, and they've been on my radar for long. I'm only afraid they might be a fad. There have been people mentioning that the A2 are very hyped.
On the other hand, I did buy a set of Audioengine stands to place my Tivoli system on, so—in a sense—I'm half way there! :beyersmile:

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #3,859 of 11,472
Reply from Lukasz: when Euforia is used as pre-amp, headphone should be unplugged; Pre-amp out signal goes through all tubes, including 6AS7 output tubes.[/QUOTE

Yes indeed, and another reply from Lukasz said that 6.5 amps is "about" the maximum recommended for Euforia. Same as Elise, so we have to assume both amps share the same transformer, or, if different, of equal power. Frankly, I expected a somewhat bigger trafo in the Euforia, for me, a basic upgrade in this premium model. Not that you need more power, but in my experience, an oversized power supply will simply deliver better sound. And peace of mind. With 5 amps for the powers, you have barely 1.5 amps for the drivers. And the trafo gets quite hot with 6080s like the Mullards...known for running really hot.
Anyway, myEuforia # 27, with a few hours and obviously not fully "burned in" is like a wild horse: it hits hard in the bass, is fast, dynamic and revealing, the highs soar so much and there is maybe a bit of "tube sound". This thing is all about resolution, and just a preliminary thought: if you get this kind of bass from a tube preamp, then you must have done your homework very well. If anything, I found the Euforia demanding, powerful, capable of much more, and I really like this from any audio component. This is not the kind of amp that "sounds good" and you are happy with. This one is not that easy...will surprise me any day....

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,860 of 11,472
@Johnnysound Glad you are liking Euforia. I found your description of it being more than sounding good interesting.

I agree an adequate power supply is critical for an amp. I think Euforia transformer is about the same size as Elise - the Euforia case is a little bigger for circulation. But as I understand there is a difference in the brand of transformers between the two amps.

I don't think the 6.5 amps limit you cited has much to do with the power of the amp. That is the limit for cathode heating circuits. As I understand it, that limits the type of tubes that can be used in Euforia, but is not really related to the amp's power. In fact, tube combinations can be used which exceed 6.5 amp draw from the transformer's heater outputs, but while the transformer will supply the excess draw it can overheat or even fail. At least all this is my uneducated understanding.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,861 of 11,472
IMG_1115.JPG

I have been using 12 volt external heater power supply for 12SX7 driver tubes recently.

Also bought an external 6 volt 10 amp heater power supply, I was planning to use 6336 power tubes. Have not tried yet. A bit concerned about 6336 tube reliability.

May try out later in DV 336 first. In case something goes wrong, it would not be a big lost.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,862 of 11,472

I have been using 12 volt external heater power supply for 12SX7 driver tubes recently.

Also bought an external 6 volt 10 amp heater power supply, I was planning to use 6336 power tubes. Have not tried yet. A bit concerned about 6336 tube reliability.

May try out later in DV 336 first. In case something goes wrong, it would not be a big lost.

Interesting. Where did you source your 12V adapter (+power supply?)

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,865 of 11,472
I could imagine. I just could not find it, only got power adapters when I looked for it.

It's always been difficult to get specific information on these external supplies. You certainly need an adapter wired properly. It looks like the one that used to be offered by xulingmrs on Ebay (properly wired for cathode supply in form of 6SN7 socket saver) may be no longer available, but you may want to contact her directly.

As far as the power source, I think AC is fine. In fact I think that is how the FA cathodes are heated. But need 6V or 12V depending on which tubes you will be using. And sufficient current rating. Don't worry if it is too much as the tubes will only draw the current they need. This is DC low voltage output but it should work for 12 V tubes: https://smile.amazon.com/SingPad-Wa...1504364441&sr=8-2&keywords=low+voltage+supply

Maybe someone else has specific recommendations. I understand it can be frustrating when you are looking for specific guidance. :smile_phones:.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,870 of 11,472

Installed 6336B tube in DV336 with external heater power supply . It works fine.

May try out in Euforia sometime down the road.

one 6336B and one 6SN7 do draw 5.5 amps heater current.
Hi mp,

Looks interesting - I always wanted to try the 6S33S power tube:

upload_2017-9-3_14-27-15.jpeg

Only 3.3A

From my old LD days I remember that that the start up current can be up to three times higher than the tube current draw, and the external power source for a 6336 tube has to be able to handle 15A.

The 6336 is supposed to be a dual 6080 tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back