Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,641 of 3,428
Thanks Guys

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,642 of 3,428

I am quite sure that H1 will use an external power supply. However, my amp can provide 12.6 volts and that is well within spec (13 volts +/- 10%).

The reason for this warning in the 6SN7 thread is that not all amps can provide 0.9 amps to power the heaters on the ECC31/32. However, we know (private communication between H1 and Feliks Audio) that the Elise can provide up to 1.0 amps. And my amp can easily handle a 2.5 amp 6AS7 in the driver socket if I wanted. lol :)

Hi g.

They finally arrived today...and they're one gorgeous looking tube - especially for an old 'un, lol! And I cannot believe how much smaller they are than the Mullard ECC31. And luckily, that awful silver coating comes off easily - most succumbs to a rough, dry towel...the last spots to a damp nylon scouring pad (for non-stick pans...don't wanna scratch that lovely glass!).

pssst.   what a funny bottom!!
wink.gif

This really took me by surprise - I was expecting something much bigger!

And yes, I shall have to use an external power supply...but this time instead of a cumbersome transformer/voltage regulator PS, I will try a much neater 12V laptop PS. You mentioned 13V +or-10%, so hopefully I should be OK (I noticed an article on the web re its use in an old radio (transmitter/receiver?) of some sort, and they stated 12V...).

Am really looking forward to seeing what these beauties deliver...once I've sussed out the best line of attack for the adapters!!

Here is a site that praises the 6N7 tubes in audio circuits:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/02/tube-of-month-6n7.html

--JV--

A really interesting read, JV...looks like my (attempt at!
wink_face.gif
) comforting words a while back may not have been wishful thinking after all...it would indeed be great if these 6N7s turn out to be winners - I certainly hope so!

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,643 of 3,428
This unit looks perfect to pair with my Hegel HD12,  Liquid Carbon, and Ether set-up when I want the tube sound. It looks as if it was made for that setup. Same size as the DAC.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,644 of 3,428

They finally arrived today...and they're one gorgeous looking tube - especially for an old 'un, lol! And I cannot believe how much smaller they are than the Mullard ECC31. And luckily, that awful silver coating comes off easily - most succumbs to a rough, dry towel...the last spots to a damp nylon scouring pad (for non-stick pans...don't wanna scratch that lovely glass!).

Coincidentally, mine arrived today as well. And if we had any doubts that these rebranded RVC were actually manufactured by Philips Italy, to my mind, that bluish glass goes a long way to dispels it.

I haven't removed the silver coating... I don't know if I will... or not.... But I am pleased to report that mine lights up and plays on 12.6 volts. :)

And if anyone in EliseLand wants to run these, adapters are available on eBay. I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201418253970

However, I emphasize, it will be necessary to find a way to provide it with 0.35 amps at 13 volts +/- 10%.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2,645 of 3,428

Coincidentally, mine arrived today as well. And if we had any doubts that these rebranded RVC were actually manufactured by Philips Italy, to my mind, that bluish glass goes a long way to dispels it.

I haven't removed the silver coating... I don't know if I will... or not.... But I am pleased to report that mine lights up and plays on 12.6 volts. :)

And if anyone in EliseLand wants to run these, adapters are available on eBay. I bought this one:

However, I emphasize, it will be necessary to find a way to provide it with 0.35 amps at 13 volts +/- 10%.

gibosi how does it sound????

12.6 is close enough to 13 will run fine.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #2,646 of 3,428

Aaww, g...you beat me to it...(that's one Mother of an adapter, lol!). And am glad it works...but how WELL does it work? Please don't keep us in suspense for too long, mon ami!
wink.gif

ps.  For Heaven's sake, g...let the beauty of that tube shine out!!
tongue.gif

CHEERS! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,648 of 3,428
  Hi g.

Wow very interesting looking tube you've got there H! I love the blue hue on it, looks very mysterious. Let's hope it sounds as good as it looks. :D

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,649 of 3,428
  And yes, I shall have to use an external power supply...but this time instead of a cumbersome transformer/voltage regulator PS, I will try a much neater 12V laptop PS. You mentioned 13V +or-10%, so hopefully I should be OK (I noticed an article on the web re its use in an old radio (transmitter/receiver?) of some sort, and they stated 12V...).

I am pleased to report that mine lights up and plays on 12.6 volts. :)

12.6 is close enough to 13 will run fine.

In the Philips/Mullard/Euro nomenclature, F was for 12 volt (whether we call that 12, 12.6 or 13 V doesn't really matter) car battery tubes. (Very few F types exist, though!) They should be perfectly happy with anything between 12 V and 13 V.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,651 of 3,428
OK!  lol. I decided to remove the silver coating! However, rather than use a rough towel or a pot scrubber, I used an X-ACTO knife in the same way as I would use a razor blade to remove paint from windows. Quick and easy. However, as good as this tube looks in the light, unfortunately, it doesn't put on much of a light show... about the same as the ECC31.

How does it sound? I have only had it running for only a couple of hours (one with silver paint and one without) and I have been busy doing other things. However, I am not hearing anything bad. It's quiet. The tonal balance -- bass midrange and treble -- seems correct. But of course, it is way too soon to say more than this.... 

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2,652 of 3,428
^  That is one crazy looking adapter ^   
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,653 of 3,428
I'm excited seeing all this. A lot of ground breaking on tube rolling here. Great work H1 and G. Now I can see how handy your Glenn amp is with just an adapter from eBay.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,654 of 3,428

That is one colorful tube! Lovely photos as well. 
smile.gif

Thanks O...the first tube I have ever thought 'sexy', lol!
wink_face.gif
  (Edit - I lie...forgot the GEC CV2523!!)...and thanks for confirmation that 12V should do the trick.

Wow very interesting looking tube you've got there H! I love the blue hue on it, looks very mysterious. Let's hope it sounds as good as it looks. :D

Yea, R....that blue definitely adds a certain 'je ne sais quoi'!!  But of course she's got to sound sexy too...
L3000.gif

OK!  lol. I decided to remove the silver coating! However, rather than use a rough towel or a pot scrubber, I used an X-ACTO knife in the same way as I would use a razor blade to remove paint from windows. Quick and easy. However, as good as this tube looks in the light, unfortunately, it doesn't put on much of a light show... about the same as the ECC31.

How does it sound? I have only had it running for only a couple of hours (one with silver paint and one without) and I have been busy doing other things. However, I am not hearing anything bad. It's quiet. The tonal balance -- bass midrange and treble -- seems correct. But of course, it is way too soon to say more than this.... 

Now doesn't that look much better, g? And let's face it, in the flesh she doesn't need a glow IMHO!...(but she does cry out for a delicate companion...will do my best, lol! 
wink.gif
).

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2,655 of 3,428
  I feel missing comparisons with other tube-amps of same price/technology in this thread becoming very tube rolling oriented... Am I alone?
beerchug.gif

I hear you, a 1er....unfortunately, as yet there aren't many Elise owners with other amps to compare...the main contributors have already made their own comparisons in previous posts, or else full burn-in time isn't yet reached, preventing proper assessment.
The delays in production have also slowed things down of course...there should be a good few more such comparisons coming in the (hopefully!) not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, what better way to fill the void than the ever popular foray into tube land?...I do hope you understand this fetish - (it took me a VERY long time to fully grasp it, lol!
wink_face.gif
dt880smile.png
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back