Feeling Underwhelmed with my Setup
Feb 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
I only arrived here a month or two ago I think.
I came here after my girlfriend got me some SR80s for Christmas, I was astounded; I'd never heard anything anywhere near the quality of these headphones. I was hooked from the start - So hooked I immediately started looking for an amp. I stumbled around not really knowing what I was looking for for a while, but you guys all helped me out and pointed me in the right direction.
I settled on the new Graham Slee Voyager, which was said to be a great portable, as well as a reasonable home amp. It provided an extra kick and depth that i didn't know was possible from the Grados; still impressed. very much so.
I've splashed out and ordered an SR325i, as I'm still ravenous for some real high fidelity sound.
The wait hurts - it really does, as lately whenever i plug into my iPod -> LOD -> Voyager -> SR80s i feel thoroughly underwhelmed. The sound seems kind of bland, flat and uninspiring. What's going on? I was so happy not so long ago! Jaw droppingly so.
I'm pretty certain that none of my equipment's damaged at all as i take great care of it, especially if I'm moving it around. I don't know what's going on. Am i just getting used to it? I want that rush back!
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 17
Do you still have your Apple earbuds ? lol Try them, then compare to SR80...that should do it.

If you like the Grado sound then the 325i should bring that grin back.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 17
Yeah I've still got the little bastards
wink.gif

They sound hideous for sure, and when I put the SR80s on I'm substantially more impressed, but nowhere near as blown away as I was before.
I think maybe I'm just having a few off-days; I've been playing a lot of (quite loud) guitar recently, and I think my ears are still in 'guitar mode'.
I'm sure you're right about the SR325i's - and they're supposed to work well with my Voyager which is handy dandy
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 17
if its not your setup... its just that you got "used to" the sound...

same with anything in life. the "new sensation" effect is now over!

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 17
^

Yep - as people we can only maintain the excitment of new 'toy' for a short period of time. After that short period of time, the 'new' quickly becomes old and so we look for a new 'new'.

You have just discovered he reason behind the western world's consumerism - well done.

Easy way to get the buzz back - use your old setup for a week or two and then use your new gear - you will get that buzz all over again.

The truth is that no matter whether we have a $50 or $5,000 setup, most of us are always looking for that little bit more.

My post, or any of the others may not stop you from upgrading, but remember that audio is a life-long hobby. You don't need to have the perfect sound by tomorrow (you will never get it anyway).

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if its not your setup... its just that you got "used to" the sound...

same with anything in life. the "new sensation" effect is now over!

That sometimes happens to me even before whatever it was that I think I needed has arrived. Then is shows up and I say to myself, "Why did I need this again?" I've had headphones that have arrived only to just sit there for weeks at a time, and in one case, months! Of course, this was not so in the early days.

I think it's just a matter of going through cycles every now and then where your mood for it goes up and down. Thankfully, my mood is up for all things audio about 90% of the time.

When I did get around to that pair that sat there for months without being used, I then couldn't hardly put them down for several weeks. I think it was the 325i come to think about it. I gave them a 5 minute listen on day one, let them sit for 2-3 months, and then totally got into them for the longest time. I had much the same reaction to the HF-1, so maybe it's just a Grado thing.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 17
β22 on the bill of fare?

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Nah after this 325i arrives I've really gotta hold off buying gear for a while guys. Spending way too much - especially since I'm a student. Due to my purchases I've eaten only pasta all last week (and all next week I'll have to too!)
Better sound damn good!
I reckon I was just in guitar-ear mode. My setup's sounding a lot better already.
In regards to more cowbell - LOL.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I had a similar issue for a while.

Try giving your headphone rig a break for a week or so as well as purchasing/acquiring some new music.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 17
That's the beauty of a tube amp. When I'm itching for something new I can just spend $30 on a new set of tubes and I'm ok
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back