Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #3,526 of 11,460
It is interesting reading the reviews from that last can jam that people that tried the yggy said that it was a very fine sounding dac very clear and concise but sterile. That last word sterile sticks in my mind thinking that is not what music is all about music is about the passion and emotion not just how perfect the wave form is. I am glad that I got the Gumby and not spent the extra on getting the Yggy
Apparently some people feel the same about the Hugo vs. the Mojo, opposite to the Hugo2! Here's an excerpt from @flinkenick's impressions from CanJam London:

(...) But the greatest surprise of the show for me, was the Chord Hugo 2. The original Hugo was widely praised, although some people felt its signature was slightly too neutral, and somewhat void of warmth. For some people it could feel a bit sterile, for instance when compared to the warmer Mojo. While Chord kept the excellent technical performance in terms of its three-dimensional stage, resolution, and transparency, they added just a touch of warmth to its signature. Mind you, the Hugo 2 isn’t warm enough to be predominantly classified as such; but the tuning adds an essential smoothness and musicality to the sound. Based on the brief session its signature seemed comparable to Kuos RealAmp, although they differed in stage and performance. But again, what I would describe as ‘beautifully neutral’: a relatively neutral tone and clean sound, yet with an overall smooth and musical signature. The quality ran throughout its presentation, from its resolved mid-bass, to the coherent midrange, and up to its refined treble presentation – a worthy alternative to my warmer Sony and AK. I went to the show dreading I would spend my savings on the new AK, but left thinking they might be redirected to the Hugo 2. (...)

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,527 of 11,460
CF: Thanks for the nice morning music, even if I'm not H1 !!!

I think the situation JV was referring to was a blind test at a meet he attended. I assume no one could tell which DAC they were listening to. I've read of other situations where people had problems for example choosing which DAC they were listening to in a blind comparison between Yggy and Gumby multibit. I've never personally participated in a blind test.

I personally feel each purchase I make boils down to an emotional choice. That doesn't mean I think I make bad choices, but that as you say a lot goes into preference for a particular product beyond perceived SQ.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #3,528 of 11,460
The only blind test I was involved with did not work out so well. She was described "slightly" different from what was presented. I am sure she felt the same way! Oh wait you were talking about audio, so sorry, but then you are not H1 so it doesn't matter!

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #3,529 of 11,460
JV, while the article that you quote from is interesting it really doesn't prove much other than people's hearing is different. Some people would be put off by the size of it if they're used to using a dragonfly 2 and may not appreciate the extra supposed benefits of the higher-priced dac your visual acuity will also lead you to buy one piece or the other. If you did nothing but a blind test and whatever they chose is the best one, you put all the ingredients in one square black box that you could not differentiate from any of the other and that's the way they were all sold, people would naturally just go for whichever one sounded best of them and they'll buy the one for $50 or $500 it wouldn't matter to them. But design Style and the company's reputation also go into that. I recently tried a dac from a company in China That was supposed to be quite good it was the ladder dac, I thought okay I'll give that a shot it wasn't such a good shot. When I went with the Schiit Gumby I have been very satisfied especially with the customer service. To me that's worth at least 25% of my decision knowing the company is going to back their product. The Euforia amp sounds much better to me than the Elise amp, can I hear the difference between the two, yes do I know that the Euphoria has upgraded parts yes I know that can I hear them I could not pick out an individual resistor, capacitor that made a difference but the sum total of the package definitely made a difference. I rate the design quite highly for what you get for the money that you pay. My problem is the length of the supply chain if you have to send it back for service you've got a week both ways for Transit Plus the hundred and some dollars to ship it back then you have to figure how long is it going to be tied up before they get it fixed. The guy in Australia had to wait quite awhile for the Elise to be fixed, that bothers me and this last episode of mine with the fuse blowing and having to scramble around trying to find a fuse is that user-replaceable the company should have included a spare fuse whether you ever needed it or not cheap insurance, so you'd have one. But that all goes into making up your mind is this product worthwhile, is it better does it sound better, you can make that determination, but there's other things that go into mix before you throw your money down
Good point, and as an architect I concur! I can't begin to tell you how many times a client's aesthetic experience clouds the performance side of their decisions! :beyersmile:

