Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #7,278 of 11,472
Well, CJ, at least you now know we were not imagining this condition. Very disturbing when it first happens, to say the least. I tried some tube rolling last night, tried the KT66 powers and 7581a's as drivers, and I must say that is also a very good combo. But (isn't there always one!) what I am finding this morning is the KT66 powers and Gold Aero 6sn7GT as drivers is much better, maybe even better than my quad of KT66's. BlasphemyI know, but I get much more signal (lowered the volume a quarter on the Euforia and backed off the volume on the Anthem -3db. Vocals and mids are so much improved over what I was hearing with the KT66 quad. Will continue with these for awhile longer, a few more hours anyways, shut down and retry and see if I am still hearing this. Then may try some of the other 6sn7's and see if it is just the Gold Aero or if it is the type of tube. Confused. But remembering back, I always did like the Gold Aero 6sn7 gt and the Gold Aero 5998A together so maybe not so strange.

20191115_112701.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #7,279 of 11,472
New ballgame, new players - now you have to dusty off old tubes and figure out new synergistic combinations. And watch out for the schizophrenic tendencies of the 88.......
Does it ever end?
I do want to add that I have discovered (together with others) that using pairs of the single triode equivalents of the dual 6SN7 family tubes yields better results than using a dual triode.
In the case of the FA amps it would mean two pairs of triodes in the 6SN7 sockets and I don't know if this works in the FA amps, but in my case, with a single dual triode driver socket, it works very well.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #7,280 of 11,472
What makes you think they are not delivered by the Queen? Perhaps if you opt for second day service, they will be delivered by your new princess from the U.S. tv show.!
Well I've had a look into this, the Queen does the first class and Prince Charles does the second class, now I know why it's called Royal Mail :ksc75smile:

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #7,281 of 11,472
Blimey h1, that must have been a bit of a choker to say the least!, these KT's really do love to throw us a curve ball!, but also good to hear they've come back, I guess like O and CF and myself you are now forewarned is forearmed!.

And regarding you're EL39, I knew you'd like x2 88's, so with you're EL39 h1, is it a case of "the king is dead, long live the king"?.

ps great pic!

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #7,282 of 11,472
2nd day here and around 15 hours. For me the 2nd day test is very important, not once I've had the unpleasant suprise to observe in the 2nd day that a combo was worse than what I heard on the first day or at least different. I always thought this is a kind of brain game, and after a pause you expect something different or remember what you heard last evening in a different way.
Anyway, with a little fear in my mind, I started today again the same combination. And voila, everything is fine and sounds good. So no ugly surprise in the 2nd day as I was fearing.

TS7581-AKT66.jpg

I can say that this combination is incredible for rock music, sounds good with every type of guitar, electric or not, has some very special mids and it is very dynamic. I can say this combination exceeded by far my expectations and I guess I am only at the beginning of my journey here.
I take the burn in times of your tubes with a "grain of salt" because yours were pre-burned in at Hot Rox (or how it is named that shop in UK where some of the guys here bought them). So most probably, mine, which seem to be new, need more time to reach the same maturity.
But the burn in process is a pleasure, because I enjoy every minute without having any problem. I start to wonder what I will do with my tube collection... because if these continue to evolve it is hard to think if I will want other combo.
I have not checked gain factor or other parameters, but I keep Elise's volume knob with 2 lines above the usual listening level for 6SN7/6AS7... but this is not a problem.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #7,283 of 11,472
Well, CJ, at least you now know we were not imagining this condition. Very disturbing when it first happens, to say the least. I tried some tube rolling last night, tried the KT66 powers and 7581a's as drivers, and I must say that is also a very good combo. But (isn't there always one!) what I am finding this morning is the KT66 powers and Gold Aero 6sn7GT as drivers is much better, maybe even better than my quad of KT66's. BlasphemyI know, but I get much more signal (lowered the volume a quarter on the Euforia and backed off the volume on the Anthem -3db. Vocals and mids are so much improved over what I was hearing with the KT66 quad. Will continue with these for awhile longer, a few more hours anyways, shut down and retry and see if I am still hearing this. Then may try some of the other 6sn7's and see if it is just the Gold Aero or if it is the type of tube. Confused. But remembering back, I always did like the Gold Aero 6sn7 gt and the Gold Aero 5998A together so maybe not so strange.

Hi cf...looks like you're in for a good deal of experimentation with these combos, not to mention confusion and consternation lol! :wink: But as always, this game of ours can take many twists and turns before we find what suits us best...for now!! :ksc75smile: Things have a (nasty) habit of changing over time, but some say that's part of the allure of this tube world of ours...(me, I call it frustration lol!! :confounded:). Whatever, good luck with finding what suits best...and who knows, everything could possibly change when you get those KT88s driven by the 66s...or not! :ksc75smile:...CJ

New ballgame, new players - now you have to dusty off old tubes and figure out new synergistic combinations. And watch out for the schizophrenic tendencies of the 88.......
Does it ever end?
I do want to add that I have discovered (together with others) that using pairs of the single triode equivalents of the dual 6SN7 family tubes yields better results than using a dual triode.
In the case of the FA amps it would mean two pairs of triodes in the 6SN7 sockets and I don't know if this works in the FA amps, but in my case, with a single dual triode driver socket, it works very well.

