Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 25, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #8,281 of 13,856
Your quad is sold? LOL I checked my Mazda in UT's Elise and there was no distortion. Don't remember what tubes we listened to in powers lol

Mazda sound is addictive though, jazz sounds so good. It'll be hard for me to part with them. Distortion appears only at very high volumes. I cannot stand that high level of music.

Same problem I had. Sold my 4 Mazdas and my 5998s.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,282 of 13,856
The best Jazz sound through Mazda 6N7G and Chatham 6AS7G. However, I cannot go loud, there's distortion or clipping. Average volume listening is least fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm in love with 6N7G sound for Jazz music. Mazda does not pair well with 5998 cause again, huge gain causes clipping in sound
smily_headphones1.gif

:beers: to all the lucky ones

Some time ago the idea was raised to replace the twin (parallel) triode 6N7G tube with two single triode 6C5G tubes analogues. That would require duo adapters, and was never tested. Reading the above, a single 6C5G could actually be a better approach: half the gain. Does this make sense? Anyone has two of these tubes already to try it out? The pinouts of 6N7G and 6C5G seem to be identical .

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #8,283 of 13,856
I had an Oppo Ha1 before I got the Elise. I liked the unit as a whole, but the sabre dac was its weak point. It really wasn't very good. Glad I got rid of it. The Elise and the Hegel absolutely kill it.

Interesting, aqsw....it obviously wasn't as well-implemented as in my Audiolab, lol!
wink_face.gif
...wonder if - nay hope! - it was also better configured in the BDP105...
tongue.gif

For fans of Loreena, like hypnos1 and Untilthen I give you one of my favorites................

Very haunting - and lovely - piece, connie....thanks : "Parallel Dreams" is indeed yet another fabulous album. So far (and@arie123) my count is also "Book of Secrets"; "An Ancient Muse"; "Mask and the Mirror" and "The Visit". Have yet to hear "Elemental", but I love them all so far. At the moment, I suppose the one that's blown me away the most is Ancient Muse...but that could easily change with repeat listens, lol!
wink_face.gif
  My favourite single track - again, at present! - has to be "Dante's Prayer", from Book of Secrets...but are all those strange background noises in the early bars common to all versions?!!
rolleyes.gif
...love it, nonetheless!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #8,286 of 13,856
Hi @mordy...am glad you and JV are loving your 6BL7s, and the thought of comparing a six-pack to my GECs is indeed very tempting, lol!
However, I'm afraid this is "a step too far" for me personally...for several reasons :

1. As I mentioned recently, I do not recognise in my own set-up any of the so-called 'limitations'/veils associated with the 6AS7G (which would also be challenged by many over at the 6AS7G thread, with far greater experience than I, lol!).

2. I made a vow to myself (and Lukasz!) that I would not be veering too far off the original Elise path - the whole ethos was to move away from the more extreme modding that the Little Dots had reached. I fully intended to move onto the C3g driver, knowing that it would not be too drastic a mod - so long as the tube could in fact be got to work!...and work it did, with Glenn's help. Similarly with the ECC31, no drastic action was needed. I was a little reticent about the FDD20, needing the external 12V PS, but luckily this could be fairly easily - and neatly - achieved with the laptop-style PS/charger. And its performance made this very worthwhile. And once again, the EL3N merely needs an adapter to work well. The requirements for 6x 6BL7 powers go beyond what I am personally prepared to entertain, alas.

3. You know from days past, mordy, that I'm a "nice 'n neat" guy...I'll say no more, lol!
wink_face.gif

4.  The total cost involved does in fact mount up, and I feel I have reached the limit of my expenditure on tubes...over-reached, in fact!!

And so I must pass on this one, mon ami...but I wish you all the best in your own endeavours....ENJOY!!
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,289 of 13,856

Interesting, aqsw....it obviously wasn't as well-implemented as in my Audiolab, lol!
wink_face.gif
...wonder if - nay hope! - it was also better configured in the BDP105...
tongue.gif

Very haunting - and lovely - piece, connie....thanks : "Parallel Dreams" is indeed yet another fabulous album. So far (and@arie123) my count is also "Book of Secrets"; "An Ancient Muse"; "Mask and the Mirror" and "The Visit". Have yet to hear "Elemental", but I love them all so far. At the moment, I suppose the one that's blown me away the most is Ancient Muse...but that could easily change with repeat listens, lol!
wink_face.gif
  My favourite single track - again, at present! - has to be "Dante's Prayer", from Book of Secrets...but are all those strange background noises in the early bars common to all versions?!!
rolleyes.gif
...love it, nonetheless!
biggrin.gif

The lead in to Dante's Prayer is from the St. Petersburg Chamber Choir, Nikolai Korniev it is an excerp for Alleluia, Behold the Bridegroom.on Philips .  If you like the intro to Dante's check out the cd, the choir is amazing, the noises are from the church stage I would imagine. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #8,290 of 13,856
  Thanks Connie. Here's one for you. 
L3000.gif

I wish I had a dollar for every time I listened to this piece, one of my favorites.  Thanks good to hear a new version.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #8,291 of 13,856

The lead in to Dante's Prayer is from the St. Petersburg Chamber Choir, Nikolai Korniev it is an excerp for Alleluia, Behold the Bridegroom.on Philips .  If you like the intro to Dante's check out the cd, the choir is amazing, the noises are from the church stage I would imagine. 

