Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jun 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,316 of 11,460
Have to agree with you Tunkejazz, those K-R's have some of the best bass out there. Have tried them with Euforia stock power tubes, TS 5998,5998a,and the EL12n and they are a very good sounding tube. As much as I like them, the 1948 rca 6sn7gt grey glass, are more satisfying for me. Looking for a spare pair. Coupled with the gec 6080 it is an incredible combo. With ts5998 just a hair less that the gec, but surprisingly the stock power tubes with the rca sound almost as good as the gec. After hearing this combo I have suspended my search for gec6as7's. Can not see another $600 making it that much better. Have Sylvania Jan's incomimng from Yittry and I will see which to me is better. This morning trying the stock psvane with stock power tubes and it is pretty good, not up to the rca's though.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,317 of 11,460
Have to agree with you Tunkejazz, those K-R's have some of the best bass out there. Have tried them with Euforia stock power tubes, TS 5998,5998a,and the EL12n and they are a very good sounding tube. As much as I like them, the 1948 rca 6sn7gt grey glass, are more satisfying for me. Looking for a spare pair. Coupled with the gec 6080 it is an incredible combo. With ts5998 just a hair less that the gec, but surprisingly the stock power tubes with the rca sound almost as good as the gec. After hearing this combo I have suspended my search for gec6as7's. Can not see another $600 making it that much better. Have Sylvania Jan's incomimng from Yittry and I will see which to me is better. This morning trying the stock psvane with stock power tubes and it is pretty good, not up to the rca's though.

I like my GEC 6080 better than GEC 6AS7G so I don't think they are worth the current price. But that's just me. f'm not the expert here )))

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,318 of 11,460
Hey - wait a second! Here is the fine print of the Massdrop HD650:

All orders will be shipped by Massdrop. Domestic orders are expected to arrive by December 25.

Estimated ship date is Dec 18, 2017.

And this: An "updated" 6' cable instead of 10' .

I think I'll look for a good buy on the Senns......

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,319 of 11,460
Hey - wait a second! Here is the fine print of the Massdrop HD650:

All orders will be shipped by Massdrop. Domestic orders are expected to arrive by December 25.

Estimated ship date is Dec 18, 2017.

And this: An "updated" 6' cable instead of 10' .

I think I'll look for a good buy on the Senns......

I got mine for 190 GBP used only once according to the seller, he did not like the fit.
They were in pristine condition and I have seen quite some in similar shape in the sales section.

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #3,321 of 11,460
Yes, I think overall I got a good price given that I am placed in Sweden. Local shops are charging approx. 370 USD for a new set here (3190 SEK).

I got mine in January this year, but I was very picky about the "almost new" condition.

PS: I have original Senns, not massdrop. I think I was not very clear in my previous post.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,322 of 11,460

Thanks CF, I will wait until I get the GEC, but I will keep an eye on prices on ebay for a pair of RCA. It is a bit annoying that I bought many single tubes for my Ember. I wish I had gone for pairs!

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,323 of 11,460
I know what you mean, with the Ember had a lot of tubes, and when I sold it did so as a package with all the tubes. I did the same thing with the Elise was not thinking clearly at all, at the time, tubes were worth more than the amp. But very happy with the Euforia and a selection of tubes that really make this sound absolutely wonderful, especially pleasing is the way the Euforia improves the sound with the Senn 800 compared to the Elise. I am glad I upgraded to the new amp, well worth the investment. I am pretty sure this will be the last tube amp I buy. I had two pair of the Senn 650 liked the first one so well, when they went on great one hour sale at amazon bought the second pair "just in case"!

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,324 of 11,460
I like my GEC 6080 better than GEC 6AS7G so I don't think they are worth the current price. But that's just me. f'm not the expert here )))

Everything needs to be taken in context. If you say that you like your GEC 6080 better than GEC 6as7g, we have to know what headphone you're using and what you're having for breakfast this morning. What you eat affects your hearing preference. Don't believe me? Try eating some chilli or tomato sauce. Then repeat the experiment and tell me which GEC you like.

Well, you're using HD800S, a headphone that is more textured than it's original brother, the HD800.

So someone with a HD800 (leaner tone) will come along and say that they like the GEC 6as7g better than the GEC 6080 ..... and that someone would be me. :ksc75smile:

So who is correct and who is the expert here? You could say that both are correct and both are experts..... or both are noobs. :ksc75smile: It's just how you look at it.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,325 of 11,460
I have the 800 also, so please send my your gec 6as7g and I will compare it to the 6080!!!!

