Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 22, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #6,406 of 11,472
Just a quick update, CJ, I own the Sennheiser 800 not the 800s. D800 is a pure sound without that little resonator in the earpiece. As far as how they sound, they are fantastic. Moving to the e l 39 has a power tube brought the bass out in these like I have never heard before. The base was always good if there was based present it showed it it just wasn't that pounding type of bass that you get with some of the other phones. A lot of people thought it was weak I just thought it was right. With the various El tubes it has continued to improve in the base Department I'm moving to the Dario he'll 38 and the e l 39 the base is very much not only present but more impactful and quantity wise seems to be increase as well. Soundstage is still magnificent upper frequencies are beautiful. Orchestral works for these phones like they were made for each other. Hope that helps the member with a little more info using the Euforia

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #6,407 of 11,472
Just a quick update, CJ, I own the Sennheiser 800 not the 800s. D800 is a pure sound without that little resonator in the earpiece. As far as how they sound, they are fantastic. Moving to the e l 39 has a power tube brought the bass out in these like I have never heard before. The base was always good if there was based present it showed it it just wasn't that pounding type of bass that you get with some of the other phones. A lot of people thought it was weak I just thought it was right. With the various El tubes it has continued to improve in the base Department I'm moving to the Dario he'll 38 and the e l 39 the base is very much not only present but more impactful and quantity wise seems to be increase as well. Soundstage is still magnificent upper frequencies are beautiful. Orchestral works for these phones like they were made for each other. Hope that helps the member with a little more info using the Euforia

Oops sorry...yes, cf, the 800 (v1) for you. Wasn't it dear departed Phil (pctazhp) who had the S? I wonder how the retuned v2 would fare with the enhanced bass of the EL38/39...perhaps a tad OTT lol? All I can say is I agree wholeheartedly that v1 and Euforia make excellent partners...BFN...CJ

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #6,408 of 11,472
Yes CJ oh, it was Phil that had the 800s. Still miss that old guy, the three of us certainly had some good times in the early days did we not?

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #6,409 of 11,472
Hello. Sorry my English. Im german. I have now Euforia and a HD800s. Im in burn in.. Im not so happy with the soundsatage. What for after market tubes should i get for: Big soundstage with same detail, neutral level in the stock tubes. Where can i buy them? For me the soundstae is ab bit narrow. With my Brysteon BHA 1 the sund stage was a bit opener. Perhaps you can help me about after market tubes for Euforia. ( Driver or and power tubes ) Perhaps i can less the driver tubes and change the power tubes? The problem is the narrow sound stage with stock tubes because i heard the HD800s more open and wide. I have a cardas clear cord for HD800s.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #6,410 of 11,472
@andybo I recommend EL12 + EL11. RFT or Telefunken EL12, or Valvo EL12 for slightly darker and larger soundstage. RFT or Telefunken EL11, unless you get real lucky and find a Valvo. These should be cheaper and easy to find, have good soundstage and detail, and bass. You'd just need 4 of these EL11 adapters mentioned recently. If you can also find an EL12 Spez that would do great to roll a variety of sound, as this is a slightly brighter, more detailed tube with more realistic presentation - though this needs this EL12 Spez adapter. If going this route I recommend ordering the adapters first thing because they are on a slow route from Hong Kong. It's generally accepted the EL11, 32, 38, etc. are superior on these amps as drivers in quite a few ways than 6SN7 such as in imaging and dynamics, etc. I'm not sure I recommend the tonality of EL38 would match the HD800's, both being modestly euphonic and even mid-emphasized.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6,411 of 11,472
Hi t...there certainly do seem to be quite a few different bottles used for the EL11, as well as internal coatings. All have the same 'flavour', but there are subtle (and noticeable) differences between them...eg. the black glass TFK vs its sister TFK that looks exactly like - and sounds more like - the East German RFT tube (as mentioned recently by @Johnnysound . The same goes for the Valvos...eg. once again the black glass (which I myself prefer) vs the grey glass. I don't know about your new larger bottle tube - which you got for a steal, to be sure lol!! - but it looks just like the one used for my Philips (Australia) EL3NG that also has the (woven) mesh plate of my Valvo EL11 and black internal coating...and sounds identical...(have you checked the plate in your new tube lol?!! :wink:).

