Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,057 of 11,473
Yup a duppa do. I have indeed tried EF80. Both Siemens and Mullard. Sounded very good and they are cheaper. :)

Thanks, UntilThen.

How are sound signatures of Siemens, Mullard, and Amperex? 

Yes, they are cheap and plentiful.

Saw a Chinese amp online, TingFeng MZ-6 pro, that uses 4 EF80 and 2 6AS7 and is fully balanced.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,058 of 11,473

Yup a duppa do. I have indeed tried EF80. Both Siemens and Mullard. Sounded very good and they are cheaper. :)

Thanks, UntilThen.

How are sound signatures of Siemens, Mullard, and Amperex? 

Yes, they are cheap and plentiful.

Saw a Chinese amp online, TingFeng MZ-6 pro, that uses 4 EF80 and 2 6AS7 and is fully balanced.

Mullard is a bit warmer, just a bit. Siemens is less so. These tubes were originally used on my La Figaro 339. Same with EF86. On the LF339, these drivers sounded clear and on the bright side. That's why I could pair it with Svetlana 6h13c or Chatham 6520 and be very happy listening to it ... with HD650.

I have not heard an Amperex branded one before.

Btw, your descriptions of the various power tubes (5998, 7236, Bendix 6080wb) were very much in line with what I hear. Those 3 as well as the cheaper Mullard 6080 and Chatham 6as7 have remain as my favourite power tubes. GEC 6as7g is good but I can't see how it's worth twice as much as TS 5998. I had it on my Euforia at the meet. I actually prefer the more exciting sound of the trio.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,059 of 11,473

Mullard is a bit warmer, just a bit. Siemens is less so. These tubes were originally used on my La Figaro 339. Same with EF86. On the LF339, these drivers sounded clear and on the bright side. That's why I could pair it with Svetlana 6h13c or Chatham 6520 and be very happy listening to it ... with HD650.

I have not heard an Amperex branded one before.

Btw, your descriptions of the various power tubes (5998, 7236, Bendix 6080wb) were very much in line with what I hear. Those 3 as well as the cheaper Mullard 6080 and Chatham 6as7 have remain as my favourite power tubes. GEC 6as7g is good but I can't see how it's worth twice as much as TS 5998. I had it on my Euforia at the meet. I actually prefer the more exciting sound of the trio.

Agree. 5998, 7236, Bendix 6080wb match very well with HD650.

A bit tougher to match HD800/T1, especially for for non-classical music and Jazz.  For Rock/blue grass, country and pop warmer RCA tubes are a bit slow. 

I only use T1 and HD650 for rock, country and pop. In my ears, HD 800 just does not sound right regardless tube combinations.

Classical music and Jazz are fine with warmer/richer driver tubes. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,060 of 11,473
My ears are very adaptable. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I could be loving T1 with brighter tubes one moment and the next, be totally satisfied too when I switch to warmer, more relaxed tone of HD650 and warmer tubes. 

It's just variations to me and that's why I love tube amps. Small but very discernible differences when you switched tubes. 

I have RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass. This is probably my warmest sounding driver. I don't use it much except when I want a warmest tone. Pairing it with a brighter power tube works too... and probably with T1.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,061 of 11,473
And now having not heard my T1 for several days, I put it on and immediately I hear so much more than the HD650. 
bigsmile_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Between different headphones, tubes and tube amps, I can go nuts experimenting with different tones. It got so bad that I finally gave the La Figaro 339 to my son. Too much rolling of everything. I find myself listening to gear instead of music.

Now I just switch on Euforia and let it go..... 

Oh I'm a tube amp lover. You'll never convince me to switch to ss amp. Heard Audio Gd balanced and Violectric v281 ss amps but I'll still prefer a good tube amp sound any day.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,063 of 11,473
It, have been using the K R vt231 s tonight with the Raytheon 6080 and these sound so much better on the Eufotia than they did on the Else, much more detail in the bass range than before. Male vocals are really its forte. Pleasantly surprised.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,064 of 11,473
It, have been using the K R vt231 s tonight with the Raytheon 6080 and these sound so much better on the Eufotia than they did on the Else, much more detail in the bass range than before. Male vocals are really its forte. Pleasantly surprised.