Hi m. Yes indeed, even more opportunities for experimental combinations...(as if we needed any more lol!! :wink:).
And I suspect any 'anomalies' re. the KT88 are more likely over time when being pushed much harder than in our amps?...:fingers_crossed::dt880smile:

Many folks do indeed rate single triodes over doubles...which makes a lot of sense really. Hence my preference for tubes that have only one plate (anode) living inside the tube - like the pentodes and now the tetrodes...especially the KTs (Kink-less Tetrodes!). But I shall leave that to others...certainly no 3rd party double adapters for me, anyway!! :wink:...CJ

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #7,284 of 11,472
Blimey h1, that must have been a bit of a choker to say the least!, these KT's really do love to throw us a curve ball!, but also good to hear they've come back, I guess like O and CF and myself you are now forewarned is forearmed!.

And regarding you're EL39, I knew you'd like x2 88's, so with you're EL39 h1, is it a case of "the king is dead, long live the king"?.

ps great pic!

Yo S...a curved ball indeed, but it definitely looks like a case of 'getting worse before getting better' lol!! :wink:

Anyway folks, with about 28 hrs (including 2x 1 hr breaks) on my second KT88 now - and well over 100 on the first and even more on the KT66 drivers - I do indeed have to mourn the passing of King EL39 alas.

In my own system, I'm now finding - as it would appear are you also, Scutey - that this KT66/KT88 combo work together 'to the manor born'. In addition to those superlative qualities we have already touched on - ie. re. bass/details/clarity/balance/stage etc., after more extensive testing of my favourite tracks I can safely report that in many other respects also it romps ahead of anything else prior...viz :

1. Note sustain and decay is taken to a whole new level...most impressive being 'splash'-type treble, of all kinds.

2. Female vocals especially have a lot more texture and subtlety, from the softer Mary Fahl in 'Goin' Home' from 'Gods and Generals', thru Joni Mitchell's 'A case of You', to a rather more 'upbeat' Lindsey Stirling's 'When the Stars Align' (did I say subtle?!!). Actually, the last number is more a showcase for the tube combo's very impressive soundstage.

3. Related to stage presentation, I was taken aback this afternoon by Alan Parson's masterly use of panning in tracks from his 'The Turn of a Friendly Card'. I have always loved the 'roll around your head' effect in 'The Gold Bug', but this was a truly psychedelic experience like never before. This ability alone is enough to have me addicted to this tube combo for life lol! :)

4. The dynamic, bass-infused presentation never at any time overpowers the rest of the frequency range, or diminishes the extended tones/harmonics of the (IMHO) ultimate equipment test - ie. struck/plucked/bowed strings of acoustic instruments ...everything remains under tight, coherent, effortless and masterful control. In other words, everything just feels right, leaving one (me, anyway) wanting for nothing...

Naturally, the rest of one's gear will influence the degree of these qualities, but for me personally, the end result is now one that means I have no desire whatsoever to continue on the merry-go-round of trying anything else...not even @DecentLevi , any of those other KT versions (or different members of the 6L6 family). Especially given the generally held view that the Genalex Gold Lion KTs are not too far off the (horrendously priced) originals...and which is certainly good enough for me lol :ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

ps. DL...It appears none of these reissue manufacture of old tubes were 'offshoots' of the original companies...when they were gone, they were gone alas! Machinery was sold off, along with designs, specifications etc. to the likes of Mike Matthews of Electro-Harmonix and his New Sensor Corporation...and may the Gods bless him!! :L3000:

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #7,285 of 11,472
I like a lot what I read here, and I start to think that 4 adapters are not enough for me. When I ordered them the plan was to use 4 x TS 7581A and now I have also KT66 and KT88 on the way. I do not like to remove adapters from the tubes, but in order to try the KT88 I will be forced to do so. Anyone thinks to try the KT150? I've read some good things about them so I am just curious.

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #7,286 of 11,472
2nd day here and around 15 hours. For me the 2nd day test is very important, not once I've had the unpleasant suprise to observe in the 2nd day that a combo was worse than what I heard on the first day or at least different. I always thought this is a kind of brain game, and after a pause you expect something different or remember what you heard last evening in a different way.
Anyway, with a little fear in my mind, I started today again the same combination. And voila, everything is fine and sounds good. So no ugly surprise in the 2nd day as I was fearing.

TS7581-AKT66.jpg

I can say that this combination is incredible for rock music, sounds good with every type of guitar, electric or not, has some very special mids and it is very dynamic. I can say this combination exceeded by far my expectations and I guess I am only at the beginning of my journey here.
I take the burn in times of your tubes with a "grain of salt" because yours were pre-burned in at Hot Rox (or how it is named that shop in UK where some of the guys here bought them). So most probably, mine, which seem to be new, need more time to reach the same maturity.
But the burn in process is a pleasure, because I enjoy every minute without having any problem. I start to wonder what I will do with my tube collection... because if these continue to evolve it is hard to think if I will want other combo.
I have not checked gain factor or other parameters, but I keep Elise's volume knob with 2 lines above the usual listening level for 6SN7/6AS7... but this is not a problem.