Yikes t...don't say these 2 adapters are faulty also! Must admit I'm always sad to hear of such things when folks have to (of necessity) rely on Chinese adapters...even though they seem to perform OK in most instances. Such is the possible downside of my alternative tube adapting alas :triportsad:. Sometimes it appears such humming can subside with longer use...might be worth giving it a try. If worst comes to worst, once things quieten down somewhat with the approach of Autumn, I hope to be returning to making a few adapters for those in need lol :wink:. Good luck in the meantime, mon ami...CJ

Thanks for the advice. its weird i only seem to have problem with their EL12-6sn7 adapters. I have 4 other adapters for different tubes and they all work fine, but 4 of these and none of them have worked properly. I'll try to summon the energy/ patience to go through another returns process but the good news is the converted valvos you supplied me are sill going strong and despite one being initially temperamental they've been running with zero noise other than the sonic loveliness they send to my Stellias. Of course i would love a pair of patented CJ boutique range adapters but only if they ever become available on open market, but only ever at the makers leisure :wink: :):)

thank you also for reassurance @mordy and sorry if i've reduced the thread to sounding like a teenage boys problem page... i'll put it away and stop worrying about its size and shape :wink:

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #6,412 of 11,472
@teknorob23 I would usually not attribute a hum problem to the adapter at all. As long as there is some (even distorted) sound coming out of both tubes, that may mean the wiring actually is right. Here are a few other things you can do to possibly cure the hum:

- Use a fine knife or sandpaper or even rubbing alcohol to clean or scrape off any corrosion on the tube pins
- Touch the RCA connection on the back of the amp directly with your finger with no music playing. If the hum stops, you need to find a way to ground your amp either with a wire around this or from the ground wire of the power cable
- Rotate your tubes R to L or L to R. Especially since these are EL tubes you can actually run them as drivers or powers. So see if switching them from front/back fixes the hum. The only downside here is if using EL12 as drivers you should stick only with EL series tubes as powers (EL11, 12, 32, 38, etc. powers with these) otherwise with a 6080 or 6AS7 could overlead the transformer.
- If you're receiving hum with any of the tubes requiring an external wire such as EL32, EL12 Spez, EL38 and EL39, the reason is highly likely to be solved with a clamp on the external wire. I have several of these, called either a ferrite chocke or ferrite bead which solves the hum using these as powers; but they don't need it as drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #6,413 of 11,472
Hello,

Well it's good to see new comers on this thread and to the Euforia's realm.
On my side, I'm at the farewell stage, as I'm afraid I'm leaving this realm : I had the opportunity to try another tube-amp a couple of weeks ago (playing in another league), and got totally hooked by it.

So, I'm selling my Euforia and the collection of tubes I bought for it this last year.
Before putting everything on e-bay, if some of the forumers here are interested by some of the below for a very fair price, please PM me.
TS 5998 & 7236, GEC 2523, KenRad VT231 & VT99, Sylvania 6SN7GTB, RCA 5692 & VT231 & 7N7, Telefunken EL12Spez & EL11, Haltron/Mullard EL38, Mullard EL32...

I wished to thank everybody here, and more especially @hypnos1 for his enthusiasm on this thread, his trials and discoveries, and the nice tube adapters he built for some of us.

Cheers, and see you around.

Erwan.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #6,414 of 11,472
@ZRW0 By all means please tell us which amp impressed you more. I've been a little guilty of de-railing things here from time to time, and we'll try not bite you (not too hard) LOL. It would be interesting to know. If you can't at all get yourself to post it here, you can send it to me by PM. Thanks and best of luck

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #6,415 of 11,472
@ZRW0 By all means please tell us which amp impressed you more. I've been a little guilty of de-railing things here from time to time, and we'll try not bite you (not too hard) LOL. It would be interesting to know. If you can't at all get yourself to post it here, you can send it to me by PM. Thanks and best of luck

Italian name, but Dutch brand.
From one of your post, you tried the same at a recent CanJam... :gs1000smile:

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #6,416 of 11,472
So as not to disrupt the thread with talk about other amplifiers let's try to keep it here about a Euforia with all the hard work that CJ has put into this thread it would be nice to respect him and his work on this to keep it within the bounds of what the title of this thread is. Just saying guys

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #6,417 of 11,472
Hi t...there certainly do seem to be quite a few different bottles used for the EL11, as well as internal coatings. All have the same 'flavour', but there are subtle (and noticeable) differences between them...eg. the black glass TFK vs its sister TFK that looks exactly like - and sounds more like - the East German RFT tube (as mentioned recently by @Johnnysound . The same goes for the Valvos...eg. once again the black glass (which I myself prefer) vs the grey glass. I don't know about your new larger bottle tube - which you got for a steal, to be sure lol!! - but it looks just like the one used for my Philips (Australia) EL3NG that also has the (woven) mesh plate of my Valvo EL11 and black internal coating...and sounds identical...(have you checked the plate in your new tube lol?!! :wink:).

