Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #11,101 of 11,519
hello euforia owners! please describe what kind of headphones you use, I'm very interested.
Any of the ZMF high impedance dynamics are a pretty sure bet.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #11,102 of 11,519
hello euforia owners! please describe what kind of headphones you use, I'm very interested.
@dpeterfy32 I would consider some of Meze, Focals, or if you are not afraid of quality and build issues: Audeze and HifiMan. Some prefer HD800 but I have no experience with such pairing. As for HifiMan Susvara I would rather consider Feliks Envy instead of Euforia unless you do not treat Euforia as your end-game amp.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #11,103 of 11,519
I reviewed and awarded the new evo today on my site. Excellent amplifier!

Feliks Audio Euforia evo award.jpg

Sry for the bad image quality, the resolution seems to get reduced when uploading here

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #11,104 of 11,519
I reviewed and awarded the new evo today on my site. Excellent amplifier!

Sry for the bad image quality, the resolution seems to get reduced when uploading here
6080 WB BENDIX TUBES are mentioned in this review as a nice set of tubes for the Euforia, but at Ebay they cost 2000 US Dollar the pair. Yes I could find a pair of 5998 used tubes, but the elephant in the room is this OTL amp has no real stock of nice power tubes to speak of. You could buy the adapter for the KT88 and lose your warranty. But the way I understand it; we must find a tube builder/ factory so modern, emancipated that he/ she/ otherwise will build a fresh 5998 tube or an equivalent. Maybe?! Perhaps a horse's head between the sheets is an option? (An offer one couldn't refuse).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265664706544?hash=item3ddad9b7f0:g:mQUAAOSwP9ZiaQmJ&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0KxU2QTUNG8G/nhSz90mMRy5mdJ6CRFafSmEgMT0ivjmXqS15FEOhS+JXbDI2YHsa3HjrDAZc/icgClLiOtn3MWmItzrPa4QfwD+Ml0iz3Z5pugyRfrWFzkvwJ/vKkPyqOdOB/ELVArHX61OHftB3v3OnzGgLR6zUD9hib1peF8il4rerYxaPaZpSckECWonxQeHi68/2RPb7gRs0SBia1TUKEYZ5xkWOVk5ZYmcG9k3S/9dw06I4HADvnP5Cg9V/7sz7rnXTVSyKKzbLzeoxmU=|tkp:Bk9SR5qb_qT4YQ

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #11,105 of 11,519
Headfonia review seems very good, but not great? Wish there had been a synergy effort with ZMF 300ohm cans just to have them in the mix (since that is what I own!).

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #11,106 of 11,519
Headfonia review seems very good, but not great? Wish there had been a synergy effort with ZMF 300ohm cans just to have them in the mix (since that is what I own!).
Zmf go very well with Euforia is one of the best pairings.
You don't have to believe everything you read in such reviews.
Unfortunately, half of them are often missing or forgotten.
Unfortunately, such reviews live from forgetting or not mentioning something.
That the Euforia is a tube monster is not mentioned, and also that it can be used with other tubes such as Gyg8, Kt series, 6v6, good EL tubes and many more with adapters, if you take a moderate approach.

If you go back a good 50-80 pages, you will always find someone who is very satisfied with the Zmf.
For tube options you have to look deeper here in this thread.
The Blackwood is not everyone's cup of tea, because of the hard wood, but that's another story.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #11,108 of 11,519
That is incorrect, I have been told, and in my experience changing the power tubes does not at all effect the sound character of the preamp output to the SS amp.

I wish it were not the case. On Envy, I can hear the difference in any tube change, power or driver. Euforia driver tube changes do make a difference in output sound, which while less impressively than the combined effect on Envy, is still very enjoyable.

I fully endorse using good tube preamps into good SS amps. It is also the best way to drive planars off Euforia.

Try removing the power tubes and see if you get any sound at the preamp jacks.
I think you will find that there is no sound in that case.

I had the Elise and for sure the headphone out was simply copied to the RCA "preamp" outs.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #11,109 of 11,519
Sorry but no ZMF on Headfonia at this stage.
Nobody tells you to buy 2K tubes, that's crazy. You can find good rca gray plates for like $20USD. Acceptable prices for bendix graphite plate tubes are around $300 a pair.
Almost all 6AS7G tubes are good and affordable, even winged russians are more than good
For non tube readers the info on the tubes and replacements is already alot. Sure there are more options, but that's why we have places like here and google. You can't expect people to do go into every possible tube set (or headphone pairing for that matter)

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #11,110 of 11,519

ZMF, see above
I do feel the evo is great, if not I wouldn't have given it our Recommended Award. In fact, of the 3 Euforia's in my collection, the evo is my fav one

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #11,111 of 11,519
Sorry but no ZMF on Headfonia at this stage.
Nobody tells you to buy 2K tubes, that's crazy. You can find good rca gray plates for like $20USD. Acceptable prices for bendix graphite plate tubes are around $300 a pair.
Almost all 6AS7G tubes are good and affordable, even winged russians are more than good
For non tube readers the info on the tubes and replacements is already alot. Sure there are more options, but that's why we have places like here and google. You can't expect people to do go into every possible tube set (or headphone pairing for that matter)
The 6AS7G unfortunately mask the details I noticed when I switched to the 6080 mullard then it was so obvious.
They get better when certain things are changed on the Euforia, then the 6AS7G is legitimate.

