Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,361 of 13,856
Hi h1,

I am presently using a pair of tubes with a gain of 19 with excellent results - the 6BL7GT. JV reports that they don't mate well with his 600 ohm headphones. The Elise almost goes into clipping with these tubes.

I do not have any problems driving my 37 ohm headphones, However, using these tubes with the Elise as a preamp, which is how I listen 99.9% of the time, I have ample volume and more, even though I have to turn up the volume on the Elise for the headphones to 12 o'clock; the amp also requires more volume, but does not run out of steam at all.

And, I have to say this, I am more happy with the sound of the 6BL7GT tubes than my pair of Mazda 6N7G tubes. Chevy beats Bugatti.

The Mazda has a wider sound stage. Think of aspect ratio in digital cameras and TV screens. The Mazda is 16/9; the 6BL7 is 3/2. But overall the sound from the 6BL7 tubes suits my taste better. This tube is more dynamic and quick, with more energy in the FR extremes and more detail and clarity.

And I am happy to see that people are starting to appreciate the 6AS7GA as power tubes - how can something so cheap and plentiful be so good? Well, wait until you try the 6BL7 - even cheaper and more plentiful.

So there - I said it. YMMV......

DSC_0207_1400_4.jpg

Lingenfelter C7 Corvette Stingray 417 CID Twin Turbo LT1 1,000 HP

Bugatti_Veyron_16.4_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht_%281%29,_5._April_2012,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

images

Bugatti Veyron 16.4 1,001 HP

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,362 of 13,856
There's something that's been bothering me. My setup is quite microphonic. I can hear it when I move my mouse, which gets quite annoying after a while. Are there any tips to isolate the Elise from the table, so it wouldn't pick up as much noise? 

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,363 of 13,856
  Yes I was thinking that too. 2 FDD20 is a lot cheaper than if you factor in a ECC31. The seller that I bought the FDD20 from, still has a lot of those tubes. I suspect he has an endless supply. Let's hope he doesn't raise the price. They are selling for 22 euros each. I think JV got them for 3 for $30 and he got the Philips Miniwatt ones. I had to pay $69 for my pair.

UT:  Can you tell us where you are getting the FDD20s? Seems they have totally disappeared from EBay ((

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,364 of 13,856
  There's something that's been bothering me. My setup is quite microphonic. I can hear it when I move my mouse, which gets quite annoying after a while. Are there any tips to isolate the Elise from the table, so it wouldn't pick up as much noise? 

First you must be sure that the noise is due to micro shock/move on your table and not due to electrical noise through the DAC / USB or Radio !

For shock i use since many year a 15mm thick rubber carpet (antivibrating) and/or 10 mm thick marble square 50/50 under each feet. Some like decoupling ball/base or cone feet plus decoupling base.

For RFI, never use radio/nano mouse near the amp, do not put your wifi emmiter/receiver or your phone too close to the tubes. This is generating RFI and older tubes are more sensitive to it as the glass is less elaborated than for newer production (post 1970) .

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,365 of 13,856
UT:  Disregard last message. Found the RVCs on Ebay and ordered a pair. Also ordered a pair of Mrs. Euling's magic FDD20 adapters, a 12V grounded power supply and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400623124216?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You guys are ruining my life )))  My Elise hasn't even shipped and seems like my tube stash is growing each day!!!

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,367 of 13,856
  UT:  Disregard last message. Found the RVCs on Ebay and ordered a pair. Also ordered a pair of Mrs. Euling's magic FDD20 adapters, a 12V grounded power supply and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400623124216?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You guys are ruining my life )))  My Elise hasn't even shipped and seems like my tube stash is growing each day!!!

LOL @pctazhp. I saw the seller have 10 left yesterday but 4 now lol. How did it go so fast? You don't need the voltage regulator if you're just running 1 or 2 FDD20. That is needed if you want to step down to 6.3V with the power supply you bought for the 6BL7 tubes.

Welcome to the club that buys tubes ready before Elise arrives. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,368 of 13,856
Ouy!

Welcome to the club, pctazhp!!

Hopefully your life will be graciously enhanced, in the end
cool.gif

tongue.gif

JV, we said the same thing at the same time !!!  Welcome to the club...

I couldn't sleep last night. My mind was drifting into FDD20 land...I woke up surrounded by a pile of those tubes.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #3,369 of 13,856

Hey pct...with those tubes you have, you won't need any more - guaranteed!!...(apart from a nice pair of GEC/Osram CV2523/A1834!!...just mortgage the house, lol!
wink_face.gif
...).

