Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 2, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #3,391 of 13,856
  I'm absolutely sure it's from shock / vibration. I learned pretty quickly that one shouldn't keep his phone near the Elise, as it induces a lot of noise. This is what those cone feet are for? I was wondering why people installed spikes beneath their amps. Makes more sense now. I have to get myself an anti vibration mat, but the only ones I can find are for washing machines, and they're quite ugly all of them. Do you have any recommendations? Can we actually use those cone / spike feet for the Elise?

Edit: Would these work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-D39mm-Sound-Isolation-Feet-Speaker-Spikes-Audio-Cones-HiFi-Mounts-/252071195339. How do you mount those?

Again I'm the hum free, vibration free one. I put my mobile phone right next to Elise and I get no feedback at all. I might have to teach Elise how to use the phone. With the 6N7 though I feel vibration when my finger touch the metal shield. 

As such I have no need for cones except I might like a set of gold feet to make it look bling. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3,392 of 13,856

Hey pct...with those tubes you have, you won't need any more - guaranteed!!...(apart from a nice pair of GEC/Osram CV2523/A1834!!...just mortgage the house, lol!
wink_face.gif
...).

CHEERS!...

My wife just told me I'm not allowed to google any more tubes for the next 3 months )))

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,393 of 13,856

I'm not familiar with those particular cones, but most cones like that do not actually "mount". You would just balance your Elise on the cones with the points facing down. The bases sit on your table and the cone points fit into the holes. Some people might suggest it would be better to use only 3 of the cones rather than 4. This opens up a great new horizon. We can start an Elise cone rolling thread ))))  https://www.gcaudio.com/templates/isolation%20devices.html

I'm not sure how these cones work. It seems to me vibration would still be able to pass through the cones? Are there any consensus regarding what materials are better than others? I can find both stainless steel, silver, copper and brass. 

Interesting about using only 3 cones. It makes sense that it would be better. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be using only 3. I sometimes have to put quite a lot of pressure to put in new tubes. I'd be afraid the Elise would tip. I guess that could be accounted for though. 

I'm skeptical about these feet, but I ordered a pair anyway. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Turntable-Hi-Fi-Isolation-Feet-Gold-Plated-Audio-Isolating-Cones-ISOFEE02-/151281295046?hash=item2339115ec6:g:9IcAAOxycD9TT90G These are the ones I got, since they're from the UK, and there'll be no import tax. Hope they work!

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,394 of 13,856

OMG I want those gold feet NOW.

3 Turntable & Hi Fi Isolation Feet - Gold Plated Audio Isolating Cones with Floor or Shelf Protection Shoes
  1. Height-adjustable spike for critical audio isolation
  2. Suitable for use under turntables and other audio devices
  3. May be used under speaker cabinets
  4. Gold plated finish
  5. Supplied as a set of 3 spikes and 3 floor protection shoes

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,395 of 13,856

LOL @pctazhp. I saw the seller have 10 left yesterday but 4 now lol. How did it go so fast? You don't need the voltage regulator if you're just running 1 or 2 FDD20. That is needed if you want to step down to 6.3V with the power supply you bought for the 6BL7 tubes.

Welcome to the club that buys tubes ready before Elise arrives. 
biggrin.gif

Glad I don't have to worry about the regulator. It looks intimidating ))

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #3,396 of 13,856
  Again I'm the hum free, vibration free one. I put my mobile phone right next to Elise and I get no feedback at all. I might have to teach Elise how to use the phone. With the 6N7 though I feel vibration when my finger touch the metal shield. 

As such I have no need for cones except I might like a set of gold feet to make it look bling. 
biggrin.gif

Try having your phone next to the Elise and then load a website. I'll bet that there'll be noise from RFI. Vibration depends a lot on the tube. Not all tubes are equally microphonic. My 6F8G are insanely microphonic. They're like a small radar. If anything within 2 meters I can hear it. I'm not even kidding. My Fivres seem to be a bit microphonic as well, although not anywhere near the level of my 6F8G. 

OMG I want those gold feet NOW.

Hahahaha, they look pretty bling yea. Have you seen the LD MK VIII someone here on Head-Fi has? Now THAT is bling. Let me find a picture..

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,403 of 13,856
  Now why did you make me spend more money on gold feet. Next gold cables?

I'm not sure how gold cables would ever be better than silver, as silver has much better conductivity than gold. Even copper is better than gold. This is largely what makes cables snake oil. Sure, things like balanced vs non-balanced will most likely make a difference. You might even see a small improvement in silver cables over copper. And then some cables might offer better RFI shielding. But other than that, there shouldn't be any difference between cables. It's certainly not something to spend insane amounts of money on. 

And don't even get me started on digital cables...

Edit: I might've stepped on some toes here. Remember this is my opinion!

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,404 of 13,856
I am using three old aluminum cones under the Elise that I have since the 1980's when they were fashionable in Hi Fi. I attached them to the bottom of the amp with blue tack (actually yellow tack from the 99c store).

The tripod works very well, and the Elise is very stable - put two under the transformer and one in the front middle.

Regardless of the merits of the spiked feet, they lift the Elise about 1" off the shelf and thus provide better air flow for convection. The holes underneath and on top in front of the transformer are configured to aid in the convection air flow - bigger openings on the bottom plate.

900x900px-LL-bdff2e93_P1070432.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-32adf04f_P1070433.jpeg

(These pictures are from the Little Dot MKIII amp, but the footers are doing duty on the Elise now.)

I think that the theory is (was) that spiked feet channel vibrations into the shelf/rack/floor. The spiked feet certainly work in some situations. Remember putting screwed in spiked feet under very heavy 5' speakers on a wood floor - the sound snapped into focus in a very tangible way. Don't know how they work with amps, but I like the idea (see above).

My equipment shelf is sitting on four little metal tabs inside the rack. I put four round glass marbles under the shelf at each tab as another vibration reducing device. Advocated by Steven Gutenberg many years ago. Hey, it was cheap enough (raided the kid's stash of glass marbles) and seemed to make sense, so why not!

The cognoscenti are still debating if clear, green, or blue marbles work best. (This is supposed to be a joke.)

Have fun with the footer Pandora's box!

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,405 of 13,856
  I am using three old aluminum cones under the Elise that I have since the 1980's when they were fashionable in Hi Fi. I attached them to the bottom of the amp with blue tack (actually yellow tack from the 99c store).

The tripod works very well, and the Elise is very stable - put two under the transformer and one in the front middle.

Regardless of the merits of the spiked feet, they lift the Elise about 1" off the shelf and thus provide better air flow for convection. The holes underneath and on top in front of the transformer are configured to aid in the convection air flow - bigger openings on the bottom plate.

(These pictures are from the Little Dot MKIII amp, but the footers are doing duty on the Elise now.)

I think that the theory is (was) that spiked feet channel vibrations into the shelf/rack/floor. The spiked feet certainly work in some situations. Remember putting screwed in spiked feet under very heavy 5' speakers on a wood floor - the sound snapped into focus in a very tangible way. Don't know how they work with amps, but I like the idea (see above).

My equipment shelf is sitting on four little metal tabs inside the rack. I put four round glass marbles under the shelf at each tab as another vibration reducing device. Advocated by Steven Gutenberg many years ago. Hey, it was cheap enough (raided the kid's stash of glass marbles) and seemed to make sense, so why not!

The cognoscenti are still debating if clear, green, or blue marbles work best. (This is supposed to be a joke.)

Have fun with the footer Pandora's box!

Very interesting Mordy! Could you try tapping the shelf while wearing headphones, with the headphones plugged directly into the Elise, to see if Elise picks up any vibration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back