I personally understand that you can't have every headphone in the review and this is not a direct attack on my part.
I have noticed it in many reviews from others.
Unfortunately, google search also gets in the way when you are looking for certain things.

That one could theoretically say that a Hd800 works very well ergo zmf also well cannot always be said perse.but yes it does of course.

Nevertheless, we are not in the position to be able to buy such things on a monthly basis or even to be provided with them.
Some save up the money they work hard for up to a certain point and then spend it.
It would be helpful for us if you could make some recommendations/estimates in a separate section of your reports.
As mentioned earlier, you are more likely to have access to such equipment and have a wealth of experience over time.

Of course, one is always happy about such a report if one finds something to read.
I am also pleased that you like the Evo, but the OG is still quite good.
And the interior of the OG has been steadily improved since its release.
There's nothing to stop you buying one when you see one.
Apart from that, Feliks didn't use the full potential of the OG, but it was very good for its time.
You can definitely get more out of the OG if you're willing.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #11,112 of 11,519
6080 WB BENDIX TUBES are mentioned in this review as a nice set of tubes for the Euforia, but at Ebay they cost 2000 US Dollar the pair. Yes I could find a pair of 5998 used tubes, but the elephant in the room is this OTL amp has no real stock of nice power tubes to speak of. You could buy the adapter for the KT88 and lose your warranty. But the way I understand it; we must find a tube builder/ factory so modern, emancipated that he/ she/ otherwise will build a fresh 5998 tube or an equivalent. Maybe?! Perhaps a horse's head between the sheets is an option? (An offer one couldn't refuse).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265664706544?hash=item3ddad9b7f0:g:mQUAAOSwP9ZiaQmJ&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0KxU2QTUNG8G/nhSz90mMRy5mdJ6CRFafSmEgMT0ivjmXqS15FEOhS+JXbDI2YHsa3HjrDAZc/icgClLiOtn3MWmItzrPa4QfwD+Ml0iz3Z5pugyRfrWFzkvwJ/vKkPyqOdOB/ELVArHX61OHftB3v3OnzGgLR6zUD9hib1peF8il4rerYxaPaZpSckECWonxQeHi68/2RPb7gRs0SBia1TUKEYZ5xkWOVk5ZYmcG9k3S/9dw06I4HADvnP5Cg9V/7sz7rnXTVSyKKzbLzeoxmU=|tkp:Bk9SR5qb_qT4YQ

That's not even the good version of the 6080 with the correct graphite plates...

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #11,113 of 11,519
since the otl sounds best with 100+ ohm dynamics, there will be no audible distortion in the case of zmf dynamics either. each zmf headphone is tuned differently, the only question here is which combination gives what you expect.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #11,114 of 11,519
Is it fairly safe to assume no reasonably priced (say under $5K) tube amp is ever going to come "stock" with tubes that really show the full potential of the product in the reviewer's experience with it? I understand rolling tubes is the art that makes the product itself enticing, and on some level everything is your own preference. Even a Ferrari stock can be modified to a higher performance level. It just takes more money. I get it.

Still....there is a certain sense of disappointment with each review that invariably includes commentary that if you spend mega bucks on this "other" set of tubes, it'll sound better. I almost feel like that should be assumed, and left out of a review. Then again, I know some readers like the suggestion as it points them in a direction they appreciate for upgrades.

My own experience reading the review just has me still wondering a bit if the evaluation is true to the product or more what it "can be"?

No right or wrong answer here. I am just musing. Feel free to ignore.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #11,115 of 11,519
Is it fairly safe to assume no reasonably priced (say under $5K) tube amp is ever going to come "stock" with tubes that really show the full potential of the product in the reviewer's experience with it? I understand rolling tubes is the art that makes the product itself enticing, and on some level everything is your own preference. Even a Ferrari stock can be modified to a higher performance level. It just takes more money. I get it.

Still....there is a certain sense of disappointment with each review that invariably includes commentary that if you spend mega bucks on this "other" set of tubes, it'll sound better. I almost feel like that should be assumed, and left out of a review. Then again, I know some readers like the suggestion as it points them in a direction they appreciate for upgrades.

My own experience reading the review just has me still wondering a bit if the evaluation is true to the product or more what it "can be"?

No right or wrong answer here. I am just musing. Feel free to ignore.
The answer to your quandary is very simple. We live in an era where most electronics do not use vacuum tubes any more. Almost all manufacturers of vacuum tubes went out of business a long time ago, and what we are left with is a couple of manufacturers in Russia, China and a few small factories in Europe.
A manufacturer of vacuum tube amplifiers must rely on a large and consistent supply of tubes, which usually means new production tubes, or older tubes that may still be available in large quantities (but this happens less and less).
Often the old tubes from the 30s to the 60s sound better, but the supplies are very limited, and the tube amp manufacturer cannot use these in current production as stated.
As an end user, you only need a couple of tubes, and it is possible to get better sound than what the factory offers as standard equipment.
The manufacturer can offer you a compromise based on what is available in quantity, but the individual can usually obtain a better sound by finding older and more rare tubes. Please bear in mind that higher price is not a guarantee of better sound - you can get great sound from inexpensive, lesser known tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back