Aha, connie....that would explain a few things - I could have sworn I detected some "basso profondo" in there...a delectable register (especially when it's Russian!)...
biggrin.gif

And as I love massed Russian voices, I surely have to give that CD a look....THANKS!

Now it's time for a few tracks from "Elemental" before zzzzzzzzz
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,292 of 13,856
  Hi @mordy...am glad you and JV are loving your 6BL7s, and the thought of comparing a six-pack to my GECs is indeed very tempting, lol!
However, I'm afraid this is "a step too far" for me personally...for several reasons :

1. As I mentioned recently, I do not recognise in my own set-up any of the so-called 'limitations'/veils associated with the 6AS7G (which would also be challenged by many over at the 6AS7G thread, with far greater experience than I, lol!).

2. I made a vow to myself (and Lukasz!) that I would not be veering too far off the original Elise path - the whole ethos was to move away from the more extreme modding that the Little Dots had reached. I fully intended to move onto the C3g driver, knowing that it would not be too drastic a mod - so long as the tube could in fact be got to work!...and work it did, with Glenn's help. Similarly with the ECC31, no drastic action was needed. I was a little reticent about the FDD20, needing the external 12V PS, but luckily this could be fairly easily - and neatly - achieved with the laptop-style PS/charger. And its performance made this very worthwhile. And once again, the EL3N merely needs an adapter to work well. The requirements for 6x 6BL7 powers go beyond what I am personally prepared to entertain, alas.

3. You know from days past, mordy, that I'm a "nice 'n neat" guy...I'll say no more, lol!
wink_face.gif

4.  The total cost involved does in fact mount up, and I feel I have reached the limit of my expenditure on tubes...over-reached, in fact!!

And so I must pass on this one, mon ami...but I wish you all the best in your own endeavours....ENJOY!!
L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

You really should try the dual 6BL7 adapters total of 6 amps with C3gs at .37 amp each that adds up to 6.74 amps no nasty power supply needed.
The SQ of these tubes is much better then any 6AS7 voltage regulator tube being used for audio.
I know I used the 6AS7 in my amps too that is why I started making a amp that can use 6BL7s. The difference in sound is mind blowing.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #8,293 of 13,856
Hi 2359glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion - said and done!

IMG_0470.JPG

The Elise is taking off with a pair of Siemens C3gS in the pilot seats powered by four Sylvania 6BL7GTA/GT engines. (C3g adapters courtesy of h1).

First impression: Very powerful bass and extended treble. Completely agree with you about the superiority of the 6BL7 over the 6AS7 tubes.

Before this I used the EL3N as drivers - did you have a chance to listen to the EL3N combination with the 6BL7 tubes?

The sound is different, but not different in the detail presentation. The C3g seems more on the analytical side; the EL3N is warmer. Need more time to adjust my brain to this sound and figure out my impressions. The C3g certainly is a much cleaner installation than the EL3N with external power and large adapters.

Do you think that 6 x 6BL7 will improve the SQ compared to 4 x 6BL7?

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #8,294 of 13,856
  Hi 2359glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion - said and done!

IMG_0470.JPG

The Elise is taking off with a pair of Siemens C3gS in the pilot seats powered by four Sylvania 6BL7GTA/GT engines. (C3g adapters courtesy of h1).

First impression: Very powerful bass and extended treble. Completely agree with you about the superiority of the 6BL7 over the 6AS7 tubes.

Before this I used the EL3N as drivers - did you have a chance to listen to the EL3N combination with the 6BL7 tubes?

The sound is different, but not different in the detail presentation. The C3g seems more on the analytical side; the EL3N is warmer. Need more time to adjust my brain to this sound and figure out my impressions. The C3g certainly is a much cleaner installation than the EL3N with external power and large adapters.

Do you think that 6 x 6BL7 will improve the SQ compared to 4 x 6BL7?

Personally I like the clean sound of the C3g.

In my amps three 6BL7s sound better but it is a much different output circuit then the Elise has. 2 might be enough in the Elise                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #8,295 of 13,856
Any concensus on c3g manufacturer, have seen Siemens and Telefunken, and with the 4 6bl7's would I need an external power adapter, got a long wait for Elise ordered about 2/10/2016 no word on confirmation, so I thought I would get a few things ready.  Original thought was to use for about a month stock and then proceed, but the new reviews are intriguing.  Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back