Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 28, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #4,891 of 11,472
Just a quickie this time...:wink:

@ZRW0 ...you mentioned having problems with the EL12 Spezials. Unfortunately, most other folks also found the same thing with these stellar tubes, and which was cured most easily by attaching very small ferrite chokes (or just one even may work) over the wire from adapter to top cap. I myself never had such problems with adapting my own tubes, but this is a downside of others having to rely on Chinese made adapters alas! The EL32 doesn't suffer the same problems, as the top cap is for signal grid as opposed to the high voltage anode in the Spezial...the latter therefore needing extra care if going anywhere near while on!!! The Spezial, as @Johnnysound mentioned, is best used only as power tube IMHO...

Hope you're still enjoying your trials of different combos...but please remember that all need to be lived with for quite a long while before one gets a proper feel for their sound...ears and brain also need plenty of burn-in to become accustomed to these different sounds lol! :ksc75smile:...and as said many times before, this applies especially to triode-strapped pentodes, such as the EL family....HAPPY LISTENING!...

Oct 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #4,892 of 11,472
Hi guys...just another quickie.

As y'all know well by now, since days long past with my love affair with the C3g tube, I have been drawn inexorably to the use of pentodes (triode-strapped), more so than any other tubes. Perhaps it's just that they appeal to certain tastes/equipment setups - as is a universal truth anyway, concerning 'hi-fi' - but the more I research past keen DIYers' notes on their projects, the more I begin to understand my own predilection lol!
There appears to be quite a large camp that, in the words of one such afficionado, "can't understand the hysteria for triodes"!! This may well be underestimating triodes' abilities, but I'm sure contains an element of truth. I suppose this could also explain the choice of EL34 pentodes for use in the much admired hi-end 'Blue Hawaii' amp!
Availability of a vast range of triodes must play a large part in modern amps' use...and is the very reason I suggested them to Feliks-Audio in the first place, knowing they would probably have thought EL tubes not a viable proposition, unfortunately...:triportsad:

Ah well, I console myself that luckily - and to my great relief! - Elise and Euforia can in fact make said 'interlopers' shine wonderfully, even though not specifically configured for them...ie. the best of both worlds! :L3000:...WELL DONE F-A!!...

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #4,893 of 11,472
Hello Guys,

@Johnnysound

Thanks for the advice.
I already tried the EL32/VT52/CV1052 family just as drivers, but have never been convinced by the pairing with 6080/6AS7 family so far.
Now I may not have waited enough regarding the CV1052 burn-in

@hypnos1

Thanks for the hint regarding the ferrites with the EL12Spez, I'll give it a try.

On my side, I've been sticking a bit (actually a lot) on this combo that fully satisfies me at the moment: the 75 years old Ken-Rad VT231 (still) and the Tung-Sol 7236
DSC_0048.JPG s

My whole system is transfigured with this combo, both headphones and speaker sessions, with the Euforia connected to my McIntosh amp for the speaker sessions.
Many things are revealed, bass and low-meds are quite deep, hi-meds and trebble are fully textured, and I surprised myself to keep the volume pretty low as all the details are already there with such an ease.

Now, I'm still curious regarding the quad CV1052 Coated ST shape results, so I'm back to their burn-in this week-end.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #4,894 of 11,472
Ahh yes, the Mc amp, has always been a favorite of mine. Came close to purchasing on several times. may end up with on yet. As H1 has said the CV's continue to impress and change in a positive way. I too am seeing similar changes in the presentation of the music. I am at about 180 hours now, and am quite impressed with them. Good luck

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #4,895 of 11,472
Oohh @ZRW0 , I too have always loved those blue meters lol!! :ksc75smile:...nice setup you have...:L3000:

Sounds like you've been very lucky to find a combo already that obviously matches well with your McIntosh...I suspect achieving such synergy is much more difficult than with headphones. And the greater output from your current favourite tubes may well play a part in this. I can only hope that with more time, the CV1052s will display the kind of development I - and others - have experienced...but it isn't compulsory, of course lol :wink:.

I hope also you're in this for the long haul needed for these tubes to really shine...despite, I'm sure, the tempting call of current #1!! As mentioned many times before - and not just by myself - they repay the sort of patience rarely needed with new tubes. I am still noticing certain (welcome) differences after all this time, which is totally unexpected.

And as you may have already found, (in my system anyway), when putting in EL tubes straight after the 'normal' ones, it can take quite a while before they even sound right...probably due to the 'auto bias' taking its time to settle things down. In fact this rather worried me the first time it happened! But thankfully, hasn't proved later to cause any problem whatsoever.