Yikes t...don't say these 2 adapters are faulty also! Must admit I'm always sad to hear of such things when folks have to (of necessity) rely on Chinese adapters...even though they seem to perform OK in most instances. Such is the possible downside of my alternative tube adapting alas :triportsad:. Sometimes it appears such humming can subside with longer use...might be worth giving it a try. If worst comes to worst, once things quieten down somewhat with the approach of Autumn, I hope to be returning to making a few adapters for those in need lol :wink:. Good luck in the meantime, mon ami...CJ

You don't always have to rely on Chinese adapters. I'm building custom adapters and I'm from Europe :p

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #6,418 of 11,472
Hi @andybo ...Stage should also continue to open up with much more burn-in yet - give it 100+hours at least. Then, I personally would replace the stock power tubes with EL38s first...far superior IMHO! I'm still in the process of sorting and testing some of my spare tubes for others, but may well be able to help you out there also...don't want folks paying the £40 plus amounts often asked for if at all possible (ie.for the later, totally clear glass Mullards, including their CV450. But the earlier silver banded Philips (France) versions command higher prices because they are in fact a good bit better overall, especially in the bass). Then, perhaps, drivers also from the EL family could be worth looking into...they partner EL power tubes extremely well. But no rush, take your time!! :wink:

@ZRW0 ...sorry to hear you're leaving us, and thanks for your kind words. Good luck with your pastures new...and hope you find a community as friendly and helpful as ours lol! :ksc75smile:

@Deyan ...nice to see someone else in the market besides the Chinese making adapters. Perhaps you could send us photos of your own, along with approximate costs (including shipping to various destinations) for such as an EL11/12, and also the EL38 to 6SN7/6AS7G adapter. As each individual driver and power tube socket is wired in parallel, either of the g, K and a pins of the 6SN7 base can be used.
ps. What type of wire do you use, please?

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #6,419 of 11,472
@hypnos1 Well I haven't made any of adapters you mentioned ( because no one asked me to ).
But nevertheless here are some samples of my work:
EL3 to C3g adapters
IMG_20190708_230331.jpg
IMG_20190708_230338.jpg

Dual 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter ( the base on those adapters can rotate )
IMG_20190706_151126.jpg

IMG_20190706_151132.jpg

6V6 to C3g adapter
IMG_20190714_193418.jpg

6SN7 to 6DE7 adapter ( with a bias adjusting circuit for Woo WA6SE )
IMG_20190725_232635.jpg

One of my most complicated ones. A dual EF50 to 6N3P with a separate power supply for the filament ( since the amp was rather dinky )
IMG_20190403_205309.jpg

There are more but I those are enough for the time being.
About the wiring I normally use copper. But the buyer has the final say on that.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #6,420 of 11,472
@teknorob23 I would usually not attribute a hum problem to the adapter at all. As long as there is some (even distorted) sound coming out of both tubes, that may mean the wiring actually is right. Here are a few other things you can do to possibly cure the hum:

- Use a fine knife or sandpaper or even rubbing alcohol to clean or scrape off any corrosion on the tube pins
- Touch the RCA connection on the back of the amp directly with your finger with no music playing. If the hum stops, you need to find a way to ground your amp either with a wire around this or from the ground wire of the power cable
- Rotate your tubes R to L or L to R. Especially since these are EL tubes you can actually run them as drivers or powers. So see if switching them from front/back fixes the hum. The only downside here is if using EL12 as drivers you should stick only with EL series tubes as powers (EL11, 12, 32, 38, etc. powers with these) otherwise with a 6080 or 6AS7 could overlead the transformer.
- If you're receiving hum with any of the tubes requiring an external wire such as EL32, EL12 Spez, EL38 and EL39, the reason is highly likely to be solved with a clamp on the external wire. I have several of these, called either a ferrite chocke or ferrite bead which solves the hum using these as powers; but they don't need it as drivers.

Sorry for not coming back to thank you, but that annoying thing we call work has been getting in the way of the important things in life this week. I had tried the L R rotating and they're both creating the hum on both sides. i have tried 3 different sets of tubes and the adapters work fine/silently with the EL12Ns, but i get and identical humming with EL11 Valvo and the phillips el11 mini-watts. This seems bizarre but i'm guessing i'm missing something

I havent tried running them in the power sockets, or checked the rca's for earth issues, but i'm guess the later is eliminated as a possible issue by the fact that the EL12ns/adpaters dont have the issue. I will try this tonight anway to just to double check.

thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back