Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,631 of 6,822
We rewired the house maybe 10+ years ago so it's not as if I'm running off an old decrepit ring, plus IMO UK power is usually pretty good on the whole. I'll give these the benefit of the doubt, run them in a fair bit then swap back to the stock fuses. Only way I see of checking if there's any difference. DAC / Server are both using internal breakers so I 'might' try a Master on the end of the 156...depending on what I think of these. I'll also test the power cable with the SR in it on DAC & server.

And yeah, it ain't no cable swap and certainly not the HUGE difference that big review made of all the QSA fuses (and coincidentally HUGE difference in how light your wallet gets with each jump up the rung... :upside_down:)

On a different topic, Tak's & cv1988 are now sounding superb. Tak's were low hours when I got them so pretty sure that's them now coming on song. Mid's were a bit flat / recessed initially but zero quibbles about that region now. Sounds that good now I'm hesitant to cough up for the TM's today but will still go ahead. Either way I'll end up with two great flavours to choose from, the joy's of rolling!

Will also have a pair of RCA VT99's coming my way soon enough, adapters also on route. Possibly a set of Mullard ECC32's as well. Fun times ahead...
I’ve had Mullard ECC32’s in my Envy and found them very picky with headphones and gain settings. Got them to sound fantastic with 800’s at mid gain, but they would not pair nicely with Susvara.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #6,632 of 6,822
I’ve had Mullard ECC32’s in my Envy and found them very picky with headphones and gain settings. Got them to sound fantastic with 800’s at mid gain, but they would not pair nicely with Susvara.
Yeah, I think I read you posting about that so it's a cautious toe dipping as I'm solely using Storm right now and that restricts me largely to low gain unless I knock off some serious db's with the DAC.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #6,633 of 6,822
Melz1578 arrived.
Wow.
They are extremely good, i think even better than BrimarCV1988 or the TungSol i own. They are astonishing when it comes to detail, soundstage, imaging, blackness of background. While they are hyper detailed, they are not sacrificing musicality and natural timbre. They are not overly warm or lush, but in no way harsh, peaky, grainy, whatever term you might use for a bad midrange or treble. The bass is also exceptional, so much punch and dynamics. Combined with the MO's, the Susvara reached a new high. That being said, they are probably not the tubes that will help the 1266 achieve a sweet midrange. Oh, and they are completely silent.
After half an hour of listening, i messaged the guy i bought them from, because he has two more pairs of them, i will buy a back-up pair, the price is very attractive and the availability of those will certainly not get better.
Just imagine tubes like those new stock from a big reputable manufacturer with a warranty.

SPEAKING OF TUBES, i may or may not have gone for the_big_purchase in the end after all.

Man, i love tubes. This is one more time where i just sit in awe starring in the air while listening to music.
My favourite pairing with my Meze's.

I really like the WEs with the Melz or Red base with the MOs with Susvara.

However! Melz + MO was sooo spectacular with the Grimm MU2 the fellow in the hifi shop has determined he needs that pairing. It was unbelievable.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #6,634 of 6,822
I maybe blind, can't see the tube compatibility list / menu on the website. Can someone link it for me pretty please?

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #6,635 of 6,822
A question regarding 1578 Melz tubes

There are two version I couldnt currently find online.

1st is the russian / ukrainian soviet production (?) variant with oval upper plate, oval mica plate

Those retail between 170 eur - 500 eur
1713961464268.png

None russian / ukrainian version with rectangular mica plates

1713961774533.png

This retail for 700-1k

Is it sonically the same tube or what differences shall I expect?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #6,636 of 6,822
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #6,637 of 6,822
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #6,638 of 6,822
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #6,639 of 6,822
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #6,640 of 6,822
i was listening to the youtube video about the Cayin KT170 amplifier, they are now releasing a headphone version, and the video had this information about tubes -- notice that the 300B is listed as "low power". does this information have any correlation to sound quality or the ability to drive headphones.

low power, good midrange: 300B, 211, 845
medium power: EL34, KT66, EL84
dynamic, powerful: KT88, KT120, KT150, KT170

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #6,641 of 6,822
A question regarding 1578 Melz tubes

There are two version I couldnt currently find online.

1st is the russian / ukrainian soviet production (?) variant with oval upper plate, oval mica plate

Those retail between 170 eur - 500 eur
1713961464268.png

None russian / ukrainian version with rectangular mica plates

1713961774533.png

This retail for 700-1k

Is it sonically the same tube or what differences shall I expect?
The 2nd pics are the real deal ones. Having moved on to other tube options with adapters I don't think 2 are worth 700. Really any CV6 with adapters, c3g and 5A/152M are on the same level or better.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #6,642 of 6,822
Made a school boy error today, purples only a day in and put PSM156 in the chain along with changing from network / toslink on the Bricasti to AES. Now need to wait a couple of weeks for everything to settle then reverse engineer to see what makes a difference and what doesn't. Having said that, quite surprised at PSM156 out of the box, certainly makes for a blacker background. Had some slight glare in upper mid / lower treble initially so went on a PSM156 break in hunt on google and right enough, seems like a common thing. Either way, i'll take the unexpected darkness and see where things evolve. Sorry if a bit O/T but bit of chat about it recently in here!

Back on topic, maybe got slightly ahead of myself but have Kenrad VT-231 (JAN), RCA 5692 reds (eagles), Marconi B65 (black base), RCA VT99 & G73-R all en route just to give a newb like myself some experience and flavour. It'll take a little time to assess them all but I'll report back as I go. @walterboss , welcome to take them for a spin once I've had a listen!

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #6,643 of 6,822
Made a school boy error today, purples only a day in and put PSM156 in the chain along with changing from network / toslink on the Bricasti to AES. Now need to wait a couple of weeks for everything to settle then reverse engineer to see what makes a difference and what doesn't. Having said that, quite surprised at PSM156 out of the box, certainly makes for a blacker background. Had some slight glare in upper mid / lower treble initially so went on a PSM156 break in hunt on google and right enough, seems like a common thing. Either way, i'll take the unexpected darkness and see where things evolve. Sorry if a bit O/T but bit of chat about it recently in here!

Back on topic, maybe got slightly ahead of myself but have Kenrad VT-231 (JAN), RCA 5692 reds (eagles), Marconi B65 (black base), RCA VT99 & G73-R all en route just to give a newb like myself some experience and flavour. It'll take a little time to assess them all but I'll report back as I go. @walterboss , welcome to take them for a spin once I've had a listen!
I really enjoy the G73-R and RCA 5692 reds. I still think the G73-R are the best out of the 6 pair of driver tubes that I have but the 1960s Mullard ECC82s are very close.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #6,644 of 6,822
I really enjoy the G73-R and RCA 5692 reds. I still think the G73-R are the best out of the 6 pair of driver tubes that I have but the 1960s Mullard ECC82s are very close.
So many variables though, eg, for us, 300B tube used, music / genre listened to and upstream chain. Figured there's so many opinions on tubes (although a general feeling for each) that i'll just jump in and try some. Had made my mind up i wouldn't touch anything until TM/73 arrive but from speaking to the guy with 73's I've ended up with another 3 pairs. Guess he's quite the salesman... :upside_down:

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #6,645 of 6,822
I've ended up with another 3 pairs. Guess he's quite the salesman... :upside_down:
I hope you are a young guy and get to eventually use at least 2 of those 4 pairs!!!!😳

Rated at 10,0000 hours you may have several lifetimes of these Tele’s……. then again you could easily sell them. Paired with the TM will be stunning!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back