Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,601 of 11,472
This is just Sunday morning rambling/babble. I always enjoy posts from people who are effective at conveying the specific differences they experience in comparing different amps, DACs, headphones, tubes, etc. I'm not very good at that.

But one thing I have often found interesting is that when I attend a live performance and try to apply audiophile concepts or descriptions to what I'm hearing I fail completely. For example, when I go to the Phoenix Symphony and think about things like layering, soundstage, instrument individualization, tonal balance, clarity, etc my mind draws a complete blank. Maybe that is why I make my audio purchases primarily based on the enhancement in emotional connection to music a particular product can provide for me.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,602 of 11,472
If my amps sounded like most of the live concerts I've been to I would be very disappointed with the amp. Live venue acoustics never seem to match those that can be achieved in a good recording. The only live concert I've been to with acoustics could match/exceed the best recordings I have was in the living room of a CSO violinist with an audience of three.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,603 of 11,472
If my amps sounded like most of the live concerts I've been to I would be very disappointed with the amp. Live venue acoustics never seem to match those that can be achieved in a good recording. The only live concert I've been to with acoustics could match/exceed the best recordings I have was in the living room of a CSO violinist with an audience of three.

Good point.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,604 of 11,472
A little music to pass the day...for those that have not heard Chip Davis...

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,605 of 11,472

+1

Completely agree!

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3,606 of 11,472
Has anyone used 12sn7 family tubes? I have significant collection of 12SX7 and various 12SN7s, including Tung Sol RP. Bought special Octal socket savers with heater leads out on EBay.Should be able to receive them in 3-4 weeks.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,607 of 11,472
Somewhere at the end of July
A lonely truck running through the night
The rain falls
It's cold
In the back of the truck
Packed together with many others
Sitting in the dark
Silent and afraid
Waiting
Hope
A new life
A new beginning
My amp is on it's way.

Althalus

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,608 of 11,472
Has anyone used 12sn7 family tubes? I have significant collection of 12SX7 and various 12SN7s, including Tung Sol RP. Bought special Octal socket savers with heater leads out on EBay.Should be able to receive them in 3-4 weeks.
If I remember correctly, Ember does not support such tubes.

Only Solstice seems to support those according to the webpage, but check with Jeremy just in case.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,609 of 11,472
If I remember correctly, Ember does not support such tubes.

Only Solstice seems to support those according to the webpage, but check with Jeremy just in case.
Many amps that use 6SN7 tubes or equivalent, can use 12SN7 tubes if an external voltage source is used. Usually it means a power supply and, if the power supply does not supply the 12V, a voltage regulator as well.
You need an octal adapter with heater leads to supply the voltage independently of the amp.
In the past I have used various set-ups with 7V, 8V, 11V and 12V tubes. It works, but aesthetically it is not pleasing, and I don't use these type of tubes any more, especially since there are so many choices of 6V tubes available.
The only reason I can think of now is that some 12V versions are much less expensive than 6V versions of the same tube (TS round plate as an example).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,610 of 11,472
Many amps that use 6SN7 tubes or equivalent, can use 12SN7 tubes if an external voltage source is used. Usually it means a power supply and, if the power supply does not supply the 12V, a voltage regulator as well.
You need an octal adapter with heater leads to supply the voltage independently of the amp.
In the past I have used various set-ups with 7V, 8V, 11V and 12V tubes. It works, but aesthetically it is not pleasing, and I don't use these type of tubes any more, especially since there are so many choices of 6V tubes available.
The only reason I can think of now is that some 12V versions are much less expensive than 6V versions of the same tube (TS round plate as an example).

Agree. I have 12 sn7 Tung Sol round plate and 3 different types of 12SX7, without equivalent 6sn7 counterparts.

Big part of fun of playing tube amp is tube tolling to experience various music and sound expression.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,612 of 11,472
Shame, shame, shame on you!!! I have done that enough times!

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #3,613 of 11,472
Honey. The store only has 10 of the dresses you ordered ready. Is it ok if I just get these today and come back tomorrow for the other 10, instead of waiting??

OPPPS. I thought I was texting my wife.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #3,614 of 11,472
I hope you bought the long one!

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #3,615 of 11,472
Here is a voice you may not have heard, she is an opera singer, a very fine mezzo-soprano,but here she sings the blues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back