Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 16, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #212 of 7,172
Perhaps it should be OTL as well?
An OTL Design does not provide enough power for the likes of the Susvara and the Envy had been designed to be also a prrfect fit for hard to drive planars.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #213 of 7,172
An OTL Design does not provide enough power for the likes of the Susvara and the Envy had been designed to be also a prrfect fit for hard to drive planars.

This is why I asked about Cayin HA-300.. There is also Modwright 300, Woo WA5 LE, A&S Agartha rv 2 300b are all similarly competent with planars. Just wondering if you go the SS rectification route if you gain bass performance at the expense of the 300B character. Tastes and preferences will obviously be different but would be good to know what the tradeoff are.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #214 of 7,172
This is why I asked about Cayin HA-300.. There is also Modwright 300, Woo WA5 LE, A&S Agartha rv 2 300b are all similarly competent with planars. Just wondering if you go the SS rectification route if you gain bass performance at the expense of the 300B character. Tastes and preferences will obviously be different but would be good to know what the tradeoff are.
This is probably not uniformly answered as there are good and Bad rectification Implementations of both solid state and tube rectification methods.
Probably also depends on the tube type used for the rectification.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #215 of 7,172
Our review of the new Envy is up! The headroom is good with the Susvara, the impedance switches have some real purpose here with planars best set to the 'hi' impedance setting. It also looks beautiful with those Fullmusic H300b tubes, no denying that.

https://headfonics.com/feliks-audio-envy-review/

1647422193721.png
Nice.

Did you manage to test with the Bartok and Meze Elites or Empyreans?

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #216 of 7,172
Nice.

Did you manage to test with the Bartok and Meze Elites or Empyreans?

Well for the Bartok we did a section on that as a paired DAC (Ring DAC). You can find that on page 2.

Elite and Empyrean sounded great with zero issues on load and tons of current headroom. Elite for me gelled well with the Envy's strong sub-bass response. However, Empyrean mids did exceptionally well with the Envy's sweetish overtones so both will be fine.

As ever, your DAC will have an influence on the exact final output.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #217 of 7,172
Well for the Bartok we did a section on that as a paired DAC (Ring DAC). You can find that on page 2.

Elite and Empyrean sounded great with zero issues on load and tons of current headroom. Elite for me gelled well with the Envy's strong sub-bass response. However, Empyrean mids did exceptionally well with the Envy's sweetish overtones so both will be fine.

As ever, your DAC will have an influence on the exact final output.
Thanks.

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #218 of 7,172
I am close to ordering the Envy.
I am not a big wire guy so I am hesitant to pay an upcharge of $700 for single crystal copper vs the 'premium copper' internal wire that is standard. Yes, there is also the Full Music 300B tubes upgrade in that $700 cost as well.
I don't have bat ears and I'm having a hard time believing that I could hear the difference in any 'premium' copper wire.
My thought is using $700 towards a better pair of 300B.

I already have quite a few pairs of very good 6SN7.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #219 of 7,172
According to the test report, you can assume that the sound signature is neutral with the stock tubes.
In the end, you will suffer and the headphones, even if you have several, will have a minimum of one that can't handle it.
I can imagine that planar headphones may suffer somewhat.
That was the case with the Euforia, even if you shouldn't compare it.

Remember the Elise has copper cables
and is slightly warmer than the Euforia in performance.
If you like that, stick with it and really buy a set of better 300b tubes.

The Euforia has this cable at extra cost and is a little colder in performance but more accurate and detailed.

Otherwise, if you are unsure, ask Feliks directly, I think they can answer it better than we can at the moment.

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #220 of 7,172
Remember the Elise has copper cables
and is slightly warmer than the Euforia in performance.
If you like that, stick with it and really buy a set of better 300b tubes.
Both options use copper wire.
I have a message in to Feliks asking for more detail regarding the 'premium' copper wire used in the Envy.
I have to believe that a good 300B would be $$$ better spent than a few feet of internal copper wire.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #221 of 7,172
From my experience with tubes a) you don't buy a tube amp for absolute detail and b) tubes are highly subjective and can pair with speciffic headphones and not with others. More expensive doesn't always equal better in this case.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #222 of 7,172
Yes, there can always be a mismatch in a particular hp / tubes and more $$$ does not always = better sound!. I've been fairly happy with tubes from the humble Vali 2, Garage 1217 amp, Liquid Platinum, Pendant and now a Bigger Ben. I don't need any more detail than what I have in the BB but have not heard a 300B hp amp.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #223 of 7,172
If you have never heard one before, then the standard version will probably not be wrong to get a feel for it.
If you say you have a pair of 6sn7 sets, they might be able to do something.

But if the tubes could be deselected, which would have a noticeable effect on the price, then I would do it.
Then I would go to the Ofc cable and look for 300B tubes myself.

With the Euforia amplifier, you can or could buy it without tubes back then.
For me personally it was a bad investment.

If you know the Ps vane and didn't like them you can save them.they will be similar on Envy probably.
I would look at the Electro Harmonix to see if there are any test reports for it.
The Full Music have a bad reputation with the 6SN7 in terms of the failure rate.
But they have a great sound.
I would also look for test reports on the 300B to see if it is better or similar.
I'm sure you can find something with the Google engine.

If you are still looking for a 300b, take a look at the Linlai, which doesn't seem to be wrong.
As well as the Western Electric and what the Nos market has to offer.

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #224 of 7,172
If you have never heard one before, then the standard version will probably not be wrong to get a feel for it.
If you say you have a pair of 6sn7 sets, they might be able to do something.

But if the tubes could be deselected, which would have a noticeable effect on the price, then I would do it.
Then I would go to the Ofc cable and look for 300B tubes myself.
I see 2 options on the Feliks Audio site

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 12.00.57 AM.png

I am not sure what denotes 'premium copper wire' in the Standard Edition but surely it is at least OFC quality these days.

Yes, the Premium Edition uses UPOCC single crystal copper wire.

IMO I am paying for R & D, a great circuit and a really nice chassis and the wire is secondary.
I'll do my research and find a better pair of 300B than the EH Gold that come stock.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #225 of 7,172
I see 2 options on the Feliks Audio site

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 12.00.57 AM.png

I am not sure what denotes 'premium copper wire' in the Standard Edition but surely it is at least OFC quality these days.

Yes, the Premium Edition uses UPOCC single crystal copper wire.

IMO I am paying for R & D, a great circuit and a really nice chassis and the wire is secondary.
I'll do my research and find a better pair of 300B than the EH Gold that come stock.
Get the new WE300B. They sound fantastic. Alternatively, the Linlai Elite is also good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back