Feliks Audio ENVY
Feb 26, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #196 of 6,966
Also is it really 8 watts of power because their website seemed to imply something different versus the traditional convention of rating power at maximum 1% THD. From their preorder page: "Output powered measured at MID impedance setting at load of 16Ω is 5W with THD ⩽1% (maximum 8W at THD >5%)."
If it's 5w into 16Ohm with mid impedance, Susvara is 60Ohm, so if it would have linear power curve it would be around 1.25W for Susvara. For comparison Ferrum Oor (a bit apples and organes as it's solid state) is rated at 8w per channel into 60Ohm, so if those assumptions are correct the Oor is pretty much 6x more powerful, and from my experience it has 2x power needed for Susvara (so knob at 12 o clock rocking out with plenty of headroom to spare, again assuming volume curve is more less linear). I would think that 3W into 60Ohm should be plenty for Susvara, 1.5W driving power + 1.5W headroom ... but ...

... it is all on the assumption that the amp has a linear curve, it may not, so who knows ... also it would be a fair guess that WOO WA33 is 2x as powerful juding by the tube configuration, but again ... only the manufacturers or really dedicated buyers who can test and measure can answer those questions.

For comparison HA6a on KT88 has just about enough to drive Susvara properly, it could do with a bit of headroom though

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #197 of 6,966
If it's 5w into 16Ohm with mid impedance, Susvara is 60Ohm, so if it would have linear power curve it would be around 1.25W for Susvara. For comparison Ferrum Oor (a bit apples and organes as it's solid state) is rated at 8w per channel into 60Ohm, so if those assumptions are correct the Oor is pretty much 6x more powerful, and from my experience it has 2x power needed for Susvara (so knob at 12 o clock rocking out with plenty of headroom to spare, again assuming volume curve is more less linear). I would think that 3W into 60Ohm should be plenty for Susvara, 1.5W driving power + 1.5W headroom ... but ...

... it is all on the assumption that the amp has a linear curve, it may not, so who knows ... also it would be a fair guess that WOO WA33 is 2x as powerful juding by the tube configuration, but again ... only the manufacturers or really dedicated buyers who can test and measure can answer those questions.

For comparison HA6a on KT88 has just about enough to drive Susvara properly, it could do with a bit of headroom though
This is where we need more clarification for 1266 Phi TC / Sus / HE6 owners... We all know we have difficult cans to drive but at what point is watts important (diminishing marginal returns) vs. current. I see many of the Wells Dragon owners talking more about having high current than outright watts as the driving synergy force.. Same can be said for the Pathos inEar pol amp as well.

Perhaps current is part of the discussion with the Envy.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #198 of 6,966
This is where we need more clarification for 1266 Phi TC / Sus / HE6 owners... We all know we have difficult cans to drive but at what point is watts important (diminishing marginal returns) vs. current. I see many of the Wells Dragon owners talking more about having high current than outright watts as the driving synergy force.. Same can be said for the Pathos inEar pol amp as well.

Perhaps current is part of the discussion with the Envy.
Indeed, waiting for first owners to test with Susvara under heavy load to see how much headroom there is and if there is any clipping.

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #199 of 6,966
giphy.gif

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #201 of 6,966
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #202 of 6,966
Our review of the new Envy is up! The headroom is good with the Susvara, the impedance switches have some real purpose here with planars best set to the 'hi' impedance setting. It also looks beautiful with those Fullmusic H300b tubes, no denying that.

https://headfonics.com/feliks-audio-envy-review/

1647422193721.png

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #203 of 6,966
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #204 of 6,966
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #206 of 6,966
Mar 16, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #207 of 6,966
Hey ,
nice report,and thank you for it.
Is it possible to compare with the Euforia in few words?
Unfortunately, I do not have the Euforia to comment on, another one of our guys did that review a few years back but in speaking with Feliks a few days ago they did comment on the differences. (I hope they don't mind me paraphrasing here).

1. OTL (e.g Euforia) vs non-OTL (Envy).
2. The Envy can sustain a much higher voltage and current (therefore power) - for example, Euforia can deliver only about 4V (with no load) compared to 16V of Envy (with no load). This is why dynamic headphones are so good with OTL - they don't need high voltage to drive them well.

"An analogy to a firehose - OTL is a thin pipe, the stream can flow far, but if you want to increase the volume of water, the stream will start getting shorter. Non-OTL is just a big fat pipe with a lot of pressure in it."

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #209 of 6,966
One point I'd like to discuss a bit further about the Envy design vs. say Cayin HA-300.

The second is the use of a solid-state rectification design to keep the output tight and punchy avoiding the more traditional tube rectification ‘sag’ or flabby low-end. This is something the Envy does exceedingly well, (more detail in sound impressions on page 2).

I've heard with 300B it's a preferable design to have a tube rectification to retain the pure character of the 300B tubes. Not trying to debate but more trying to learn about the design choices on this unit vs. other alternate options. If you use SS rectification would this perhaps do a better job of driving Sus/HE6/1266 Phi TC bass control/slam but perhaps give up some of the mid range characteristic of the 300B. Obviously with any design choice there are puts and takes just trying to understand both sides here with the rectification choices.

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #210 of 6,966
One point I'd like to discuss a bit further about the Envy design vs. say Cayin HA-300.

I've heard with 300B it's a preferable design to have a tube rectification to retain the pure character of the 300B tubes. Not trying to debate but more trying to learn about the design choices on this unit vs. other alternate options. If you use SS rectification would this perhaps do a better job of driving Sus/HE6/1266 Phi TC bass control/slam but perhaps give up some of the mid range characteristic of the 300B. Obviously with any design choice there are puts and takes just trying to understand both sides here with the rectification choices.

I intend to find out in a few weeks time :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back