Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 2, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #3,376 of 13,856
  Man, You guys are costing me money.
JV is sending me an fdd 20 with adaptor. (which I was going to use with the ecc31 I just bought. $$)for a 2031.
I went and bought another fdd20 for an extra. Now that I will have two fdd20s and thats summit fi, I need two adaptors.

I am getting one from jv, but I want them to look the same, so I bought 2 from the mrsx.

Now that the Mazdas are not cats a## anymore, what am I going to do with the 4 I bought?

This is so much FUN!!!
confused_face(1).gif

I agree with UT though. No regrets, and I dont even have my amp yet. I will love the rolling, figure it out myself, and sell what Im not
going to use.

Aqsw those Mazdas are very special tubes. Don't even think for a minute they are not cats whatever you call them. Certainly listen to them and keep it. Their price will only appreciate with time.

Buying those 2 special adapters from xulingmrs is the right thing to do. And certainly 2 FDD20s. Well done !!!

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,377 of 13,856

Aqsw those Mazdas are very special tubes. Don't even think for a minute they are not cats whatever you call them. Certainly listen to them and keep it. Their price will only appreciate with time.

Buying those 2 special adapters from xulingmrs is the right thing to do. And certainly 2 FDD20s. Well done !!!

Don't worry UT, those Mazdas will get a some running time. I'm not giving up on them. Going to leave 2 of them NOS for now though.

Regards

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,378 of 13,856
  Found an old PS from a portable drive enclosure.

Is a 12 volt 1.5 amp ps good enough for two fdd20s ?

I think they might be but I need JV or H1 to confirm. They are the experts. I would urge you to buy a 12V, with 3 to 6A, AC adapter with ground pin(i.e. 3 pins). That way you don't need to separately ground it with another wire to the RCA socket on Elise. And don't slice off the end tip of the new AC adapter. With new male and female connectors it will fit right in.

These.. The green plugs may not be JV's recommendation due to it being cheap and nasty but I think for our purpose I'm willing to try it.

Alternatively get those male and female plugs that he showed a few pages back. Those are robust and good.

Or just use screw on connectors like what I'm doing now. :)
Twist red wires from both FDD20 adapters with the PS negative wire together and screw cap it. Then twist black wires from both FDD20 adapters with the PS positive wire together and screw cap it. That's it. Power on and quickly hide under your desk.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3,379 of 13,856

I think they might be but I need JV or H1 to confirm. They are the experts. I would urge you to buy a 12V, with 3 to 6A, AC adapter with ground pin(i.e. 3 pins). That way you don't need to separately ground it with another wire to the RCA socket on Elise. And don't slice off the end tip of the new AC adapter. With new male and female connectors it will fit right in.

This one has the ground, might be a little short on the amperage.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,381 of 13,856
That's what Im doing.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,384 of 13,856
1.5 A should be plenty for two FDD20.

Good to know that. Meanwhile 2 FDD20 even sounded great with GE 6AS7G (RCA 6AS7G equivalent). These power tubes are darker, warmer and lusher sounding. It has reverb. Less sparkle.  I think good sound can be obtained quite cheaply now with tubes on Elise.

Going through all my power tubes now with 2 FDD20. Will provide feedback later.

OMG...I think the Philips Miniwatt FDD20s have arrived....

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,386 of 13,856
Came in a lunch box...Grazie Giannoni !!!

Not the same height ... Tom and Jerry. Tubes are so clean. I don't even need to wipe it.

No touchup to the photos. Don't they look gorgeous. 25th Mar 1942.

If you notice....just like my pair from 1943...the thickness of the bases are not the same. One is a little thicker than the other (where the bottle meets the base).

:p

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,387 of 13,856
  First you must be sure that the noise is due to micro shock/move on your table and not due to electrical noise through the DAC / USB or Radio !

For shock i use since many year a 15mm thick rubber carpet (antivibrating) and/or 10 mm thick marble square 50/50 under each feet. Some like decoupling ball/base or cone feet plus decoupling base.

For RFI, never use radio/nano mouse near the amp, do not put your wifi emmiter/receiver or your phone too close to the tubes. This is generating RFI and older tubes are more sensitive to it as the glass is less elaborated than for newer production (post 1970) .

I'm absolutely sure it's from shock / vibration. I learned pretty quickly that one shouldn't keep his phone near the Elise, as it induces a lot of noise. This is what those cone feet are for? I was wondering why people installed spikes beneath their amps. Makes more sense now. I have to get myself an anti vibration mat, but the only ones I can find are for washing machines, and they're quite ugly all of them. Do you have any recommendations? Can we actually use those cone / spike feet for the Elise?

Edit: Would these work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-D39mm-Sound-Isolation-Feet-Speaker-Spikes-Audio-Cones-HiFi-Mounts-/252071195339. How do you mount those?

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,388 of 13,856
If you notice....just like my pair from 1943...the thickness of the bases are not the same. One is a little thicker than the other (where the bottle meets the base).

tongue.gif

JV, I examine the tubes and they look exactly identical until you pointed out about the base. See from the photo, it's obvious they are different the base thickness. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,389 of 13,856
  I'm absolutely sure it's from shock / vibration. I learned pretty quickly that one shouldn't keep his phone near the Elise, as it induces a lot of noise. This is what those cone feet are for? I was wondering why people installed spikes beneath their amps. Makes more sense now. I have to get myself an anti vibration mat, but the only ones I can find are for washing machines, and they're quite ugly all of them. Do you have any recommendations? Can we actually use those cone / spike feet for the Elise?

Edit: Would these work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-set-D39mm-Sound-Isolation-Feet-Speaker-Spikes-Audio-Cones-HiFi-Mounts-/252071195339. How do you mount those?

I'm not familiar with those particular cones, but most cones like that do not actually "mount". You would just balance your Elise on the cones with the points facing down. The bases sit on your table and the cone points fit into the holes. Some people might suggest it would be better to use only 3 of the cones rather than 4. This opens up a great new horizon. We can start an Elise cone rolling thread ))))  https://www.gcaudio.com/templates/isolation%20devices.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back