Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #6,871 of 11,472
I think it's a silly name. I have a bunch of these 6N7G and they do sound beautiful but IMO, the EL11 and EL3N and EL32 as strapped triodes sound better - in Elise, Euforia and now my GOTL.

These are the 6N7G I have:-

Mullard ECC31
Mazda 6N7G
Fivre brown base grey glass 6N7G
Fivre clear glass black base 6N7G
Visseaux 6N7G - is with my mate Don in US of A.
Philco 6N7G
Some other generic 6N7G - can't remember the names now.

Thanks, @UntilThen. Tried EL32 as drivers into TS 5998 powers and and wasn't floored...a bit flat and "characterless" although quiet and clean sounding. Are the EL11 / EL3N substantially different?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #6,872 of 11,472
Thanks, @UntilThen. Tried EL32 as drivers into TS 5998 powers and and wasn't floored...a bit flat and "characterless" although quiet and clean sounding. Are the EL11 / EL3N substantially different?

Mullard EL32 is more relax, the midrange is a bit pushed back but you get an enveloping 3D sound which I like. It's not so in your face so to speak.

Telefunken EL11 has more gain, is brighter, airier and with a good doze of details and clarity. I really like it. Philips Miniwatt EL3N are almost identical - well almost is a wrong word because I hear them quite differently. EL3N is warmer, less treble extension and sweetness, less details and clarity. It's a matter of preference. I'm more of a details person - well I have it balanced out in my setup with the slightly warmer Verite and a neutral sounding Yggdrasil.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #6,873 of 11,472
Yes C, I spend about AUD$700 on the weekend on a power conditioner (similar to Isotek Polaris), Isotek Premier power cord and some USA power cords terminated with Australian plugs, Curious RCA interconnects and Chord RCA interconnects and the difference is amazing. Where I was once a sceptic of these snake oil, I'm now a believer. I might buy a power station next. :yum:

Glad you're finally another convert to good mains conditioning/filtering and cables/plugs...have been peddling this for a long while now lol! :wink::ksc75smile:...CHEERS! and g'night all...CJ

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #6,874 of 11,472
Glad you're finally another convert to good mains conditioning/filtering and cables/plugs...have been peddling this for a long while now lol! :wink::ksc75smile:...CHEERS! and g'night all...CJ

Don't forget to get a power station next C. :) On the serious side, I might look into a PS Audio PerfectWave P10 Power Plant but I need to win the lottery for that at $5,500.:smile_phones:

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #6,875 of 11,472
20191009_163620[645].jpg
Yep me too, mine arrived today, using the h1 temporary method with wire, thought I'd try them on my Elise first before moving on to Euforia, just in case there were any fireworks!, anyway so far 4 hours and counting, and no problems :ksc75smile:.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #6,879 of 11,472
Hi UT, still have the metal tube RCA 6n7 tubes as well. Still never tried them. Liked the Visseaux so did not even try them. I had a half dozen of the KR VT96 which is the US Army designation for them metal tube 6sn7 tubes and had used them as well. Also tried the VT52's. I agree with you on the El 11 tubes, though. Just kind of fun to go back over some of the older combo's from the "good old days"!

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #6,880 of 11,472
I think I have 6 of those unless yours are the special ones. Let us know how it sounds once it settles in with some hours.
I have a few myself, an underrated tube, mine are the early 50's Foton ribbed anode, recommended to me by mordy last year, and I will let you know how they sound after settling in a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #6,881 of 11,472
Hi UT, still have the metal tube RCA 6n7 tubes as well. Still never tried them. Liked the Visseaux so did not even try them. I had a half dozen of the KR VT96 which is the US Army designation for them metal tube 6sn7 tubes and had used them as well. Also tried the VT52's. I agree with you on the El 11 tubes, though. Just kind of fun to go back over some of the older combo's from the "good old days"!

I have a pair of Marconi 6N7 but i'm not loving them. Just too clinical for my ears. The Visseaux and Mazda 6N7G are much better texture, 3D sound and luxurious vocals. Yes it's fun to revisit your old tubes sometimes. :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #6,882 of 11,472
I have a few myself, an underrated tube, mine are the early 50's Foton ribbed anode, recommended to me by mordy last year, and I will let you know how they sound after settling in a bit.

Yup that's what I have 6 of them. Fotons 6N8S or also known as 6H8C. Too many drivers hence I don't use it much. Might pull out a pair to try on the WA22.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #6,883 of 11,472
I had my pair of h8c tubes in a couple of weeks ago oh, I remember when they were starting to be a rage on the Elise thread. It's a nice sounding tube. The Marconi's were good tubes also the dark glass ones at least and the VT 52 and of course if you're going to swap them and you might as well try all your various and Sundry 6s N7 tubes as well. When I sold my Elise I sold all the tubes that I had collected so far at that point with it, from what I read on the new app I was going to try just running all 6ns 7 tubes that we've collected.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #6,884 of 11,472
(And the same is now true of the TS 7581A, I'm glad to say! :smile_phones:).

It's very interesting that an amp using 7581 tubes is about to be born (TU-8800), that will also allow the use of 6V6, EL34, 6L6, 5881, KT66, KT77, KT120, KT150, 6550. I could be interested in such an amp to play around with these various tube types. Just when I'm about to retire from Head-Fi, along comes another wonderful toy. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ele...eaker-amp-review.722633/page-70#post-15238257

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #6,885 of 11,472

Yep me too, mine arrived today, using the h1 temporary method with wire, thought I'd try them on my Elise first before moving on to Euforia, just in case there were any fireworks!, anyway so far 4 hours and counting, and no problems :ksc75smile:.

Well done to you too S...am really looking forward to seeing how these 7581As perform in other systems - both in Euforia and Elise...:jecklinsmile::smile_phones:

ps. I notice one of your tubes is also a mini leaning Tower of Pisa...like a couple of mine. Ordinarily I wouldn't be very impressed with tubes that haven't been constructed more carefully, but they sound great nonetheless...which is what all that counts, really! :wink:

pps.................... UPDATE ON THE 7581A AS DRIVER........

Actually folks, as drivers to the same powers, this tube is beginning to have me tear out what little is left of my hair lol! :triportsad:...

With about 15hrs on the second and over 50 on the first, this morning I was ready to call an early halt, which is something I rarely do. After this sort of time, I can usually get a fair idea of a tube's potential at least. But what I was hearing didn't have me holding out much hope alas! However, just another 5 hours later and things were, unbelievably, much better... easily approaching the PsVanes in fact. And so I shall indeed now give them a good few more hours in the hope they will shine even more...the 'flabby', poor detail bass having improved the most (as if by magic!!). All I want now is for the stage to become more open/3-dimensional, and tonal range be a bit better, and this could well be a serious contender in the driving seat...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...so, fingers crossed...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back