Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8,237 of 13,856

We bring you this photographic double feature (in atrocious quality because we only care about the sound quality).

Elise feeling shy

Elise having a dinkel

Wot, no Coors, Heineken, Lowenbrau...FFFFOSTERS, lol?!!!
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #8,238 of 13,856
  I bought the Fivre 6N7G as well. I was the only one bidding. I need to find out for myself for the same brand whether there is a difference between 6A6 and 6N7G.

This is a post for Fivre 6N7G wannahaves...

Later Elise buyers like me (3 more weeks (or more?) of desperate waiting ahead ... ) have probably been looking for these Fivre 6N7G tubes on e.g. Ebay. They are hard to find! Untilthen established that 6A6 tubes with the same top construction with the 'horns'' sound the same. The good thing: these are a lot cheaper. The bad thing: these 6A6 (was it Visseaux and/or Fivre?) are also no longer to be found on Ebay. Or are they..

I stumbled on some 6A6 tubes on Ebay (left in the picture), labeled as Ultron. On the right is a Fivre 6N7G.

Ultron is a German relabeler of (mostly) European tubes. As you can see, the top construction is fully identical. I bought 4, of which 2 turned out to have brown bases, two were black but the interior was always the same. Look for 6A6 in combination with the word mixed on ebay and you will find them. These are 12 euro's each...Don't forget to mention you want the Ultrons specifically. I have no possibility to test the tubes but I have no doubt that the construction is fully identical. Only the getter shows very minor differences.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #8,240 of 13,856
A thread that has pictures of Elise with C3G and GEC 6080WA and Finnish beer gets my attention all the time.
wink_face.gif
  Furthermore the picture of the Ultron and Fivre 6A6 makes me smile now. Great find Arie. They do sound lovely. Now those brown base, eager to hear from you when you get your Elise if they sound different to the black base.

Oskari, what C3Gs are those? I'll be getting Arie's Valvo C3G/s .... if they make it across the oceans in a sailboat. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #8,242 of 13,856
   Furthermore the picture of the Ultron and Fivre 6A6 makes me smile now. Great find Arie. They do sound lovely. Now those brown base, eager to hear from you when you get your Elise if they sound different to the black base.

Oskari, what C3Gs are those? I'll be getting Arie's Valvo C3G/s .... if they make it across the oceans in a sailboat. 

I would be very surprised to find any differences between black and brown base but I will report on this later.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #8,244 of 13,856
I've a pair of Lorenz too but with the shield removed. In other news, my replacement GE 6BL7GTA from Vivatubes came. This time I selected NOS NIB and gleaming like new. :) Dave from Vivatubes is amazing. He told me he will reimbursed me fully for the humming pair that I'm sending back to him...shipping all paid for by him both ways. What a champ. Guys ..... buy from Vivatubes with confidence.

Set up to run my intended combo 2x6N23P and 4x6BL7 without external power supply. 1st good news is the 6BL7 light up with a nice glow. 2nd good news is there is no hum. Pure silence. Excellent. :) 

Just one song from The Hunter album by Jennifer Warnes. ..'Rock You Gently'. This song has solid bass. Pretty good for 1st song and hardly burn in. Now to mow the lawn. 

Later. 
wink_face.gif

Oh I listened with HD650...in case it blows up my headphone. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #8,245 of 13,856
Alright had a bit more testing with 4x6BL7 with various drivers. At this stage it's more of what works rather than an evaluation session. Tubes needed to be burn in more before I do an evaluation.

So far I've tried with:-

• 2 x Voshkod 6N23P and 4 x GE 6BL7 GTA
  • 2 x RCA 6BQ7A and 4 x GE 6BL7 GTA
  • 2 x RCA 6SN7GTB coin base and 4 x GE 6BL7 GTA

All works without problems. A big disclaimer here. Number 3 is way over Elise total heater threshold of 6.5A. So you do so at your own risk if you're not using external power supply. I'd probably say up to 6.8A is ok but number 3 is sitting at 7.2A. However much to my surprise, there seem to be no untoward issue running #3 for the duration of 5 songs !!! A greater surprise...Elise is not even warm when I touch the transformer housing at the end of 5 songs.

