Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 14, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #61 of 11,472
They signed mine!

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #62 of 11,472
  They signed mine!

Of course they did. You're The Man
duggehsmile.png

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #63 of 11,472
@pctazhp do you remember the Scorpions?

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #64 of 11,472
I don't understand F-A at all. Such a simple upgrade. How uncooperative of them!!! After all, it's not as if you had asked them to personally sign your ownership certificate :etysmile:

Money usually does talk.Not this time though.:wink:

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #65 of 11,472
  @pctazhp do you remember the Scorpions?

I must confess I don't, but I like them a lot.

I do remember getting stung by them 2 or 3 times, because I always violate Arizona law that strictly prohibits walking around barefooted !!!

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #66 of 11,472
Lmao! Hope you did not hurt them!

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #67 of 11,472

I don't understand F-A at all. Such a simple upgrade. How uncooperative of them!!! After all, it's not as if you had asked them to personally sign your ownership certificate
etysmile.gif

Hi pct...you were joking of course, mon ami?!!! As you know, fully balanced is no mean undertaking...anything else - as Glenn of Glenn amps says (and others lol!) - no point otherwise!
wink_face.gif
...(not to mention some really hi-end stuff still Single-Ended!!
tongue.gif
).

But fear not @aqsw...you will be more than satisfied with her SE status lol!!
darthsmile.gif
...guaranteed!!...
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #68 of 11,472

Hi pct...you were joking of course, mon ami?!!! As you know, fully balanced is no mean undertaking...anything else - as Glenn of Glenn amps says (and others lol!) - no point otherwise!
wink_face.gif
...(not to mention some really hi-end stuff still Single-Ended!!
tongue.gif
).

But fear not @aqsw...you will be more than satisfied with her SE status lol!!
darthsmile.gif
...guaranteed!!...
biggrin.gif

H1. I was certainly joking. I have long believed balanced circuitry in the desktop environment serves no purpose. And I'm aware of Glenn's view on the subject. The balanced cable that came with my HD800S will probably live out its natural life unopened in the box it came in.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #69 of 11,472
H1. I was certainly joking. I have long believed balanced circuitry in the desktop environment serves no purpose. And I'm aware of Glenn's view on the subject. The balanced cable that came with my HD800S will probably live out its natural life unopened in the box it came in. :wink:
(

I only have balanced cables, so I get pigtails made up. 4" long. Balansed to 6.3 cm SE.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #70 of 11,472

H1. I was certainly joking. I have long believed balanced circuitry in the desktop environment serves no purpose. And I'm aware of Glenn's view on the subject. The balanced cable that came with my HD800S will probably live out its natural life unopened in the box it came in.
wink.gif

Thought as much, mon ami...but you nearly had me there lol!
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

(

I only have balanced cables, so I get pigtails made up. 4" long. Balansed to 6.3 cm SE.

Yo aqsw...I hear you re. the HP connection at the amp lol - would indeed be more convenient for those with balanced ends on their cables...but I can understand folks like F-A not believing the extra work/cost being really worthwhile ...especially when precisely the same thing is achieved by the 'pigtails' you mentioned...
biggrin.gif
...(especially when they're good quality ones, which I'm sure is true in your own case!!
darthsmile.gif
...).

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #71 of 11,472
Afternoon's with @hypnos1  or so I have been told

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #73 of 11,472

wink.gif

Thought as much, mon ami...but you nearly had me there lol!
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

(

Yo aqsw...I hear you re. the HP connection at the amp lol - would indeed be more convenient for those with balanced ends on their cables...but I can understand folks like F-A not believing the extra work/cost being really worthwhile ...especially when precisely the same thing is achieved by the 'pigtails' you mentioned...
biggrin.gif
...(especially when they're good quality ones, which I'm sure is true in your own case!!
darthsmile.gif
...).

