Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,411 of 3,428
Thanks Mordy bro, I have sent this information to my friend. I have almost no chance to get this player, he is coming back on 11th and I am not sure if he will do any effort to goto this WH. But still, I will keep trying.

Thanks again, I have bookmarked this site :)

I have recently subscribed to a service called shop and ship, it will help me get stuff from US. It gets very expensive when the stuff is heavy. Like oppo is 8 KG. Small stuff is like local shipment.

Quote:
  Hi L R,

We don't give up so fast - there is a Hi Fi Record and Equipment store in Chicago called MusicDirect. According to their website they have the Oppo 105 in stock.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/music-direct-chicago

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-178526-oppo-bdp-105-darbee-edition-universal-blu-rayplayer.aspx

Edit
  1. 1811 W Bryn Mawr Ave
    Chicago, IL 60660

b/t Ravenswood Ave & Wolcott Ave
    Lincoln Square
  2. Get Directions
  3. Phone number (312) 433-0200

Good Luck!

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,413 of 3,428
Excitement builds up while waiting for my Elise to be shipped. I already received the 7N7 adapters and ordered two pairs of Sylvanias (tall and short) yesterday. Ready to go :)

I'd be very curious what you think of the tall bottle vs the short.

I want to emphasis the ridiculously long burnin for the 7N7. This being said, it seems like the Elise takes quite a bit more than 50 hours to fully come into its own, so if you start with the 7N7s, both should be ready to go at about the same time.

IME, a new Elise with NOS 7N7s at first sounds a bit lean, somewhat bright, and a little sibilant. All that changes as the components burnin.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,414 of 3,428
 001 has a few spare parts and is kind enough to make me a set of adapters, as well. After reading your post, I''m borderline salivating.

001 has done a great job on these adaptors utilizing hints from others and doing his own experiments. I'm so glad Hypnos1 made these for me and auditioned their sound. I'm really curious to hear your about your experience with these!

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,415 of 3,428
A question for those who have been able to play around with the amp; Do you guys reckon the Elise can power LCD-2s properly?

I'm visiting Hawaii in september and I'm contemplating having a pair of LCD-2s shipped to the hotel. They're $500(!) cheaper in the states than I could get them for over here.

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,416 of 3,428
A question for those who have been able to play around with the amp; Do you guys reckon the Elise can power LCD-2s properly?

I'm visiting Hawaii in september and I'm contemplating having a pair of LCD-2s shipped to the hotel. They're $500(!) cheaper in the states than I could get them for over here.

Congratulations on the new cans!

Let me say from the start that I have not heard any of Audeze models with the Elise. Not sure if any of the owners have. Going solely on naive specs - I already hate myself for it - and comparing the power necessary to get my bass-modded K702s going (their nominal impedance is almost the same as the LCD-2), the Elise should drive your cans well, provided you're not listening at very loud levels. Mind you, this is an educated guess. Wish I could tell you for sure. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,417 of 3,428

Hi A123.

Congratulations on your choice of the Elise...I sincerely believe there isn't an OTL amp out there that can match this one for anywhere near this kind of money - especially with no Customs/VAT extras for us in the EU, lol!

But I'm afraid I must ask if you are absolutely sold on the LCD-2s?...I have a feeling that most of the "big boys" would say that OTL amps are not the best for doing full justice to these cans. And from my VERY brief listen at the Cambridge meet I suspect they could well be right.

Of course, headphone preference and subsequent choice must be one of the most contentious (and difficult!) areas in hi-fi land, but I strongly recommend doing a lot more research into your own choice before committing yourself in Sept.

I personally have the Beyer T1s - as do 2 other Elise owners - and I have to say my initial experience with the LCD-2s (in comparison to the Beyers) was less than exciting, unfortunately. The amp is able to drive them with relative ease - having been configured to handle low-z cans better than normally expected from an OTL - but they just didn't give the same magic that the Elise is truly capable of IMHO. Naturally personal preference comes into play here, but I felt the LCD-2s lacked the spaciousness/"air"/detail separation/'holographic' sound of the T1s (which are just some of the qualities that put the Beyers in a totally different league to the HD650s)...

