Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,176 of 3,428
Sure, I've researched and tried many DACs. But it all depends on what you are looking for. What is your buget? Do you want an analytical or musical DAC. Solid state or tube? What kind of inputs do you need?

There are many more criteria but maybe if I knew a little bit what you were looking for I could give you some suggestions.

First of all, budget is not known. Sometimes I feel like throwing in all my money on a DAC to compliment Elise, next moment I just want to buy a tiny USB DAC. LOL

So far I have decided that, I don't need a tiny USB DAC, or a portable DAC. Moreover, I decided that it should have USB input of highest bit level 32/384, should also have line out and other connectivity for a future proof purchase like optical and coaxial. Must have a very decent power supply to compliment a dead quiet Elise. Can have Femto Clocks and Naked Resistors :D

In short, a USB DAC that is awesome.

I'm almost sold to Wyred4Sound DAC 1 DAC 2 :) Then there is Geek Pulse, very controversial DAC, mixed reviews.

PS No Chinese stuff, please!

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,177 of 3,428
  Some news from #011. I decided that it's time to pair the Elise with higher impedance cans. As my K712 have a decent bass boost already I was interested in a more neutral presentation... and went for the HD800. It took me two days (or better nights) to get "adjusted" to the treble but now I love them. Before pulling the trigger I was a bit afraid of the often described lack of bass and too strong focus on details (such that imperfections of the recording would become too dominant). Well, I am relieved that I feel the bass is perfectly fine and that, e.g., Gould's humming does not distract me too much. 011 is running on C3g-S (found a new pair for a decent price) and the Chatham 6520.

My LD Mk3 is on ebay now. Let's see if the K712 will follow.

WELL DONE! on the HD800s, n...you're now experiencing what the Elise is TRULY capable of!! 
wink.gif
(especially with that killer combination of tubes - well done also on those C3g'S's...not to mention the 6520s, lol!).

And yes, as with the Beyer T1s, HD800 + C3gS's amazing treble can take a bit of getting used to, but becomes addictive...
biggrin.gif

Do keep us informed of your detailed findings as everything burns in further...

CHEERS!

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #2,179 of 3,428
First of all, budget is not known. Sometimes I feel like throwing in all my money on a DAC to compliment Elise, next moment I just want to buy a tiny USB DAC. LOL

So far I have decided that, I don't need a tiny USB DAC, or a portable DAC. Moreover, I decided that it should have USB input of highest bit level 32/384, should also have line out and other connectivity for a future proof purchase like optical and coaxial. Must have a very decent power supply to compliment a dead quiet Elise. Can have Femto Clocks and Naked Resistors
biggrin.gif

In short, a USB DAC that is awesome.

I'm almost sold to Wyred4Sound DAC 1 DAC 2
smily_headphones1.gif
Then there is Geek Pulse, very controversial DAC, mixed reviews.

PS No Chinese stuff, please!

I agree, you should stay away from mini and most chinese dacs. If you really want an awsome, cost no object DAC ofcourse I would have to suggest the Didit DAC212 made right here in the Netherlands!
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/didit/1.html

It's not cheap ofcourse but, I was blown away by this DACs sound quality, even its built-in headphone output (with dedcated amp) sounds very good. Would be a nice match with Elise i would think :)

For more discussion on DACs lets do it via PM to not muck up the thread too much :wink:

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #2,180 of 3,428
  Soundstage is way bigger than the stock caps. Clarity and especially detail is much higher. It really took the amp to another level. Good quality recordings is a must though as these caps are very honest :)

That's my experience with Mundors caps too. The only caps I ever heard that sounded even Better were the Audio Note Silver. But, those are at least double the price. For my application as a power filter cap in the Wave 8 thye are probably over the top but I got such a good deal on these I just could not resist! 
tongue_smile.gif

By the way, tell us how you like the ECC33 tubes so far!
beyersmile.png

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #2,181 of 3,428
That's my experience with Mundors caps too. The only caps I ever heard that sounded even Better were the Audio Note Silver. But, those are at least double the price. For my application as a power filter cap in the Wave 8 thye are probably over the top but I got such a good deal on these I just could not resist! :tongue_smile:

By the way, tell us how you like the ECC33 tubes so far! :beyersmile:

Yes, they're nice caps for sure! :)

I'm on vacation in Spain, Fuerteventura, so haven't had much time to listen I'm afraid. I'll be home next week though. I'll try to do a comparison between my different ECC35's, the ECC33's and.......wait for it.......the ECC32! :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,182 of 3,428
Yes, they're nice caps for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on vacation in Spain, Fuerteventura, so haven't had much time to listen I'm afraid. I'll be home next week though. I'll try to do a comparison between my different ECC35's, the ECC33's and.......wait for it.......the ECC32!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would be very interested in that comparison! Time for a vacation to... Sweden!

So go back home right now! Just kidding, enjoy your vacation. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,183 of 3,428
I'm no expert on the subject, but I've been interested on this DAC for a while now: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex9/1.html And, for the price, I don't think it can be easily beat.

Still, you may want to open a new topic for that, you will likely get more opinions anyway.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,184 of 3,428

WELL DONE! on the HD800s, n...you're now experiencing what the Elise is TRULY capable of!! 
wink.gif
(especially with that killer combination of tubes - well done also on those C3g'S's...not to mention the 6520s, lol!).

And yes, as with the Beyer T1s, HD800 + C3gS's amazing treble can take a bit of getting used to, but becomes addictive...
biggrin.gif

Do keep us informed of your detailed findings as everything burns in further...

CHEERS!

There are only a few recordings where I find the treble a bit too dominant. But then I am currently tracking a pair of ECC31...

Btw, no progress on the hum front. The Elise still hums, even with the HD800. I applied Deoxit 100 but the only effect was that the tubes glide into the sockets very easily :) Maybe I have to ask a electrician to check what might cause the trouble. It's an old house, maybe something is screwed up here.

nephilim, did you test some anax mods variations on your hd800?

No mods yet - but I plan to follow Tyll's instructions when I have some time.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,185 of 3,428

Btw, no progress on the hum front. The Elise still hums, even with the HD800. I applied Deoxit 100 but the only effect was that the tubes glide into the sockets very easily :) Maybe I have to ask a electrician to check what might cause the trouble. It's an old house, maybe something is screwed up here.

No mods yet - but I plan to follow Tyll's instructions when I have some time.

Have you tried plugging it into a different electrical line? You probably have; just thought I'd check.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,186 of 3,428
Yes, I have - and I have found one outlet where the hum seems to be gone. Unfortuantely, I would have to move my listening sessions to the garden to use that outlet. There seems to be an issue inside the house.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2,187 of 3,428
Yes, I have - and I have found one outlet where the hum seems to be gone. Unfortuantely, I would have to move my listening sessions to the garden to use that outlet. There seems to be an issue inside the house.

You've probably tried floating the ground on the power cord, as well?

Chasing hum and buzz can become a lifetime occupation. Ask me how I know. lol

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2,188 of 3,428
Done that, too. I used two different DC offset filters (one DIY, one purchased) between the amp and the outlet - no effect. I lifted ground - again no effect. But then I am bored and look forward to lifetime occupations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back