Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #8,251 of 13,856
Oh man....I am going to be all in on those 3X 6BL7 to use as powers......I have been waiting for this.....hoping it would happen!

Very nice.....THANK YOU  :D

Note the 3x per 6AS7 adapter Suuup links to, is specific to the Elise. I'm sure Mrs Xuling will be happy to produce them as 3x per 6AS7 octal socket (for use in a Glenn or Darkvoice etc) if you ask her to make them.

Do you know what the current capacity is, in your Glenn, @Whirlwind?

Enjoy!

:p

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #8,252 of 13,856
Hello Suuup....

Very nice! Mrs Xuling contacted me last night and said it was ready. I have one, incoming :)

I asked her for one set of heater wires, exiting the rear of the adapter. This one has two sets, exiting the front, but appear to both go to the same terminals on the board. When I get mine, I will determine the feasibility one cutting one set out. Looks like you could also route it under the plastic cover and come out the rear. That is what I hope to do.

But, looks good, I like the low profile, will be more stable/solid spanning the two 6AS7 sockets.

@Suuup, the place where I got my Transformer has a dizzying array of Transformers. I would see if they have one for your mains voltage, get the part number and look around, and see if you can find one in Europe.

The Transformer is one serious piece of kit! Very well made, heavy duty, if you run out of current with this baby supplying, you should _not_ be listening with headphones, but wearing a hard hat, instead :)

Link to the Transformer again:
http://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/

Cheers, peeps!

Try running 6x 6AS7G.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,253 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Really looking forward to see how the bridge sextuplet adapter works out! By measuring my Elise it seems that this bridge adapter will protrude about one inch on each side.

6 x 6AS7? 15A of current draw. Add in 20% for in rush current and you end up with 18A - should be doable for your transformer.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #8,254 of 13,856
Looking for info on these tubes......Thomson-CFS NOS/NIB 6080WA black plates tubes - France.  Any thoughts, recomendations?

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #8,255 of 13,856
Hi JV,

Really looking forward to see how the bridge sextuplet adapter works out! By measuring my Elise it seems that this bridge adapter will protrude about one inch on each side.

6 x 6AS7? 15A of current draw. Add in 20% for in rush current and you end up with 18A - should be doable for your transformer.

Hello Mordy...

I tried 1x 6BL7 and 1x Chatham 6AS7 for each 6AS7 socket, last night...

As soon as you add a 6AS7, the "magic" that the 6BL7 brings to this amp, is destroyed.

The details and instrument spacing that the 6BL7 brings are masked by the 6AS7. You get nice sounding "blobs" via 6AS7, they sound good, but subtle details and tight articulation in the bass gets buried.

In changing back to 2x 6BL7's per 6AS7 socket, the added mid and high freq details return. Bass goes deeper and is far more controlled / articulated.
The larger sense of room/air/space between instruments is also realized.

Will report on 3x 6BL7's per 6AS7 socket when I get the new adapter, am expecting more goodness :)

Might even try 6x 6BL7's as powers and 2x 6BL7's as drivers!

That would be: 15 amps running, and 18 amps for the "20% inrush" - also doable with the external 20 amp 6.3 volt transformer.

Cheers!

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #8,256 of 13,856
  Looking for info on these tubes......Thomson-CFS NOS/NIB 6080WA black plates tubes - France.  Any thoughts, recomendations?

I have a pair of them, and for the money (inexpensive) they are very good. I am partial to 6080s though, as they are tubes that my amp actually likes.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #8,257 of 13,856
Thanks, just ordered a pair from parts connexion thought I better get some new tubes while waiting on Elise to be built

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,258 of 13,856
Hello Mordy...

I tried 1x 6BL7 and 1x Chatham 6AS7 for each 6AS7 socket, last night...

As soon as you add a 6AS7, the "magic" that the 6BL7 brings to this amp, is destroyed.

The details and instrument spacing that the 6BL7 brings are masked by the 6AS7. You get nice sounding "blobs" via 6AS7, they sound good, but subtle details and tight articulation in the bass gets buried.

In changing back to 2x 6BL7's per 6AS7 socket, the added mid and high freq details return. Bass goes deeper and is far more controlled / articulated.
The larger sense of room/air/space between instruments is also realized.