Number 2 is a surprise. It sounded very good. Well I shouldn't be surprised. They use the 6BQ7A as a driver in the DNA Stratus with great results.

That's it for now and the mandatory picture of 6SN7 with 6BL7.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #8,246 of 13,856
Here is the 20 amp 6.3 volt secondary transformer:

Looks like Frankenstein-ish now, but I have some bits and pieces on the way that will make it look nice and neat.

Dare I say that I am NOT over my Elise's heating capacity :)

Heard from Mrs Xuling, she has the boards and is working in the 3x per 6AS7G (6 total) 6BL7 "bridge" adapter.

Very much looking forward to the "bank" of 6BL7's as powers.

Spent a couple of hours this weekend revisiting Chatham 6AS7G as powers to the Sylvania 1940's 6SN7's.
Sounded great. But I am absolutely certain that 6AS7G masks mid and high freq details, that multi 6BL7's bring to the party.

Also noted the 6BL7's heat up much faster with the 20 amp supply.
Not using any rectifier, 6.3 volt secondary in AC form. There are three wires coming off the secondary transformer
tap.

(2) Green are 6.3 volts of AC, a yellow/green wire goes to ground and boom, totally silent much quieter than using DC (which was a big surprise).

Highly recommend this Transformer to extend your tube rolling possibilities.
Wish this had been a factory upgrade option, in fact...

Cheers...

:p

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #8,247 of 13,856

Looks like Frankenstein-ish now, but I have some bits and pieces on the way that will make it look nice and neat.

Heard from Mrs Xuling, she has the boards and is working in the 3x per 6AS7G (6 total) 6BL7 "bridge" adapter.

Spent a couple of hours this weekend revisiting Chatham 6AS7G as powers to the Sylvania 1940's 6SN7's.
Sounded great. But I am absolutely certain that 6AS7G masks mid and high freq details, that multi 6BL7's bring to the party.

Not using any rectifier, 6.3 volt secondary in AC form. There are three wires coming off the secondary transformer
tap.

(2) Green are 6.3 volts of AC, a yellow/green wire goes to ground and boom, totally silent much quieter than using DC (which was a big surprise).

Cheers...

tongue.gif

Oh man....I am going to be all in on those 3X 6BL7 to use as powers......I have been waiting for this.....hoping it would happen!

Very nice.....THANK YOU  
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #8,248 of 13,856

tap.

Cheers...

tongue.gif

JV, it seems the adapter is ready! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6-6BL7-TO-2-6AS7-Tube-adapter-For-Elise-by-Feliks-Audio-/191812681690?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

I want to get a transformer like that. I have find one in Europe. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #8,249 of 13,856
...... I want to get a transformer like that. I have find one in Europe. 

to get a similar transformer 3.15V 20A 0 3.15V 20A built by hammond give a look at mouser :
http://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/266V6B/?qs=gF4h2Znc3LDQ2Zdtz5YrTw%3d%3d
It does not have any shielding but a metalic cabinet is enough for such usage.

In US (115V world) you can get Triad transformer but none are built for European usage where standard 234V is used :frowning2:

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #8,250 of 13,856
JV, it seems the adapter is ready! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6-6BL7-TO-2-6AS7-Tube-adapter-For-Elise-by-Feliks-Audio-/191812681690?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

I want to get a transformer like that. I have find one in Europe. 

Hello Suuup....

Very nice! Mrs Xuling contacted me last night and said it was ready. I have one, incoming :)

I asked her for one set of heater wires, exiting the rear of the adapter. This one has two sets, exiting the front, but appear to both go to the same terminals on the board. When I get mine, I will determine the feasibility one cutting one set out. Looks like you could also route it under the plastic cover and come out the rear. That is what I hope to do.

But, looks good, I like the low profile, will be more stable/solid spanning the two 6AS7 sockets.

@Suuup, the place where I got my Transformer has a dizzying array of Transformers. I would see if they have one for your mains voltage, get the part number and look around, and see if you can find one in Europe.

The Transformer is one serious piece of kit! Very well made, heavy duty, if you run out of current with this baby supplying, you should _not_ be listening with headphones, but wearing a hard hat, instead :)

Link to the Transformer again:
http://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/

Cheers, peeps!

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back