Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #10,696 of 11,833
@Oskari @mordy @whirlwind Many thanks for helping me decipher the code. I know that 90% of the information was already discussed, but it is very hard to find all of it in this huge amount of posts. And I will not remove the red paint, very interesting remark about it. I never heard about tube paint which is hooked to the cathode...

@Scutey I am very interested in your findings related to double EL3N adapters. But according to what I have seen on ebay, for example this adapter, I think this one can be used on Elise only on the power sockets which have a bigger distance between them than the driver sockets:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Gold...639044?hash=item2ca65c7884:g:-W4AAOSw5IJWggQB
So I guess you can only try the scenario with 4 EL3N as power tubes. This might be nice, but for me, since I got some addition to the punchy bass of 5998, might be a "hit and miss". Anyway, please share your findings with us and maybe also a picture with those adapters mounted on Elise.

PS. What price has that EL3N custom amp from Glenn? (just for curiosity)[/QUOTE
Hi OH my fault, I meant 4 EL3N in total, by that I mean 2 as power and 2 as driver, the 2 extra adapters are on their way, looking forward to giving them a go, I've just read your comments so you're interested in trying x4 EL3N as powers?, that will be my next step so if you get their before me I will be interested in what you think, I believe @mordy and @UntilThen pioneered this combo so thanks to them we can try it for ourselves but I will let you know what x2 x2 EL3N sound like.

On another note I've also just ordered some 6BL7 to try as powers, again @mordy the inspiration for this purchase, really looking forward to giving them a go.

BTW OH if you are interested their are some NOS EL3N up for auction on eBay at the mo, I've already purchased 1 pair from this guy and they were exactly as described, here's the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-EL3N-...349662?hash=item590b47e21e:g:HAIAAOSwm3Ba2bFH

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #10,697 of 11,833
Hi OH my fault, I meant 4 EL3N in total, by that I mean 2 as power and 2 as driver, the 2 extra adapters are on their way, looking forward to giving them a go, I've just read your comments so you're interested in trying x4 EL3N as powers?, that will be my next step so if you get their before me I will be interested in what you think, I believe @mordy and @UntilThen pioneered this combo so thanks to them we can try it for ourselves but I will let you know what x2 x2 EL3N sound like.

On another note I've also just ordered some 6BL7 to try as powers, again @mordy the inspiration for this purchase, really looking forward to giving them a go.

BTW OH if you are interested their are some NOS EL3N up for auction on eBay at the mo, I've already purchased 1 pair from this guy and they were exactly as described, here's the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-EL3N-...349662?hash=item590b47e21e:g:HAIAAOSwm3Ba2bFH

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #10,698 of 11,833
Ok Mr. UntilThen, I will try this combo of 6 EL3N. You made me curious :gs1000smile:

I sold my 'renewed' Elise to @Rossliew including all the EL3N tubes, single and double adapters. He seems to like the 6 EL3N setup. I'm sure he will chime in here and let you know how it sounds.

As much as I felt that the 6 EL3N on Elise is warm and lush and this does suit some setup that is bright, I felt that Glenn's EL3N might have hit it on the head. From all accounts, I heard that it's more neutral and transparent and sounded like the fame 45 amp. Glenn's design uses Lundahl transformers output. It's a beautiful looking amp. I intend to be part of Glenn's EL3N journey.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #10,699 of 11,833
I believe @mordy and @UntilThen pioneered this combo

I started this 4 x EL3N and 6 x EL3N experiment. I even consulted Lukasz on the use of 6 x EL3N in Elise. He didn't give his official approval but did say that that could work. I remember sending him the photo of 6 x EL3N and he goes 'wow'.

For the record, this is how EL3N started in Elise.

We were at that time very keen on a Mazda 6N7G tube which I still have a pair. That sounded very good as drivers on Elise but there's hardly any tubes on ebay. So I started searching and came upon a Mazda EL3N which had red paint on it and it looks beautiful. I showed the picture on Elise thread and jokingly told Hypnos1 to get it to work on Elise. Surprisingly Hypnos1 took up on my urging and adapted it to work as drivers on Elise - and love it ! So credit goes to Hypnos for the EL3N on Elise. He pioneered it.

I then started using the EL3N as both drivers and power tubes in 4 and 6 configuration. I felt 4 hasn't got enough oomph for certain headphones but 6 has lots of it. Even drove my HiFiman HE560 planar magnetic well. 4 didn't but 4 will work with HD650 and it's not a bad tone at all. Looks nice. :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #10,700 of 11,833
This is how 4 EL3N looks like. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread.782754/page-452#post-12266271

On another note. Elise was design to work with 6sn7 and 6as7. It was never design to work with EL3N and from all my conversation with Lukasz, he has stressed that.

You will note that in my later part of owning Elise, I went back to the recommended tubes of 6sn7 and 6as7, especially after I had Elise completely renewed back at Feliks Audio. When it came back, it's as good as a new amp.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #10,701 of 11,833

6BL7 sounds good but it sounded great in 6 x 6BL7 configuration in the Glenn's custom design OTL amp. It's unbelievably great sounding. I have such an amp now. Take a look at the Glenn Studio thread for more information. It's where I do all my interactions now.

Elise and Euforia sounded great as OTL amps so I've leave you folks to enjoy it.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #10,702 of 11,833
Also here's a pic of the EL3N's I've managed to pick up on eBay, all cost the same, or slightly less than Acoustic Dimensions, the top two pair in the pic were NOS, the Adzam are just rebranded Mazda, the bottom two were bought separately but still sound great.

10104663.jpg

Adzam was the tube brand of MBLE, a Belgian manufacturer.

Mazda was originally a GE light bulb brand. They had subsidiaries and licensees in various markets. That's why the name Mazda appears here and there, also in Belgium for MBLE's light bulbs.