I do put 4 pin XLR conectors on all my amps now but I don't think there is any improvement in sound. 
Do this because people want it. Maybe it is a better connection?? But I can see it is not worth the hassle for FA and 1/2 the people will never use it.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #75 of 11,472
Right folks, for those who may not have been looking in on the Elise "Impressions" thread, it's time to update on the latest 'alternative' drivers that I have been using exclusively now in the new amp, after successful initial trials in Elise...ie. the EL11 (which requires an adapter).

But first, just a quick word on these 'alternatives' that I and others have been using in Elise for a long while now : although not officially endorsed by F-A, we have always checked with them that these tubes are at least not likely to cause any real damage. But as with any amp, of course, we use them at our own risk, and I personally (along with the more cautious members!) never recommend any tube that I (we) myself (ourselves) haven't tested for many hours, and only if there appears nothing untoward whatsoever. Naturally, nothing can ever be guaranteed over the extreme long period...but I'm quite sure that usually there would be some indication that something isn't quite right long before any major problems arise!

And just why do we veer from stock tubes?...as most folks know, current amp manufacturers are limited with more recently produced tubes, and which are therefore offered as stock. Most find, in fact, that (much) older tubes usually deliver better sound, if not quite so reliable (sometimes lol!).

But after having great success trying different families of tubes in my LittleDot MKIV SE, I experimented (very warily!) with my new Elise and had wonderful results from adapting the excellent C3g...surprisingly so, given the 6SN7 circuit! Even though not configured for this driver, the C3g did in fact outperform all the 6SN7s I personally tried...including several VT231s and the top-tier Sylvania "Chrome Dome" 7N7. Other tubes followed - the 12V FDD20 (using external PS); ECC31; 6N7G; Philips EL3N and now its Telefunken "equivalent", the EL11. Different folks had their own preferences, of course, but most ended up staying with their own 'alternative' tubes. 

These results confounded not only ourselves, but Feliks-Audio too...we were all amazed at the versatility/flexibility of the amp's design...not to mention its very forgiving nature lol!!

As I (and others) have found that the EL11 delivers even 'better' performance (or, rather, appeals to even more folks than the EL3N, which Glenn of Glenn amps is mightily impressed with), I no longer feel the need to stay on the merry-go-round of tube rolling (???!!!)...it seems this tube could have been made specifically for both Elise AND Euforia, and I have in fact sent a pair to F-A for further testing in the hope they might be able to make their own 'approved' adapters for it...

And so, just for now, here's a teaser on how my own tubes look in my prototype Euforia, driving my GEC CV2523s (6AS7G)  -  (I have removed the original EL11 bases and adapted with new 6SN7 ones...)  :

These particular EL11s are '40s Black Glass Valvos, which are actually a bit different to the usual Telefunken design - these are in fact of a Philips design, using their oval plates - as in the EL3N. But in addition, I've been extremely fortunate to stumble across some obviously very rare examples with mesh plates, as opposed to the normal solid. Their sound is somewhere between the Philips EL3N and the TFK EL11...but even better - will give more detail another time. However, the "true" TFK (round plate) sound is still wonderful, along with its E. German brother, the RFT brand. HOWEVER...the usual Valvo; Tungsram; Tesla, Philips MiniWatt EL11s have the oval plates and sound more like the EL3N than the TFK/RFT...AND one member has already (unfortunately) found that a pair of tubes labelled and boxed as Telefunkens were apparently made for TFK by Philips!!...ie with the oval plates, and may possibly therefore not sound quite the same as the "true" TFKs...will update on this later also....

Anyway, here's a lineup of some of my EL3Ns and EL11s :

Plus some nice-looking Black Glass TFK EL11s :

All I can say is...I advise you stock up on these EL11s while you can - I've a feeling they're gonna disappear rather fast alas!...(unless as sometimes happens, new stocks of old tubes suddenly appear as they become more popular...but wouldn't count on it lol!
wink_face.gif
redface.gif
)....CHEERS! for now...time for dinner...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back