Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Mar 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #10,636 of 11,833
Impressive quality have these ceramic socket savers from xulingmrs:

Socket_savers.jpg

Elise does not look as good as before but at least the heat stays out of it:

Elise_socket_savers.jpg

Regarding sound impact, maybe I am crazy but I think I have less bass with these. Maybe they add some resistance and this impacts lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #10,637 of 11,833

Socket_savers.jpg

Elise_socket_savers.jpg

Regarding sound impact, maybe I am crazy but I think I have less bass with these. Maybe they add some resistance and this impacts lower frequencies.
Hi O,
Some people who did not like the look of the adapters either painted them black with heat resistant paint, or put on black shrink wrap.
Have not seen any reports that socket savers change the sound.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #10,638 of 11,833

Socket_savers.jpg

Elise_socket_savers.jpg

Different ears and setups might well impact upon perceived differences when using adapters/socket savers etc., OH...just one of the reasons I personally prefer the cool-running EL11s driving the EL12 Spezial powers...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #10,639 of 11,833
Different ears and setups might well impact upon perceived differences when using adapters/socket savers etc., OH...just one of the reasons I personally prefer the cool-running EL11s driving the EL12 Spezial powers...
Another reason to use socket savers (in addition to reducing the heat dissipation from the tubes to the chassis) is - you guessed it: to save the sockets from wear and tear. I know of people who had to replace the original tube sockets in their amps because of tube rolling.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #10,640 of 11,833
Another reason to use socket savers (in addition to reducing the heat dissipation from the tubes to the chassis) is - you guessed it: to save the sockets from wear and tear. I know of people who had to replace the original tube sockets in their amps because of tube rolling.

Too true mordy - with the sockets in Elise. But there were also those who removed both the tubes and socket savers, thereby negating the amp's socket saving!! :wink:

Also, I address more those I hope will not do so much tube rolling, no matter how much tempted...try to learn from others' mistakes/experimentation lol!!...(many of us have already been there! :ksc75smile:).

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #10,641 of 11,833
Too true mordy - with the sockets in Elise. But there were also those who removed both the tubes and socket savers, thereby negating the amp's socket saving!! :wink:

Also, I address more those I hope will not do so much tube rolling, no matter how much tempted...try to learn from others' mistakes/experimentation lol!!...(many of us have already been there! :ksc75smile:).

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #10,642 of 11,833
On a side note - to @OctavianH and others with/contemplating Elise as their headphone amp...I did an interesting A/B comparison with Icon Audio's HP8, which costs £850 vs Elise's now £1136 (less 23% for those outside EU), and which is highly regarded in Europe.

Whilst the HP8 is an extremely good amp, I personally found it no match for the Elise - in pretty well all departments. So as always, "you pays your money and......"!

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #10,644 of 11,833
I personally think socket savers are a must in the Elise/Euphoria to reduce heat build up. You can also avoid socket savers by running a fan, near Elise/Euphoria to blow across it, dissipating the heat.

And as H1 points out the EL series of tubes run very very cool.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #10,645 of 11,833

I plan to sell Elise in 2-3 years and maybe upgrade to Euforia if Euforia will be affordable and keep the same tube sockets and compatibility. This was one of the reason of acquiring socket savers, to keep the amp in mint condition.
A secondary reason was to improve heat dissipation. I have to say that these socket savers have a really good build quality, made from solid ceramic. They feel and look durable. But my first impression was that the sound signature changed a bit after I inserted them, and the bass quality and quantity decreased. So I will have to think and decide if I will let them mounted or remove them. My tube rolling usually ends when I find my perfect combination, so the socket wearing stops also.
The only consequence which remains relevant is the overheating of the amp's sockets, but normally the amp cooling system should be designed in such a way to avoid damage if you use tubes which are supported. So in normal conditions this should not be a problem either. In the end I will decide which is the best way for me to listen to it and keep it in that way. With or without socket savers, in the end what matters is to be pleased about it at least 3 years (as long as it sould work properly according to the included warranty).

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #10,646 of 11,833
Hi again guys.

To @OctavianH and others, I say there is no need whatsoever to apologise for stating - and showing - tubes/setups that may help folks in some way to approach their own favourites. This is, in fact, actively encouraged!!...as many of us have done in the past lol.

What I would repeat is, as has been stated by the genius engineer (Rob Watts) of Chord's top products, as well as certain of us here, that TIME is of paramount importance in coming to any accurate conclusion when assessing different equipment - especially tubes (valves!). Not only does said equipment need this precious commodity, but also do our ears and brain - it's surprising just how long it takes both to "settle in", before true appreciation sets in - especially the latter, not fully grasped by many!

So I suggest allowing plenty of time to let this particular necessity work its magic...the more the better! :gs1000smile:...but most of all - ENJOY! :ksc75smile:...CJ

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #10,648 of 11,833
If no one says anything I will say that I tried this combo:

CV181_T2_EL3_N.jpg

That red paint is creating me a lot of problems, since it began to fall easily when touching the tube. I have to admit I do not like it.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #10,649 of 11,833
If no one says anything I will say that I tried this combo:

CV181_T2_EL3_N.jpg

That red paint is creating me a lot of problems, since it began to fall easily when touching the tube. I have to admit I do not like it.
Hi OH,

I've not tried that combo yet, but I will give it a go. The last couple days I've been going with Psvane and 5998, which, imo is a fab combo, one thing to bear in mind with the EL3N is like the Psvane they need a lot of burn in, also have you tried them as drivers yet?, again, imo they sound very good with the EL12N as powers, or the other way around and also used as powers with the C3G, something worth trying when you get your adapters.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #10,650 of 11,833
CV181T2 + 5998 is indeed a very good combination. But CV181T2 + EL3N had too much bass for my taste with T1.2. So I just tried it and then kept the 5998 as powers. The adapters will come, but the local post office is the worst possible postal office, hard to say when I can try C3g with 5998, a combo for which I have quite great expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back