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,530 of 11,460
I think I have hit the jackpot with tube combinations :)

After trying all possible combos with:
Drivers: Ken Rad 6SN7GT, Sylvania 6SN7GT '52 Bad Boys, Sylvania 6SN7WGT, and PSVANE
Power: Svetlanas, GEC 6080.

I just could not be totally satisfied with the sound of any combination. Sometimes too dry, sometimes too rich and soft.

Based on my own experience with a Project Ember, I decided to give a go to my favourite tubes with that amp: Raytheon 6SN7GT. There are several different constructions of this tube. I am using flat black plates with support rods (see picture, not to be confused with the one with ribbed plates!). With the GEC's they pair amazingly! Much better in my opinion than all the other ones. The bass has much better definition and depth, keeping everything very dynamic and detailed, no hint of harshness with HE400i and HD650 (both Kameleonized).

I have seen that some of you have tried the Raytheon, but I am not sure with the same construction. I think it is a killer combo and these tubes are highly overlooked. Not extremely expensive, but not cheap either.

20170704_214914.jpg

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,531 of 11,460
I have not tried the Raytheon six ns7 GTS I have tried the Raytheon 6080 WB and they are a great tube. Almost to the same extent as a gec 6080.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,532 of 11,460
I have not tried the Raytheon six ns7 GTS I have tried the Raytheon 6080 WB and they are a great tube. Almost to the same extent as a gec 6080.[/QUOTE

Connnieflyer, how does Raytheon look like, regular 6080 type or Bendix 6080wb? I have regular type labeled 6080wa, WB or WC. Also have Bendix type, not slotted nor solid graphic support. More of Regular fin type vertical with Bendix type small metal tags

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,534 of 11,460
Those are the ones, I really enjoyed them, I have three of them, bought a spare I liked them so much. Now with the GEC 6080,6as7, and all the rest will be selling off these and others to thin the herd.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #3,535 of 11,460
Those are the ones, I really enjoyed them, I have three of them, bought a spare I liked them so much. Now with the GEC 6080,6as7, and all the rest will be selling off these and others to thin the herd.

I personally keep my herd lean and mean, and sing lullabies to it each night. Well, at least I keep it someplace where I can usually remember where to find it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,538 of 11,460
Will do

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,539 of 11,460
Here is some music for your morning coffee or tea slow down @hypnos1

Thanks cf...just the ticket lol!!..(but with company staying over this coming weekend, plus the need to reterminate my pure silver coax cable from the Naim server to the Hugo 2's 3.5mm jack in - why, oh why can't folks stick with the easy RCA lol?!! - methinks my Loreena McKennitt (ripped to SSD) CDs are going to be soothing my fevered brow the next couple of (late) nights!!! :wink: :ksc75smile:...)....CHEERS!...

Apparently some people feel the same about the Hugo vs. the Mojo, opposite to the Hugo2! Here's an excerpt from @flinkenick's impressions from CanJam London:

Well, angpsi, your post is very timely, mon ami...tomorrow I should receive my own Hugo2...not based upon blind tests, alas!...just an A/B with the mojo and my current tube DAC (which way outperforms my previous £1000 Audiolab 8200CD/DAC). Am hoping the review you quoted is indeed an accurate one...but in the final analysis, of course, the only truly valid result can be how any piece of equipment performs in one's own unique environment and with associated gear...let alone unique ears/brain interpretation/preferences/bias etc. etc. etc. !!!:darthsmile:...

I shall try my utmost to be 100% objective and impartial...no guarantees, mind!! :wink:...(probably have to wait 'til Monday though, I'm afraid...:disappointed:...).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back