So good luck with this trial, and look forward to the final results in your own system...(I do hope your McIntosh takes kindly to them...lovely amp lol! :smile_phones:).

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,897 of 11,472
Feliks-Audio always knows how to make pretty things :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Hi Keisuk3.

F-A surely do have some very nice looking amps in their lineup...the 'Arioso' looks especially appealing, to me anyway :wink:.

And although Elise and Euforia have a definite 'understated' look, I personally find them 'pretty' in their own way lol...more like lovely, perhaps?! :ksc75smile:

Speaking of which, if F-A stick with Michal Feliks's early design concept for the new 2A3 flagship headphone and speaker amp, I think they will be redefining just how a top class tube amp should look...quite a departure from the 'traditional', and one that to my eyes could well make most others look decidedly 'dated' lol...so I keep my fingers crossed...:)...CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #4,898 of 11,472
Hi guys.

On a side note...I thought my system - with the 4x ST CV1052s now giving the bass I have never had before (even from the mighty Mullard ECC31) - just couldn't deliver anything more without spending an absolute fortune...WRONG! And I'm now going to say something that will undoubtedly have some folks heaving a very deep sigh (or chuckle!), but I don't mind that at all lol :wink:.

Having up 'til now been rather sceptical about 'superfuses', and underwhelmed by my first encounter with 'budget' AMR special fuses (one of which came adrift at one end...not very encouraging!), out of curiosity I decided to have another go, this time using more expensive 'Hi-Fi Tuning' ones - a 13amp for mains, and a 1.6A internal for Euforia.

The 13A fuse is in the main plug/cable that feeds my Mains Regenerator and thence the Balanced Mains/Advanced Filter unit. At first - and just using this one - I thought I noticed a slightly greater overall depth to the sound, but could easily have been mistaken at this stage, of course. However, now with 24 hrs' continuous 'burn-in', I have to admit my scepticism was ill-founded...to say the least. That increased depth to the sound is for real, to the point where bass extension, detail and depth are unlike anything I've heard from my system before now. Mids are also more clearly defined, and treble is even smoother still. In fact, 'smoother' is a word that defines the main change...across the entire FR. Along with an even cleaner, clearer presentation than the already uncanny one prior, and which has individual instruments delineated more precisely than ever. And my ultimate acid test - when everything else is as good as it gets - is to turn up the volume beyond 'normal' listening levels, and see what happens!... Well, with bass heavy material, it remains solid, detailed and without a hint of bloom/boominess. With treble, my ears remain perfectly happy...no mean feat when assaulted with 'Duke', by Genesis!!

Add to these an unmatched dynamics handling - one second a beautifully deft touch with very quiet passages, the next perfectly controlled crescendos, and I have to say that in my own system at least, this £25 (Edit...no, £35) spend is worth every single penny/cent... and I still cannot believe it lol.

Obviously, an upgraded fuse is NOT going to cure any ills further downstream - as a result of 'dirty'/unconditioned mains electricity; EMI/RFI gremlins; mediocre signal source/DAC; poor cables etc. etc. And I suspect that I may well be getting a certain benefit because I'm fortunate enough to now have a system that is already deathly quiet and free from any interferences whatsoever.

So for me, this infinitesimal amount, compared to the rest of the system, has proved a very worthwhile experiment indeed. But as usual, YMMV!

ps. And given the oft-stated case that upgrading the internal fuse should bring even greater benefit, I can't wait to see if anything else can possibly be brought to the table! :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #4,899 of 11,472
Interesting H, can you post a link to where you purchased? Also, curious as to whether you added both fuses at the same time, or did you stagger them to see if one did more than the other, curious. Have not tried the fuses to see if a difference can be heard. When the fuse in the Euforia blew a few months ago, found some decent fuses on line, could not find any locally. They work fine, no change that I could detect. These were not special fuses, so I wonder. I believe that for the most part, they do not make much difference, but once the system has been tweeted so well, even a small change can be heard. With 200 hours on the CV1052 coated tubes, my system sounds better than it has ever sounded. The only fuses I have seen over here were in the 100+ dollar range and was not interested. But at the price you quoted, it is an easy gamble.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #4,900 of 11,472
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #4,901 of 11,472
Interesting H, can you post a link to where you purchased? Also, curious as to whether you added both fuses at the same time, or did you stagger them to see if one did more than the other, curious. Have not tried the fuses to see if a difference can be heard. When the fuse in the Euforia blew a few months ago, found some decent fuses on line, could not find any locally. They work fine, no change that I could detect. These were not special fuses, so I wonder. I believe that for the most part, they do not make much difference, but once the system has been tweeted so well, even a small change can be heard. With 200 hours on the CV1052 coated tubes, my system sounds better than it has ever sounded. The only fuses I have seen over here were in the 100+ dollar range and was not interested. But at the price you quoted, it is an easy gamble.

