Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #10,681 of 11,833
Thanks @Scutey for your time to help me learn better what EL3N types are available.

In the meantime I have done what I said: tried Philips Miniwatt EL3N again with RSD EL12N. Indeed a very nice combo, impressive and much above my expectations.

EL3_N_EL12_N.jpg

But after some time and some different tracks I use as a benchmark, I felt that I miss the punchy bass and overall sound of 5998. So I tried also that combo.

EL3_N_5998.jpg

And now, guess what? It blown me away. This combination is absolutely fabulous. The EL3N as drivers are killing the Psvanes while the 5998 add exactly the quantity of bass and warmness I even wanted. This combo is what I was looking for.
So, after 2 months I found out what UntilThen was explaining so clear here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/6000#post_12235306
It was all in front of my eyes and still, I had to look 2 months and half for it.
This combination reminds me of the enthusiasm I had when I discovered my all time favourite Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV + 6N6P-IR on Littledot some time ago. I tried almost everything else and could not find a better match for my taste. Until now.
For me this is the best combination on almost all of the albums I listen, a killer combination for rock music. Extremely heavy and fast but it sounds exceptional also on Synthpop like Depeche Mode.
I will continue to observe it, but I have the feeling that this will be my "endgame". My quest is over.

Last question:

Who can help me understand the manufacturing date based on this inscription? Looks like MS12 A2E.

2018_04_26_21_12_27.jpg
Hi Scutey,

Re the EL3N tube designation I can decipher most of the information on the tube:
MS is Philips internal designation for EL3N.
12 - I don't know (Oskari is our resident expert)
A indicates the factory; in this case Wiener Radio Werke (WIRAG) in Vienna, Austria
2 indicates the year - most likely 1962
E indicates the month. Using my fingers I determined that it stands for May.
So this is an EL3N tube made by the Philips subsidiary WIRAG, Vienna, Austria, in May, 1962.
The red paint I think is only there for cosmetic purposes - it looks nice and was advertised as the Red Series tubes. No doubt inspired by the Vienna Tyrolean Marching Band:
the-90th-birthday-of-otto-von-habsburg-in-vienna-austria-on-november-picture-id124058555

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #10,682 of 11,833
Thanks @Scutey for your time to help me learn better what EL3N types are available.

In the meantime I have done what I said: tried Philips Miniwatt EL3N again with RSD EL12N. Indeed a very nice combo, impressive and much above my expectations.

EL3_N_EL12_N.jpg

But after some time and some different tracks I use as a benchmark, I felt that I miss the punchy bass and overall sound of 5998. So I tried also that combo.

EL3_N_5998.jpg

And now, guess what? It blown me away. This combination is absolutely fabulous. The EL3N as drivers are killing the Psvanes while the 5998 add exactly the quantity of bass and warmness I even wanted. This combo is what I was looking for.
So, after 2 months I found out what UntilThen was explaining so clear here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/6000#post_12235306
It was all in front of my eyes and still, I had to look 2 months and half for it.
This combination reminds me of the enthusiasm I had when I discovered my all time favourite Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV + 6N6P-IR on Littledot some time ago. I tried almost everything else and could not find a better match for my taste. Until now.
For me this is the best combination on almost all of the albums I listen, a killer combination for rock music. Extremely heavy and fast but it sounds exceptional also on Synthpop like Depeche Mode.
I will continue to observe it, but I have the feeling that this will be my "endgame". My quest is over.

Last question:

Who can help me understand the manufacturing date based on this inscription? Looks like MS12 A2E.

2018_04_26_21_12_27.jpg
Great to hear your enjoying the EL3N OH!, as you're finding out it really is a special tube, when I first posted on this thread @hypnos1 recommended the EL3N to me so promptly bought a pair and instantly loved them, I've tried many different tubes since but always go back to it, as far as drivers are concerned this is my endgame.

One other thing I've ordered a second pair of EL3N adapters to try as a quad, I believe @mordy and @UntilThen discovered this setup and raved about it, another possible "endgame"?, who knows!.

Also here's a pic of the EL3N's I've managed to pick up on eBay, all cost the same, or slightly less than Acoustic Dimensions, the top two pair in the pic were NOS, the Adzam are just rebranded Mazda, the bottom two were bought separately but still sound great.