Now, the LCD XCs in A11's Questyle Current Mode Amp were different again - MUCH better, but wow - the price and WEIGHT!!...wasn't able to hear them in my Elise though, sadly...

So, mon ami, I really don't want to rain on your parade, but it would be remiss of me not to mention these things...at least so you can weigh up the pros and cons just a little more before spending a lot of money...

Whatever, I wish you all the best with your choice...not to mention your upcoming experience with this wonderful amp...
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,418 of 3,428
so the Elise aint great for the LCD2?...arrrghhhh.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,419 of 3,428
  so the Elise aint great for the LCD2?...arrrghhhh.

SORRY, L...but I could just be wrong lol!!... (needs someone to give a full, proper audition...).

However, if you're a fan of the LCD sound you've GOT to go for the XCs.....or else the T1s?...SELL those 2s!!...
wink_face.gif

ps. If you do the necessary, I promise you access to a nice pair of NOS Lorenz C3gs complete with MKII adapters...but no gold, however!!...
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,420 of 3,428
  But I'm afraid I must ask if you are absolutely sold on the LCD-2s?...I have a feeling that most of the "big boys" would say that OTL amps are not the best for doing full justice to these cans. And from my VERY brief listen at the Cambridge meet I suspect they could well be right.

I think they offer the most logical upgrade from HD650s. That said, I was afraid they wouldn't be driven to their full potential using an OTL amp. It seems a disservice to both the 'phones and the amp to mismatch two great things and end up with a setup which is simply good. I think you're right - no LCD-2s for now.

I might demo a pair of T1s after I've had some time to play around with the Elise and the HD650s. I've always been scared of the brightness, but your enthusiastic ramblings on the T1 have piqued my interest
normal_smile .gif

Besides...There's nothing stopping me from building a second headphone setup in the future with some LCD-2s and another amp
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,421 of 3,428

I think they offer the most logical upgrade from HD650s. That said, I was afraid they wouldn't be driven to their full potential using an OTL amp. It seems a disservice to both the 'phones and the amp to mismatch two great things and end up with a setup which is simply good. I think you're right - no LCD-2s for now.

I might demo a pair of T1s after I've had some time to play around with the Elise and the HD650s. I've always been scared of the brightness, but your enthusiastic ramblings on the T1 have piqued my interest
normal_smile%20.gif

Besides...There's nothing stopping me from building a second headphone setup in the future with some LCD-2s and another amp
wink_face.gif

Hi again A123.

I really am sorry if I poured cold water on the LCD 2s - and your Sept. hopes. Don't forget this was my own personal impression...it would be great if you were able to (somehow!) demo a pair along with the T1s to get a REALLY good idea of the pros and cons - of BOTH!

As for T1 cons there are very few indeed, as far as I'm concerned...along with many other lucky owners it appears. The only possible achilles heel is indeed the "brightness" you mentioned. But their wonderful treble extension/clarity/detail is precisely what helps deliver the delicious 'sparkle', spacious airiness and holographic sound I mentioned before. At first it actually comes as a bit of a shock straight after the 650s, but after 'acclimatising' becomes totally addictive!... True, recordings that have been poorly engineered by some idiot who thinks more is better in the treble arena - as opposed to the equally idiotic (IMO!) hyper-bass-head - can become rather harsh in the T1s...but I do believe it's not fair to then blame the cans, lol! 

So I suppose the type of music one prefers will have a bearing on the suitability of these headphones, but then again there are ways of dampening them if absolutely necessary (plus of course through careful tube selection). Also, one's sensitivity to high frequencies will play its part, naturally...

Hopefully you will indeed be able to 'try before you buy', or beg/steal/borrow even!  
wink_face.gif

GOOD LUCK, whatever...

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,422 of 3,428
The Lyr 2 will probably be better for LCD 2.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,425 of 3,428
  More generally, if a tube-based amp is desirable, a hybrid amp, like the Lyr, or transformer coupled, like the Woo WA22, would likely be the best way to go if using low-Z cans.

what about the WA6SE...suitable for low Z ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back