Hi cf...this isn't fair - I notice these 'Hi-Fi Tuning' fuses are actually listed on ebay.com, from a guy in Canada...and far cheaper than they are over here! My large 'Gold' mains fuse was in fact £35, not £25 as I thought. And from Canada they're just $12.50!!! But it seems their 'Silver Star' series were highly regarded, and still only $24 for the large fuses, and just $16 for the small internals...peanuts, really! :wink:...and certainly worth a try, even if they don't bring obvious improvements lol. I myself will be trying both the Silver Star small internal, plus the more expensive 'Supreme' internal...but not until I've made sure just what the large mains one is doing first.

I'm pretty sure such fuses will only really bring noticeable changes in highly resolving, extremely quiet and 'clean' sounding systems, and I'd be surprised if they didn't do anything at all in your own, obviously being such a candidate! :ksc75smile:. But these things are not set in stone, of course...:smile_phones:.

And so I look forward to seeing if the upgraded internal fuse does in fact also bring a little extra to the table...in a few days' time.

I also look forward to your own findings, if you do decide to give them a try...and hope you too might be pleasantly surprised after, like me, previous negative results.

Ah well, time for a couple more tracks before zzzzzzzzzzzz, so g'night all...

ps. If you do go for these particular fuses, note that they're directional...indicated by a tiny arrow on the fuse's ceramic body....and GOOD LUCK!...CJ

pps. Some of those prices you linked to really are a bit silly IMHO!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #4,904 of 11,472
OK guys...time for another update...yes, on upgraded fuses I'm afraid!

Having thought I was deluding myself re. my previous statements (with healthy scepticism trying to muscle in), another 24 hrs' burn-in (via my surround receiver, not Euforia, of course lol!) of the 13A 'Hi-Fi Tuning' mains cable fuse has shown promise indeed on many of my test tracks...depending upon the quality of their recording, naturally.

After the most noticeable difference initially - ie. bass notes having greater solidity and impact than ever before - I now realise that there's slight (but still quite noticeable) improvement in ALL the areas that I have previously described my ST CV1052s as having conquered (totally!), so I shan't bore you with repeated details. What I shall say, however, is that the all-encompassing feel is one of a presentation smooooth as honey, but with a tight, rigid control that screams authority, in a way normally reserved for extremely good SS. And thus, there's the beauty of tube amplification, combined with the strengths of solid state...what more can one ask for? :wink::)...

Well, er, actually...a tube to surpass the EL32/CV1052? Despite my recent rejection of the saying 'Never Say Never Again' - and much against my better judgment! - I've spied another possibly interesting tube...and yes, it's yet another of the EL family...the EL38 (I just can't seem to kick my love affair with these pentodes - triode strapped, of course - into touch :triportsad:).

Anyway, even if they don't work OK in Euforia, I shall just mount them and stare at them all day...they're the most beautifully constructed tube I have ever laid eyes upon. And given they're almost identical to the EL37, which many regard as the 'best valve/tube ever made by Mullard', then I'm hoping this may just be another winner....for me, at least, as it has the dreaded anode top cap connection. Tricky for many users, but luckily I've had no such problems with my own adapting. I just hope that Euforia can handle this tube which, luckily, doesn't appear to be quite the powerhouse of the EL37. So if you don't hear from me for a good while, you'll know I've finally managed to blow up my pride and joy....why oh WHY can't I leave well alone lol?!!!...Curiosity, and cat come to mind...

And so, folks, just a few photos of said beauties (nemeses?!)...the military equivalent 'CV450'

P1020029.JPG P1020030.JPG P1020031.JPG P1020032.JPG

Just look at those 4 ceramic post supports; copper grid posts; lovely (and large!) oval anode plate...not to mention the twin 'O' ring getters and gold-plated control grid wire you can't see!...mmmmm....

And these things look even far more impressive in the flesh lol...:k701smile:...CJ

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,905 of 11,472
They look really impressive H, hope they work out for you. But my tube chasing days are over, (okay, maybe just one more time!) unless of course these are much better than cv1052's. Did you manage to find two tubes or four? If two, I assume you will be using them in driver position? One thing I did not care for is the printing is not level on the one tube. Yea I know, but I had to find somethingggg! As always keep us in the loop, all the best.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aam0020.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back