Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #8,746 of 11,833
The 6sn7 tubes have landed. So have a pair of RCA 6as7g new old stock. I can't believe how new these tubes look and the cheap price I paid from 2 aussie sellers. Sometimes you get a windfall such as this and it makes you really happy that you are not paying crazy prices.

These 7 tubes cost me US$120.

20170622_201553.jpg

20170622_201634.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #8,747 of 11,833
I'm going to talk about these RCA 6as7g first. Tubes cost me $40 a pair and new. Bargain !

I didn't rubbish this tubes yesterday. I said I was intrigued with them. Now having listened to them, I am indeed very intrigued by them. They are actually very good.... well with brighter headphones such as HD800 and T1. I could easily have elevated these RCA 6as7g to middle class, instead of farmers tubes. Beware though. Prices for these new have gone up quite dramatically.

They aren't just bass heavy and mid range prominence but overall, I detect no coarseness. Typical 6as7 sound, which is more textured and more layers. More warm and lushness. A perfect recipe for a cold winter's night. These will now be my daily power tubes, whilst the premium tubes are reserved for weekend listening. These and the Svetlana 6H13C will be my workers tubes. Can't go wrong here.

20170622_192422.jpg

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #8,749 of 11,833
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #8,750 of 11,833
I'm listening to some of the new arrivals (6sn7) with various power tubes. Not going to give any impressions any time soon but my smile is as wide as a lunar eclipse.

Now the question I ask myself is, 'Why didn't I roll with 6sn7 and 6as7 at the start some 1.5 years ago?' These are great musical unadulterated tones, that has a kind of pureness, with no fear of noise being induced from cheap 3rd party adapters. This is how Elise and Euforia should roll.... for me. I won't say any negative thing against anyone wishing to roll with non recommended tubes but this is how I will do it from here on.

This is what I'm listening with at the moment. RCA 6sn7gtb (1960s I think) with Gec 6as7g.

This is the description from the seller of the RCA 7sn7gtb.
Strong and matched used pair of RCA USA made 6SN7GTB twin triode tubes with offset black plates, long D getters, short black bases and tall clear glass. These tubes have the wire at the top across the top mica that joins the heaters.

ps.... these RCA 6sn7gtb are some of Mordy's favourite 6sn7.

20170622_210248.jpg

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #8,751 of 11,833
I've been spending this morning with the Sylvania 6sn7w / GEC 6080. The Sylvania 6sn7w sound like a very potent, dynamic, and in some cases extremely resolving pair. I'm not sure about the differences with the 6sn7wgt. As I was listening to the latter yesterday, I found myself thinking that I could stay with these and never look back for a long time—at least on my Elise / HD600 / Meridian Explorer 2 combo. In this respect, the 6sn7w didn't blow my mind. I wonder whether their sound will open up in time (quite possibly so—I mean, the 6sn7wgt did).

The HD600 scale like crazy though, I can honestly say that with confidence now. I'm extremely happy with the sound I'm getting out of them! It sounds like true to the recording, 'high fidelity' indeed.

IMG_5952.JPG

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #8,753 of 11,833
I've been spending this morning with the Sylvania 6sn7w / GEC 6080. The Sylvania 6sn7w sound like a very potent, dynamic, and in some cases extremely resolving pair. I'm not sure about the differences with the 6sn7wgt. As I was listening to the latter yesterday, I found myself thinking that I could stay with these and never look back for a long time—at least on my Elise / HD600 / Meridian Explorer 2 combo. In this respect, the 6sn7w didn't blow my mind.

I'm going to wait for all of you who have bought the 6sn7w to give your impressions first. I know what the differences are between Sylvania 6sn7wgt and 6sn7w but I want to hear what you guys think first.

See, I'm not just looking at your impressions of the tubes alone but I am noting the gear you're listening it with as well, in particular the headphone you're using. Remember it's about synergy. Bright tubes and bright headphones does not constitute a musical listening experience. Likewise warm tubes and warm headphones will turn your seat into a hot spring. Now you don't want to soak in a 40 degrees centigrade hot spring all day do you? You're likely to get a severe case of conjunctivitis of the bum.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #8,754 of 11,833
The HD600 scale like crazy though, I can honestly say that with confidence now. I'm extremely happy with the sound I'm getting out of them! It sounds like true to the recording, 'high fidelity' indeed.