CHEERS!...

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #3,370 of 13,856
  Hi h1,

I am presently using a pair of tubes with a gain of 19 with excellent results - the 6BL7GT. JV reports that they don't mate well with his 600 ohm headphones. The Elise almost goes into clipping with these tubes.

I do not have any problems driving my 37 ohm headphones, However, using these tubes with the Elise as a preamp, which is how I listen 99.9% of the time, I have ample volume and more, even though I have to turn up the volume on the Elise for the headphones to 12 o'clock; the amp also requires more volume, but does not run out of steam at all.

And, I have to say this, I am more happy with the sound of the 6BL7GT tubes than my pair of Mazda 6N7G tubes. Chevy beats Bugatti.

The Mazda has a wider sound stage. Think of aspect ratio in digital cameras and TV screens. The Mazda is 16/9; the 6BL7 is 3/2. But overall the sound from the 6BL7 tubes suits my taste better. This tube is more dynamic and quick, with more energy in the FR extremes and more detail and clarity.

And I am happy to see that people are starting to appreciate the 6AS7GA as power tubes - how can something so cheap and plentiful be so good? Well, wait until you try the 6BL7 - even cheaper and more plentiful.

So there - I said it. YMMV......

Bugatti Veyron 16.4 1,001 HP

Mordy, I'm glad you found tubes that are to your liking. Cheap and good is the way to go. After all we still need to buy that black Bugatti....which is the same colour of my car. I just have to imagine I'm driving a Bugatti.

Now that you have 1 FDD20 coming, I suggest you get another. You need twin power FDD20.

As for the GE 6AS7GA from Parts Express, I've like it for a while but it was just sitting in my drawer. It just wasn't getting enough play time because I was swooned by the 5998, Chatham and Mullard.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3,371 of 13,856
Mordy...unfortunately, the 19 gain of the EL3N pentode is halved when triode-strapped - hence the uncertainty, alas!
redface.gif

Glad you are pleased with the 6BL7s used in preamp mode...shame they don't have the versatility for wide-ranging cans.

And eagerly awaiting the arrival of those tubes chez vous...gonna be real interesting, lol...
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,372 of 13,856

Aahh UT...welcome to the mixed-blessing world of tube rolling! - my own drawer is overflowing with the multitude of different tubes we used in our LittleDots before finally settling on a fairly wide concensus of 'best' tubes, lol!
wink.gif
...a classic case of if only...the 'journey'...etc. etc.!!!

I console myself in the assumption that we may never have reached such end results, without having made said journey. And for me, certainly, each progression has brought a greater understanding of what actually constitutes 'good'/'better' sound...and helps reduce the pain of $$$$$ spent!! (plus, there's always the possibility of at least some of those tubes appreciating in value?
wink_face.gif
)...So hang in there, sell what you can at a profit, and get those GECs lol!!
biggrin.gif

Well H1, much as I love the FDD20s now, I've not regretted my other purchase. At heart I'm a selective collector and I believe variety is the spice of life. So now I have tubes for all occasions and all moods and all genre. I even have Dubsteps tubes !!!

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,373 of 13,856
Man, You guys are costing me money.
JV is sending me an fdd 20 with adaptor. (which I was going to use with the ecc31 I just bought. $$)for a 2031.
I went and bought another fdd20 for an extra. Now that I will have two fdd20s and thats summit fi, I need two adaptors.

I am getting one from jv, but I want them to look the same, so I bought 2 from the mrsx.

Now that the Mazdas are not cats a## anymore, what am I going to do with the 4 I bought?

This is so much FUN!!!
confused_face(1).gif

I agree with UT though. No regrets, and I dont even have my amp yet. I will love the rolling, figure it out myself, and sell what Im not
going to use.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,374 of 13,856
  Man, You guys are costing me money.
JV is sending me an fdd 20 with adaptor. (which I was going to use with the ecc31 I just bought. $$)for a 2031.
I went and bought another fdd20 for an extra. Now that I will have two fdd20s and thats summit fi, I need two adaptors.

I am getting one from jv, but I want them to look the same, so I bought 2 from the mrsx.

Now that the Mazdas are not cats a## anymore, what am I going to do with the 4 I bought?

This is so much FUN!!!
confused_face(1).gif

Welcome also to the (MAD!) world of tube rolling, aqsw....
eek.gif
....you are by no means alone...
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #3,375 of 13,856
Found an old PS from a portable drive enclosure.

Is a 12 volt 1.5 amp ps good enough for two fdd20s ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back