Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #10,651 of 11,833
Today my adapters finally arrived and I tried 2 new combinations:

1) C3g+5998 - not exactly what I was expecting

C3g_5998.jpg

2) Psvane + RSD EL12N - this one is really good, less bass and more aggressive. With this one Judas Priest starts to have that guitar I once knew. I say that this one has potential to become one of my preferred combinations

CV181_T2_RSDEL12_N.jpg

These tube combinations are new and I did not have enough time for them, but I will keep for sure 2) at least a few days to analyze it. Good stuff.

Remarks related to combination:
1) -> with volume = 0 I had some "hum" in headphones, increasing volume solved it
2) -> I needed here to increase a lot the volume (has to be related to the Gain stuff @mordy was mentioning)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #10,652 of 11,833
Today my adapters finally arrived and I tried 2 new combinations:

1) C3g+5998 - not exactly what I was expecting

C3g_5998.jpg

2) Psvane + RSD EL12N - this one is really good, less bass and more aggressive. With this one Judas Priest starts to have that guitar I once knew. I say that this one has potential to become one of my preferred combinations

CV181_T2_RSDEL12_N.jpg

These tube combinations are new and I did not have enough time for them, but I will keep for sure 2) at least a few days to analyze it. Good stuff.

Remarks related to combination:
1) -> with volume = 0 I had some "hum" in headphones, increasing volume solved it
2) -> I needed here to increase a lot the volume (has to be related to the Gain stuff @mordy was mentioning)
Hi OH,

Good to hear you have finally received your adapters, good things come to those who wait!.

Personally I like both those combinations you've tried, but for me the Psvane/EL12N just edges it.

A combination I've been using the last couple days is my Chatham 2399/5998 and Ken Rad 6C8G for drivers, the KR's are quick and extended on top, with fantastic head thumping bass and super wide sound stage, what it lacks in refined FR it more than makes up for it in sheer fun factor.

Oh and great pics as well!

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #10,654 of 11,833
You had the same problem like me with C3g + 5998 : buzz in the headphones with volume set to 0?
OH, have you tried using your C3g without the driver socket savers?, I have one pair of socket savers and when I use them in the driver sockets all of my driver tubes hum or buzz including the C3g, however when the same socket savers are used in the power sockets they're silent, might be worth a try.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #10,656 of 11,833
Been neglecting my Elise for a long time because got a Croft Micro 25L to use as a preamp for my stereo... but recently decided to relocate the Elise to my office. And I'm glad I did - had been thinking of selling it, because as a preamp, the Croft is in a different league. But now I'm rediscovering the Elise as a headphone amp and I'm loving it. My current jam is EL12N powers and 1944 RCA VT231 drivers. Great. I've remembered I CAN listen to music while I work, without getting irritated, or getting tinnitus.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #10,658 of 11,833
Hi @Scutey I should have said "home office".... where I work mainly. I think if I'd brought the Elise into the office in town they'd have me locked up! EL12N + RCA VT231 working well with the HE400.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #10,659 of 11,833
Hi @Scutey I should have said "home office".... where I work mainly. I think if I'd brought the Elise into the office in town they'd have me locked up! EL12N + RCA VT231 working well with the HE400.
Lol I can imagine!, will definitely give the EL12N + RCA a go, always like trying new combinations.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #10,660 of 11,833
After almost 1 week with Psvane and EL12N I switched back to 5998. And now I have the feeling that the sound is incredible. These are evolving or I am crazy or both. Patience is the answer like a wise man was saying.

And 2 questions:
1. Any opinion on 7236 compared to 5998?
2. Does CrossFeed worth the money on Euforia? I guess to combine both channels gives you a more natural experience, since on real world you hear a noise with both ears when it occurs.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #10,661 of 11,833
After almost 1 week with Psvane and EL12N I switched back to 5998. And now I have the feeling that the sound is incredible. These are evolving or I am crazy or both. Patience is the answer like a wise man was saying.

And 2 questions:
1. Any opinion on 7236 compared to 5998?
2. Does CrossFeed worth the money on Euforia? I guess to combine both channels gives you a more natural experience, since on real world you hear a noise with both ears when it occurs.
Hi O,
As you are discovering, it takes time to solidify an opinion re tube sound, especially if tubes are a moving target and evolving. But with patience and time you will arrive at the proper opinion as far as your own taste is concerned.
I have both the TS7236 and the TS5998 tubes. IMHO the 7236 is more neutral and more solid state like in the sound, and the 5998 is more dynamic.
Re crossfeed I don't know if it is gimmick or helps the sound presentation - let your ears decide.
As a rule, the more sophisticated the amp, the less in the way of reproducing the original source as purely as possible.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #10,663 of 11,833
Hi O,
As you are discovering, it takes time to solidify an opinion re tube sound, especially if tubes are a moving target and evolving. But with patience and time you will arrive at the proper opinion as far as your own taste is concerned.
I have both the TS7236 and the TS5998 tubes. IMHO the 7236 is more neutral and more solid state like in the sound, and the 5998 is more dynamic.
Re crossfeed I don't know if it is gimmick or helps the sound presentation - let your ears decide.
As a rule, the more sophisticated the amp, the less in the way of reproducing the original source as purely as possible.
The TS7236’s sound great with a pair of EL3N’s, the 7236’s keep the bass under contrl from the 3N’s. Miles Davis So What sounds fab with this combo, especially when the string bass comes in at the start.
I listen mainly through Focal space 50 near fields, and this combo sounds good with those too.
The crossfeed on Euforia works well with the T1 gen 2’s, I play with it on & off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back