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #3,326 of 11,460

I have to dissect this statement from my friend CF. Mind you, he's mostly correct in what he says here.... mostly. Why did I say mostly? Let me explain.

This is RCA 6sn7gt grey glass or as it's more commonly call, smoked glass. So picture here so everyone knows we are talking about the same tube.
2-x-JAN-CRC-6SN7-GT-RCA-VT-231-Tubes.jpg

This tube sounds smokey... now you know why it's call smokey. Well not just smokey but warm and lush as well. Hang on a second. I'm not trying to ridicule this tube. In fact, I like it's attributes. I like this for 'blues' or anytime I want a more relaxed, chill out tone. This is not Brazilian samba. You need to look elsewhere for that.

This RCA with GEC 6080 will sound lovely with HD800. Swap in the TS 5998, it will also sound lovely on the HD800. Notice I say HD800. I have no HD800S to make a direct comparison, even though I have heard the HD800S at a meet 2 years ago. ...... 2 years ago is memory lost and forgotten.

So what will happen when you swap in the GEC 6as7g as power tubes? Hehehe, I don't want to tease the citizens here anymore. Let me just say that it's wrong, that the GEC 6as7g sounds so special on my Elise, Euforia and..... wait for it..... my La Figaro 339..... and wait for it..... my microwave.... (ok ignore the microwave PLEASE) ...... and at the same time there are so few in supply and so BLOOD SUCKING expensive. So I won't be promoting this tube anymore. I will just say it's the most awful and wrecked sounding tubes. So forget about it. Save your $500 and send them to me to further my Head-Fi expansion.

Thanks for listening.

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #3,327 of 11,460
I have the 800 also, so please send my your gec 6as7g and I will compare it to the 6080!!!!

You know Don.... sorry I have to call you Don because you are a very special friend to me. No sarcasm here. Just the plain simple to goodness UT here.

I have never seen you before except that young photo you send me of a very handsome man sometime ago.... makes me kinda envious I don't have that moustache !!!

Anyway as I was saying.... I have been thinking very hard these last few days...... I have that extra GEC 6as7g with the square base. Believe me, even though the seller says that it's lightly used, to my eyes and ears, they look and sound almost NOS.

Like I say, you have been a very special friend to me.... the day you wrote to me and say that you like my jokes and ramblings here so much that you are going to send me some of your best vinyls ..... and send you did. You send me a part of the best YOU. That touched me. It did. It touched me more than any of my gear here. It touched me more than my Euforia. It touched me more than my HD800. It even touched me more than my Yggdrasil. When I told my family that a Mr Don from Michigan send me 40 plus of his best LPs, they told me 'I must have done something right... or touched him'.

SO.... I am going to give you a part of the best ME. I know it's not much but still it's a part of the best ME .... and trust me, that is a LOT. :ksc75smile:

Alright UT, cut the crap and get to the point.

Don, I'm going to send you the single nearly new GEC 6as7g, postage on me, as a gift. You can't say no alright? If you do, I will come to Michigan and beat you with a club.

In all this, I remember what my Master 'Wu Kai' ... remember Mr Tortoise? ... well he said... 'The more you have.... the less you have'. So I am giving you one... ok just one.... not my jewels pair of GEC 6as7g curved base, mother of pearl, best in the kingdom tubes.

So with that one GEC 6as7g square base you can buy another one yourself. Like this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AS7G-CV252...647609?hash=item3d3b861379:g:XLoAAOSw~y9ZHYjO

.... and enjoy the magic of GEC 6as7g.

With all my love and humble gratitude,
UT

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,329 of 11,460
Wow, I'm really touched by the overwhelming flow of emotion here (actually I am, jokes aside)! So any of you guys send me your Euforias, an Yggy, a Gumby, or a Bimby, and one pair of precious GEC 6as7g (I'll take round base or square base with equal gratitude) and see if my HD600 turns into an HD800! :k701smile:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,330 of 11,460
On a different note, I just sold my Olympus XZ1 point and shoot through an auction to a guy in Poland. He tells me his wife was enamored with it since last year and he wanted to give it to her as a gift for her birthday. He asked me whether the package would make it to his hands before July 10 because they want to take it with them on their vacation in... Greece! Now that's what I call a karmic coincidence!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back