The Adzam tube in your photo was likely made by WIRAG.

The Mazda brand in the bottom row is that of the French Mazda, La Compagnie des Lampes.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #10,703 of 11,833
I started this 4 x EL3N and 6 x EL3N experiment. I even consulted Lukasz on the use of 6 x EL3N in Elise. He didn't give his official approval but did say that that could work. I remember sending him the photo of 6 x EL3N and he goes 'wow'.

For the record, this is how EL3N started in Elise.

We were at that time very keen on a Mazda 6N7G tube which I still have a pair. That sounded very good as drivers on Elise but there's hardly any tubes on ebay. So I started searching and came upon a Mazda EL3N which had red paint on it and it looks beautiful. I showed the picture on Elise thread and jokingly told Hypnos1 to get it to work on Elise. Surprisingly Hypnos1 took up on my urging and adapted it to work as drivers on Elise - and love it ! So credit goes to Hypnos for the EL3N on Elise. He pioneered it.

I then started using the EL3N as both drivers and power tubes in 4 and 6 configuration. I felt 4 hasn't got enough oomph for certain headphones but 6 has lots of it. Even drove my HiFiman HE560 planar magnetic well. 4 didn't but 4 will work with HD650 and it's not a bad tone at all. Looks nice. :)
This is how 4 EL3N looks like. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread.782754/page-452#post-12266271

On another note. Elise was design to work with 6sn7 and 6as7. It was never design to work with EL3N and from all my conversation with Lukasz, he has stressed that.

You will note that in my later part of owning Elise, I went back to the recommended tubes of 6sn7 and 6as7, especially after I had Elise completely renewed back at Feliks Audio. When it came back, it's as good as a new amp.
6BL7 sounds good but it sounded great in 6 x 6BL7 configuration in the Glenn's custom design OTL amp. It's unbelievably great sounding. I have such an amp now. Take a look at the Glenn Studio thread for more information. It's where I do all my interactions now.

Elise and Euforia sounded great as OTL amps so I've leave you folks to enjoy it.
Thanks for all the info UT, tube amps have taken me on a very enjoyable journey, the Elise is part of that journey but probably not the final destination, so I will definitely have a look at the Glenn Studio thread, cheers!.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #10,704 of 11,833
Thanks for all the info UT, tube amps have taken me on a very enjoyable journey, the Elise is part of that journey but probably not the final destination, so I will definitely have a look at the Glenn Studio thread, cheers!.

My pleasure Scutey. Enjoy your journey. The music's great with tube amps.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #10,705 of 11,833

The Mazda brand in the bottom row is that of the French Mazda, La Compagnie des Lampes.
My pleasure Scutey. Enjoy your journey. The music's great with tube amps.
It certainly is UT, and to think just two years ago I was a solid state fan boy!.

Thanks for the info Oskari, definitely gives a better understanding of the tubes when you're looking to purchase.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #10,706 of 11,833
I sold my 'renewed' Elise to @Rossliew including all the EL3N tubes, single and double adapters. He seems to like the 6 EL3N setup. I'm sure he will chime in here and let you know how it sounds.

As much as I felt that the 6 EL3N on Elise is warm and lush and this does suit some setup that is bright, I felt that Glenn's EL3N might have hit it on the head. From all accounts, I heard that it's more neutral and transparent and sounded like the fame 45 amp. Glenn's design uses Lundahl transformers output. It's a beautiful looking amp. I intend to be part of Glenn's EL3N journey.

Hey y’all, I really like the tone of the 6 EL3N tubes in my Elise. It’s full bodied yet doesn’t sound mushy. Prefer it over to the usual 6SN7/6as7 combo.

@UntilThen do u reckon I could try the 4xEL3N combo using the adapters u provided with the amp? The adapters for the power tubes are to accommodate 4 x EL3N but can I just use 1 on each side?

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #10,707 of 11,833
Hey y’all, I really like the tone of the 6 EL3N tubes in my Elise. It’s full bodied yet doesn’t sound mushy. Prefer it over to the usual 6SN7/6as7 combo.

@UntilThen do u reckon I could try the 4xEL3N combo using the adapters u provided with the amp? The adapters for the power tubes are to accommodate 4 x EL3N but can I just use 1 on each side?

The adapters are designed to be used for dual EL3N. I don't think it's a good idea to use a single EL3N in it.

However I still have 2 single EL3N adapters. PM your address again and I'll send it over.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #10,709 of 11,833
Yesterday I had a 12 hours listening session with EL3N+5998 and the impression was good. (BTW, should I make a break to avoid overheating after, let's say, 6 hours?) But after I tried several records, in FLAC format, some of them from the 80s and some newer, some of them suffering from production problems and others from the well known "compression" issues, I realized that older records which were, maybe, better produced or mastered on older equipment sounded OK but the newer ones had too much bass for my taste. I guess these new titles are mastered to sound decent on very cheap equipment, like for example, a smartphone and this is the reason the mastering is done in a different way. Anyway, we have to listen to all our titles from our collection. And now my question comes, how will sound the 6 x EL3N setup compared to the one with 5998 in terms of bass and lower frequencies? Many people here tried it with T1 1st generation which was more neutral than mine. My T1 2nd generation are somehow V-shaped.

@Scutey : Yes, I ordered 2 double adapters and another 6 pieces of EL3N. So I will be able to try the 6 x setup in 1-2 months when they will arrive. I saw the listings of ebay but I was not sure about the seller. The ones from Acoustic Dimension were 100% NOS, and I saw this when unboxing them. So I preferred the "safe" way and order from the same shop. 25EUR is a decent price for them.

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #10,710 of 11,833

If the two tube are parallel, you can use one tube. Like Matt can use 1, 2, or three pairs of 6bx7 on his current amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back