Will report on 3x 6BL7's per 6AS7 socket when I get the new adapter, am expecting more goodness :)

Might even try 6x 6BL7's as powers and 2x 6BL7's as drivers!

That would be: 15 amps running, and 18 amps for the "20% inrush" - also doable with the external 20 amp 6.3 volt transformer.

Cheers!

tongue.gif

C'mon JV...that's a non-starter from the off, lol!...not a true and fair view of the 6AS7G in Elise!!
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #8,261 of 13,856
You may want to look at the Yulong DACs.  I have the DA8 and DA8 II and am really impressed with their performance with the Elise.  Of course you would need to buy used.

Also, I've heard the Hegel HD12 is stunning with the Elise.

On that note, everyones tastes are different so I would recommend you listen before you buy or purchase with a no questions asked return policy.
Ok after bringing home 5 different dacs decided nothing sounded significantly better than my Music Streamer II under $500 then $700, so wanting to upgrade my Blu-ray player I decided to step it up and bought the Oppo bdp-105d and it sounds incredible! Still waiting on my Elise ordered it on 12/17. Lukasz said I'm #2 in production slot on 2/8 so I'm NOT patiently waiting. :) Can't wait to join in the fun of tube rolling.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #8,262 of 13,856
My ears, my gear YMMV.

Don't think you have tried multi 6BL7's, have you, H1?

You might be surprised at what you hear, when and if, you do
wink_face.gif

tongue.gif

Hi JV.

Multi 6BL7s may well appeal to some, to be sure, but as I don't recognise any of the 'apparent' shortcomings in my own set-up, I'm afraid I'm leaving behind the "Frankensteining" of my LittleDot days - I love Elise as (basically) she is, albeit with non-stock EL3N drivers...to each his/her own, lol
tongue.gif

It will be interesting to see how 6x 6BL7 fare in Elise, as opposed to Glenn's amp that was specifically configured for their use. Perhaps she will pull off yet another miracle!
darthsmile.gif

ps. It's just the 6BL7/6AS7G dualling (duelling!) that threw me, lol!!
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #8,263 of 13,856
Ok after bringing home 5 different dacs decided nothing sounded significantly better than my Music Streamer II under $500 then $700, so wanting to upgrade my Blu-ray player I decided to step it up and bought the Oppo bdp-105d and it sounds incredible! Still waiting on my Elise ordered it on 12/17. Lukasz said I'm #2 in production slot on 2/8 so I'm NOT patiently waiting. :) Can't wait to join in the fun of tube rolling.

Good choice on the Oppo, nojdrof...I believe it has basically the same ESS Sabre DAC as in my Audiolab8200CD player (and obviously as well-implemented - if not better!). So I can understand your glee, lol
biggrin.gif
...I could kick myself for not going for the 105 instead of my 103 (with the Wolfson DAC), which just doesn't have the same 'excitement' as the Sabre, alas....wouldn't have needed the Audiolab!!
redface.gif
...ENJOY!!
L3000.gif

Glad you'll soon be experiencing even further joy when your Elise arrives....
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8,265 of 13,856
Hi JV.

Multi 6BL7s may well appeal to some, to be sure, but as I don't recognise any of the 'apparent' shortcomings in my own set-up, I'm afraid I'm leaving behind the "Frankensteining" of my LittleDot days - I love Elise as (basically) she is, albeit with non-stock EL3N drivers...to each his/her own, lol :p ...

It will be interesting to see how 6x 6BL7 fare in Elise, as opposed to Glenn's amp that was specifically configured for their use. Perhaps she will pull off yet another miracle! :darthsmile:

ps. It's just the 6BL7/6AS7G dualling (duelling!) that threw me, lol!! :wink: ...

Hello H1...

Not to worry the "Frankenstein Look" will be resolved in a few days.

I have no doubt 6x 6BL7's as powers will bring 'more goodness" to the Elise party. Shame about external power, but 'no pain, no gain', as they say. Too bad, no 20 amp heater option from the factory, 'eh?

I do wish you would try multi 6BL7's so that you can have an understanding of what is literally 'not heard' using the 6AS7 family of tubes.

You will be in instant convert, no doubt :)

Cheerio....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back