Like the 3 Tenors? There will never be the likes of these again.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,065 of 11,473
Is that a self portrait of @UntilThen, @pctazhp and @hypnos1?  Looks familiar, new you guys liked music but did not know you could sing!

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,066 of 11,473
UT, My A-S was built from manufacture kit. Much older. Your picture is current pretty version

Eight 6AS7 tubes were removed, and Euforia drivers tubes were put in "getting conditioning" with heater on only. 

Left two columns: 5692, RCA VT-231 Smoke glass; (Middle columns: original A-S tubes: 12SX7 and 12SN7); Right columns: Sylvania 6SN7WGT, Siemens EF80.

Euforia has all the attention.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #2,067 of 11,473
  UT, My A-S was built from manufacture kit. Much older. Your picture is current pretty version

Eight 6AS7 tubes were removed, and Euforia drivers tubes were put in "getting conditioning" with heater on only. 

Left two columns: 5692, RCA VT-231 Smoke glass; (Middle columns: original A-S tubes: 12SX7 and 12SN7); Right columns: Sylvania 6SN7WGT, Siemens EF80.

Euforia has all the attention.

So you are using your Atma Sphere to condition your tubes. 
bigsmile_face.gif

"Euforia has all the attention" - rightly so. This tube amp responds very well to all the 6sn7 and 6as7 / 6080 that I've tried so far. Which is not a surprise. This tube amp is specifically designed for 6sn7 / 6as7. This is Henryk's workmanship. It's a step up definitely over Elise with not an unsubstantial price increase but all the upgrades and re-tuning has turn out a tube amp that is worthy of a spot in a good head-fi system. One that has @hypnos1 take the plunge and upgraded his source, DAC and power conditioner. It's a good move in my opinion. Euforia deserves to be partnered with the best of equipment now.

I have that Sylvania 6sn7wgt in your A-S.

This is a quote from 6SN7 Reference thread on it:-
“Non-fatiguing, smooth, with good detail resolution, bandwidth and speed. Bass can be a bit warm and exaggerated, a good thing if your speakers are bass shy. Does not have the midrange ambience and resolution of the VT-231 types. But very good overall.” –Chimera

I agree with the above statement.

However it's the following impression that has made me commit to a pair of Sylvania 6sn7w.

“The 6SN7WGT and WGTA (sounds very similar) are good tubes, but they aren't on par with the earlier 6SN7W tubes (any of the three versions). It is the midrange that is lacking: a bit lean and diffuse compared to the full sound of the 6SN7W. The treble isn't as sparkling either, although the 6SN7WGT is still great in the upper registers. I actually like the midbass of the WGT/WGTA better though, as I find it a little tighter. But overall, it doesn't compare to the terrific Syl 6SN7W.” –Len 

After more than 1.5 years with Elise and now Euforia, I'm just starting to explore 6sn7. It's not too late. 
wink.gif

Ps... I'm bidding on a pair of Ken Rad 6sn7gt vt231. Don't go on a bidding war with me please. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,068 of 11,473
OK guys...now that my Naim UnitiCore Server/Streamer/NAS (in effect!)/CD ripper/Hard Drive player and silver coax cable have burned in some more, all I can say is....get saving NOW lol!!!
wink_face.gif

This piece of kit alone takes  Euforia to a level I doubt even F-A have fully realised (perhaps!). And that's just with 'ordinary' 44.1 kHz 16 bit fare. Have just been listening to some hi-res downloads from HDTracks (copied to the Naim's SSD painlessly and wirelessly from my laptop), and IMHO you won't have to bother about DSD...ever!!
wink.gif
. Holographic soundstage; detail retrieval; FR extension and effortless handling; vocal/instrumental separation and positioning, are clear and precise with immaculate control, and PRaT to die for. What more could you ask lol?!
biggrin.gif

So don't even hesitate - put this beauty on your must-have list right away, and don't look back...(or bother to look at the bank balance!)...it really is that good...in my own setup that is, of course!! (but there's no reason at all why it shouldn't do wonders for anyone else with half-decent gear...which means ALL here in Euforia land, no?!!!
L3000.gif
...(start putting out Birthday/Christmas hints now...even if only to yourself - you deserve it!!
tongue.gif
)...CHEERS!...CJ

ie...............................................

Absolutely just made for Euforia...or Elise, for that matter!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #2,070 of 11,473
Pct did H1 just say he eas buying us all the new Naim for Christmas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back