Hi OH...your 'conversion' is music to my heart and soul lol. I'm so glad you're enjoying the special qualities of these tubes. And "want no other combo"?...just wait 'til you hear the KT88s driven by the KT66! But then, nothing is ever 100% guaranteed in this hobby of ours!! (But I shall keep my fingers crossed :wink::beyersmile:...GOOD LUCK!).

And yes, burn-in times will definitely vary depending on any pre burn-in or not...it could well be that my own 'hiccough' with my KT88s was down to none, as opposed to the 66s. But one thing's for sure, it's nowhere near as long as the 7581As!! :astonished:...CJ

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #7,287 of 11,472
I like a lot what I read here, and I start to think that 4 adapters are not enough for me. When I ordered them the plan was to use 4 x TS 7581A and now I have also KT66 and KT88 on the way. I do not like to remove adapters from the tubes, but in order to try the KT88 I will be forced to do so. Anyone thinks to try the KT150? I've read some good things about them so I am just curious.

I too like the look of the KT150 and what some say about it. But at the price of them, I personally won't be taking the chance that they just might not perform in our amps quite the same as when properly configured for (but I could well be wrong, of course!). Also, @connieflyer linked me a post from an obviously avid fan of the KT family, whose final words were actually recommending to stay with the KT88 if not wanting to push the KT150 anywhere near its full potential. Now, if some used examples were to appear at a reasonable price I could just be tempted...but as with all the other KTs, none (reissue, that is) ever seem to do so...(which says a lot to me, anyway lol! :wink:).

ps. 150s OH?...my, but you could be catching this bug BIG time!! :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #7,288 of 11,472
I too like the look of the KT150 and what some say about it. But at the price of them, I personally won't be taking the chance that they just might not perform in our amps quite the same as when properly configured for (but I could well be wrong, of course!). Also, @connieflyer linked me a post from an obviously avid fan of the KT family, whose final words were actually recommending to stay with the KT88 if not wanting to push the KT150 anywhere near its full potential. Now, if some used examples were to appear at a reasonable price I could just be tempted...but as with all the other KTs, none (reissue, that is) ever seem to do so...(which says a lot to me, anyway lol! :wink:).

ps. 150s OH?...my, but you could be catching this bug BIG time!! :L3000:

Well, I was just asking. I would say I need time to properly enjoy these ones. I really like what I hear from KT66 + 7581A. If KT88 will add more to the table why not. But to buy also the KT150 which are available here locally at around 100 EUR / piece I guess it is too much. It means I have to spend 200 EUR when I already have so many combos to try and enjoy. I would say no, or at least not now, but in the future why not? I have to admit I like how they look, but this is a very non professional criterion. We will see, please continue to share your findings, your work and dedication is very much appreciated.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #7,289 of 11,472
@Johnnysound Have you gotten to compare your KT-150's to KT66 or 88? And how are they suiting you sonically, and temperature wise?

Not yet DL..only to KT77s. The 150s ran nicely in Euforia and I liked their sound as triodes more than as pentodes in my PA: quick, detailed top to bottom, very dynamic and with powerful bass, they are really BIG sounding tubes ! No issues with temperatures...they draw 2 amps max. However, I ended preferring the KT77s which are equally detailed but smoother sounding, with a lovely midrange, more “organic” and musical overall...and they worked nicely as drivers or powers.

Still waiting for another pair of adaptors to test them as a quad. The Genalex 77s are regarded (and praised) as perhaps the finest reproduction of the GEC originals...like an EL34 on steroids, with none of the shortcomings of that classic tube, but sharing its virtues. I had to admit that they sounded better than old stock EL34s in my PA...and this is saying something. You know, for me the first “new” tube that managed to capture the “magic” of the oldies...

In this same line, the GL KT66s and KT88s are also highly regarded reproductions, but different families, and undoubtedly they will sound different to the KT77s. By my experience with the (Tung-Sol) KT150s I do not feel the need to try the GL KT88s that might be similar, and the sheer authority and bass of the “big boys” are hard to beat...still, soundwise the KT66s look really interesting for being even better (according to some impressions) to the 7581As, specially in terms of transparency, that I value the most...

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #7,290 of 11,472

TS7581-AKT66.jpg

As a fellow Elise owner I appreciate your findings, @OctavianH. I just completed a very time consuming endeavor related to my profession, and am a bit behind all of you "high rollers." :ksc75smile:Still burning in my Tung Sol 7581A'a in the power position driven by Tung Sol 6SN7GTB's, perhaps 100 hours on the 7581A's. Quite a lot to like with this current combo., and I also have a pair of NOS Sylvania 1952 6SN7GT's arriving next week. Depending upon the results with those "bad boys" driving the 7581A's, I'll likely order 2 more adapters from Deyan and switch the 7581A's into the driver's seat. I listen to more classical and acoustic music (just a smattering of classic rock) and am still debating if I follow your route with KT66 powers or bypass that step straight to KT88's. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back