20180426_183516[999].jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #10,683 of 11,833
Hi Scutey,

Re the EL3N tube designation I can decipher most of the information on the tube:
A indicates the factory; in this case Wiener Radio Werke (WIRAG) in Vienna, Austria
So this is an EL3N tube made by the Philips subsidiary WIRAG, Vienna, Austria, in May, 1962.
The red paint I think is only there for cosmetic purposes - it looks nice and was advertised as the Red Series tubes. No doubt inspired by the Vienna Tyrolean Marching Band:
the-90th-birthday-of-otto-von-habsburg-in-vienna-austria-on-november-picture-id124058555
Hi mordy,

That's impressive knowledge thanks for the info!, i'm sure @OctavianH will be pleased too.

On the pic i've been to Austria several times and the Austrian marching bands cut quite an impressive sight although I'm not tempted to try the leather shorts!.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #10,684 of 11,833
Hi mordy,

That's impressive knowledge thanks for the info!, i'm sure @OctavianH will be pleased too.

On the pic i've been to Austria several times and the Austrian marching bands cut quite an impressive sight although I'm not tempted to try the leather shorts!.
Hi Scutey and Octavian,
Since you have the EL3N adapters, you could try a close cousin to the EL12, namely the EL6 (6.3V, 1.3A):
el6_radiotechnique_ph20s.jpg

Just be aware that they are rarer than hens teeth!
(There are actually two for sale now on eBAY, one in Spain and one in Albania.)

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #10,685 of 11,833
Hi Scutey and Octavian,
Since you have the EL3N adapters, you could try a close cousin to the EL12, namely the EL6 (6.3V, 1.3A):
el6_radiotechnique_ph20s.jpg

Just be aware that they are rarer than hens teeth!
(There are actually two for sale now on eBAY, one in Spain and one in Albania.)
Thanks for the recommendation mordy, just found them, do they have a similar sound signature to the EL3N?.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #10,686 of 11,833
Hey guys...I would not remove the red paint from the EL3N tubes.

I think the red skirting is conductive and is hooked to the cathode. This makes a shield that is brought to near ground potential
Through the cathode resistor and capacitor.

At the very bottom of the tube that is painted red, closest to the base, there is a small wire that wraps around the base of the tube and is connected to the tube.

It is right where the glass and the base meet.
EL3N.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #10,687 of 11,833

2018_04_26_21_12_27.jpg

That code is a bit of an anomaly. It was discussed here:
Btw, I'd guess 1962, too.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #10,689 of 11,833
Thanks for the recommendation mordy, just found them, do they have a similar sound signature to the EL3N?.
Hi Scutey,
I have a couple of used EL6 tubes. One is a Philips, another a Valvo and a third I think is a Tungsram. Had a lot of problems with the EL12 tubes (not EL12N) and as I remember these sounded like polite EL12 tubes without the lack of reliability of the EL12 tubes.
Don't know if it is warranted to get them if you have EL12 Spezial (I do not have these) and EL12N - did not hear about problems with these EL12 variants. Besides, the EL6 are very hard to find and bound to be expensive NOS.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #10,690 of 11,833
@Oskari @mordy @whirlwind Many thanks for helping me decipher the code. I know that 90% of the information was already discussed, but it is very hard to find all of it in this huge amount of posts. And I will not remove the red paint, very interesting remark about it. I never heard about tube paint which is hooked to the cathode...

@Scutey I am very interested in your findings related to double EL3N adapters. But according to what I have seen on ebay, for example this adapter, I think this one can be used on Elise only on the power sockets which have a bigger distance between them than the driver sockets:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold...639044?hash=item2ca65c7884:g:-W4AAOSw5IJWggQB
So I guess you can only try the scenario with 4 EL3N as power tubes. This might be nice, but for me, since I got some addition to the punchy bass of 5998, might be a "hit and miss". Anyway, please share your findings with us and maybe also a picture with those adapters mounted on Elise.

PS. What price has that EL3N custom amp from Glenn? (just for curiosity)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #10,691 of 11,833
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #10,693 of 11,833

Impressive. At the moment I am in the 2nd session of EL3N + 5998 and the impression is the same as yesterday: very good combination. My rule is, if 3 sessions provide the same impression you are on the right track, but the problem is that these EL3N were NOS and have only 9 hrs on them. So maybe my position is not final. However, I like them and I will order another 6 pieces to be sure I have a stockpile full of them. And if I do that, I might order also the adapters to try your setup. Your T1 are 1st gen? Did you had the chance of comparing the 6 EL3N with my setup and can tell me the differences?

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #10,694 of 11,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back