Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #11,417 of 11,460
how important is a close match with power tubes on this amp?

got some 5998 tubes just dont know if they match. same date codes though

I'm personally waiting for my Euforia to show up, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can say this:

"matched tubes" are rarely perfectly matched. And I've never heard anyone give a clear definition of what "closely matched" really means.

Basically, if you already have the tubes, throw them in very carefully place them into the appropriate sockets and see what it sounds like. If there is a channel imbalance then it's not matched enough. If it sounds fine, then stop worrying and enjoy those amazing tubes! :)

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #11,418 of 11,460
I'm personally waiting for my Euforia to show up, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can say this:

"matched tubes" are rarely perfectly matched. And I've never heard anyone give a clear definition of what "closely matched" really means.

Basically, if you already have the tubes, throw them in very carefully place them into the appropriate sockets and see what it sounds like. If there is a channel imbalance then it's not matched enough. If it sounds fine, then stop worrying and enjoy those amazing tubes! :)

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #11,419 of 11,460
Those Sophia tubes look absolutely gorgeous. How do they sound? I've been thinking of picking up a pair for my WA6SE.
To me they sound a lot better than the stock tubes. I'd skip their 6SN7s but the others changed the music noticeably to my liking. I might go back to the 6SN7 tubes sometime just to see if they'll change but initial impression was that they weren't too different from the stock drivers. The blue look is mostly why I wanted to try them, that and I couldn't find too much info compared to various tried and true NOS tubes and wanted to try something new.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #11,420 of 11,460
Has anyone tried these tubes with the Euforia? Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE
They look very nice.
I have a pair in my Freya+ - I’m about 50hrs into the burnin process so a little too soon to judge but they sound beautiful so far.

IMG_2048.jpg

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #11,421 of 11,460
how important is a close match with power tubes on this amp?

got some 5998 tubes just dont know if they match. same date codes though
You don't need matched pairs. The amp has an auto bias and will balance the amplification of each tube individually. You can't notice if you have a 100% tube and an almost dying tube together. You only notice that the dying tube become noisy or microphonic.

Enjoy your tubes.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #11,422 of 11,460
You don't need matched pairs. The amp has an auto bias and will balance the amplification of each tube individually. You can't notice if you have a 100% tube and an almost dying tube together. You only notice that the dying tube become noisy or microphonic.

Enjoy your tubes.
Thanks
This makes me feel heaps better about buying tubes that are not matched.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #11,424 of 11,460
I see a lot of quad kt 88 photos of the euforia. Most be a winning sound.

Does the amplifier loose or gain power with this set up?
It actually loses some power not sure how much though

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #11,425 of 11,460
It actually loses some power not sure how much though
I need to turn up volume two notches when I use quad KT88. KT88 as power and kt88/kt66/ el34 as drivers tubes all lower the volume of the amp. Nothing too crazy but definitely some. With my euforia Evo and previously owned Elise, I found out that KT88 powers and 6sn7 or 6f8g w/ adapters are the best combinations but I'm sure other peeps might enjoy other combinations.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #11,427 of 11,460
Welp, my new-to-me Euforia has entered the building.

This is used, so the tubes aren't new anymore, but not sure if the stock tubes (guessing it's the PSvane from my experience) are going to work for me at all.... maybe they need more time to break in or warm up? Having issues controlling bass with my Verite Closed to the point it starts to make my head hurt after a few minutes. I've experienced this before with planars (LCD-2 Classic most commonly) on other tube amps, but first time with a dynamic that I can recall.

Honestly, was planning on rolling the tubes anyways, but kinda curious if it will go away with more time. Either way, curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

IMG_1443.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #11,428 of 11,460

This is used, so the tubes aren't new anymore, but not sure if the stock tubes (guessing it's the PSvane from my experience) are going to work for me at all.... maybe they need more time to break in or warm up? Having issues controlling bass with my Verite Closed to the point it starts to make my head hurt after a few minutes. I've experienced this before with planars (LCD-2 Classic most commonly) on other tube amps, but first time with a dynamic that I can recall.

Honestly, was planning on rolling the tubes anyways, but kinda curious if it will go away with more time. Either way, curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

IMG_1443.JPG
I’m running with stock tubes at the moment (NOS tubes on the way) and I find the mids a bit too sweet and shouty for headphone use, with VC and Elite. I’m very much enjoying Euforia as a pre to my speaker setup though, but yes I’m anticipating a big improvement in performance once I’m fully running NOS tubes.

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #11,429 of 11,460
Okay... gonna say the tubes just needed more time to warm up. Maybe a function of being an OTL amp makes things being more sensitive to fully warmed up? Never needed that long on my WA6SE or WA22. Either way, going back to the same track (Soen / Savia) which was giving me a headache before and the problem has gone away.

Probably way too early for a review or comparison, but first thought is that the Euphoria is missing a bit of impact and sound stage is smaller? (at least different) than the WA22... of course it's not really a fair fight with the WA22 running 5998's, Sylvania VT-231's and a WE-422A. Will have to rectify that imbalance sooner than later.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #11,430 of 11,460

IMG_1443.JPG
Hello,
yes the Ps Vane 6SN7 need a very long burn in.
We are talking about a minimum of 300-400 hours.
And until then, they break down again and again and come back in phases.
I didn't like them in the end and sold them, they just sounded too flat to me, and they also lacked bass impact, especially with the Lcd 2 like yours.
So your findings coincide with mine at the time.
Nice Euforia you have there, have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back