True. The HD600 is a very good headphone with OTL amps such as Elise but HD800 is a different animal. It's a werewolf that transform with the bad moon rising. If you think the HD600 scale like crazy, wait till you listen to the HD800 with Elise and good tubes and a revealing dac. Then the HD800 will scale and you will go crazy.... very very crazy.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #8,755 of 11,833
These Hitachi tubes are crazily good. All 4 tubes spot a different brand but they clearly have the same constructions and as the seller stated, they are Hitachi tubes. All 4 are brand spanking new.

Now Hitachi as a corporation is big, very big. They ranked 38th in the Fortune Global 500. In Australia they feature prominently in construction machinery. So why would they bother with tubes or valve? Maybe Mr Hitachi was a tube lover.... long ago I mean. They don't make tubes anymore.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #8,756 of 11,833
I've been spending this morning with the Sylvania 6sn7w / GEC 6080. The Sylvania 6sn7w sound like a very potent, dynamic, and in some cases extremely resolving pair. I'm not sure about the differences with the 6sn7wgt. As I was listening to the latter yesterday, I found myself thinking that I could stay with these and never look back for a long time—at least on my Elise / HD600 / Meridian Explorer 2 combo. In this respect, the 6sn7w didn't blow my mind. I wonder whether their sound will open up in time (quite possibly so—I mean, the 6sn7wgt did).

I stupidly paid $300 for my pair of the Ws, and wish I had the money back. I find the W boring and un-involving compared to the WGT. Maybe your Ws will open up. Mine never did.

I've never heard the HD600, but have read a lot of good things about it. The HD800 routinely receives glowing praise here. I've never heard it either, and as far as I can remember I'm the only F-A amp owner who has the HD800S. I love mine and there are many on the HD800S thread who feel the same way. Perhaps it is not as "resolving" as the Classic, but I don't think Senn spent 5 years of research and is selling the S at a significantly higher price than the Classic just to push an inferior headphone.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #8,757 of 11,833
I was very keen on the Raytheon 6sn7gt black glass. It is NOS and unused. So I was eager to try it out in DV 336se with a single GEC 6as7g but alas it hums !!!

20170622_223831.jpg

However when I put it in Elise, there is zero hum. Zip, zip quiet. Here paired with a RCA 6sn7gt. Who says you can't mixed and match. I detect no unbalance but pure euphony. I think this weekend will be a washout, listening to music instead of painting the deck !!! I'll get Finn to paint it while I indulge in my tubes.

20170622_230456.jpg

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #8,758 of 11,833
I stupidly paid $300 for my pair of the Ws, and wish I had the money back. I find the W boring and un-involving compared to the WGT. Maybe your Ws will open up. Mine never did.

Really? :ksc75smile:

I'm really surprised that you guys impressions of the 6sn7w are so contrary to what I hear and to the sage of old impressions. It's unanimous decisions from the wise men of old that these are the best sounding 6sn7. What I hear is ultimate refinement and resolution. Pure class.

You may sell the 6sn7w to me for $30. I will take it off your hands..... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #8,759 of 11,833
Really? :ksc75smile:

I'm really surprised that you guys impressions of the 6sn7w are so contrary to what I hear and to the sage of old impressions. It's unanimous decisions from the wise men of old that these are the best sounding 6sn7. What I hear is ultimate refinement and resolution. Pure class.

You may sell the 6sn7w to me for $30. I will take it off your hands..... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I am a man of the 21st century, ergo old sages mean nothing to me. Of course, I may have gotten an old-sage-reject pair of Ws, and I wouldn't want to deplete your deck-paint fund by unloading it on you.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #8,760 of 11,833
Perhaps it is not as "resolving" as the Classic, but I don't think Senn spent 5 years of research and is selling the S at a significantly higher price than the Classic just to push an inferior headphone.

My opinion is that Sennheiser cave in and gave the public the upgraded HD650 they have been begging... in the form of the HD800S. Even if the 2 versions are the same price, I will still buy the HD800. The resolution that the HD800S is missing compared to the HD800 is significant. :jecklinsmile:

Remember this is very subjective and depends on who hears it. Personal preference plays a big part here. Forget about measurements. Trust your ears. There is no right or wrong. Neither is the definitive better headphone. It depends on who you ask.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back